“Great staff !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fountains Hotel

You added Fountains Hotel to your Saves list
Fountains Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 St Georges Mall | cnr. Heerengracht & Hans Strydom, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Ranked #89 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Noordwijk, The Netherlands
“Great staff !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was our first time in Cape Town and because of an delay in our flight we arrived at the hotel after midnight. The main entrance was difficult to find so we parked the car at the roundabout. One of the staff - who was cleaning the floor in the restaurant - opened the backdoor immediately when he saw us so that we could enter the hotel. When we checked in the same person offered to drive the car with me to the secured parking of the hotel. Because of a mistake of our travel agent we had no voucher for the hotel but the person behind the desk made no problem of this. We could solve this in the morning (which we did) since the late hour of our arrival. Excellent service which made us feel very welcome. Room was clean with basic interior. We had a room with a view on the roundabout but not much trouble of any noise during the night. At the day the roundabout is busy with traffic. Breakfast was buffet-style with plenty of choice. Food quality was OK. Same remark for the offered dinner-buffet. Management checked both the buffets and the quality of the foods regularly. The location of the hotel is very convenient to the city center and also easy to find from the airport. Access to N1 and N2 is nearby the hotel. The overall rating 'very good' is mainly based on the very friendly attitude from the staff. They are fantastic people. The hotel itself and the rooms should be considered as 'average'.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FountainsGM, General Manager at Fountains Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear "Dutchtravel1970"

I am so please to hear that your found the Fountains Hotel Staff so friendly and willing to assist. We pride our self on going the extra mile for all our guests.

I trust that you further more enjoyed the complimentary internet that is available for all guests as well as the delicious complimentary water that we offer in the lobby. The water that we offer is part of our contribution of protecting the environment. We offer this water at no cost thus reducing the amount of plastic bottles that the hotel contribute to Cape Town's waste.

Please let us know when you are planning on visiting Cape Town again. We would love to make your stay a memorable one again.

Theo De Zeeuw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

First time in CT, I booked this hotel through Wotif.com.

Was a little challenging to find the driveway (accessed through pedestrian shared mall off Riebeeck St), but general location was good.

Checking in was easy and pleasant, room clean but furniture somewhat uncomfortable. Never mind though, wasn't planning on sitting in the room all day.

Walking distance to Long St bars and restaurants, and waterfront nearby.

Careful with your hire car, ramp to Carpark is narrow and there is heaps if evidence that many have met their Waterloo here.

Jacky at reception was fantastic, even arranging someone to visit the flower market on my behalf to arrange a gift for my dinner hosts one evening. Thanks Jacky.

Didn't eat in restaurant so can't pass comment; preferred together out and about.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear "StewLeeder"

I am so please to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Jacky was very pleased to see your comments of her excellent service.

Please contact us next time your in Cape Town. I would love you to try out our buffet. Our buffet host a large variety of dishes that are authentically South African. There are always at least 10 Salads to choose from, a soup of the day and a delicious hot section where the real South African Cuisine shines through. Then if that's not enough we have delicious dessert the is the perfect end to a delicious meal. Our Lunches are only R125 and dinners are R175.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Chosen for its proximity to the convention center and to the Cape Town Harbor, this hotel has faded but was probably 4-stars in its hey day. One unique feature is the presence of three separate plugs on the desk within the room – so you don’t have to worry about a converter for the unique South African electrical plugs. Very clever! However the building has not been well maintained. Upon our arrival, the toilet seat was broken, the window handle was off so you could not open or close the window (it was locked open), and the shower would not drain, despite my best efforts. While the staff came up immediately, they were only able to repair the toilet seat and wrench the window mostly closed. The personnel are friendly and it was nice to be greeted with a "welcome" fruit drink, but the staff doesn't follow through (our wake up call ended up waking up someone in room 415, not us in room 315) nor do they communicate accurately about the costs of services they offer or arrange. When we checked-in, we booked a taxi service to take us to the airport early the next morning. I was clearly quoted R245 for a 4 am pick up time. When I arrived the next day at the front desk at 4 am to check-out and take the taxi, I was told it hadn't actually been ordered and would take a "few" minutes but now was going to be R290 because it was before 8 am. Rather than being taken for a ride (literally), I hailed a cab from the street. "Elite Taxi" probably got us to the airport before the original taxi showed up at the hotel–and with a final cost of only R172! This hotel should invest in general maintenance, fresh paint and carpets, and staff education!

Room Tip: One that has working windows and toilets!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear "Lestertheinvestor "

Thank you for your feedback of your stay with us. it pleases me to year that you enjoyed the complimentary welcome juice that we offer to all guests upon arrival. I trust that you furthermore made use of our complimentary daily internet that is also available to all the guests.

I Have addressed the few concerns you had with all relevant parties and I can assure you that they have been dealt with accordingly.

Please contact us when you visit Cape Town again.

Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Having read a number of reviews i must admit to some trepidation when i booked 4 nights for myself and wife and friends (both middle aged couples) having travelled extensively for a number of years i do sometimes think that some people are not happy unless they can have a good moan. The hotel is 3 star..is in a superb location in Cape Town...the rooms are as good as comparible city hotels..the bathroom is adequate for needs (if you are have a fetish for perfect tiling, perhaps ypu should give it a miss). The staff were exceptional in their efforts to help with anything....the buffet breakfast surpassed expectations and the chef was on hand to provide whatever he could should you need it. We walked to the Waterfront for dinner on three nights, our last night we had dinner in the Hotel....scrumptuous buffet with fresh fish that was worth the cost alone. I will certainly revisit the hotel on future visits..thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: I can only vouch for the rooms we had ( 301/302), however the hotel was overall excellent value for...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear John C

Thank you for your lovely review of your stay with the Fountains Hotel. I am pleased to hear that you had a good stay with us and I will be communicating your review with all the employees.

I also trust that you enjoyed our very pro-environmental approach that we have implemented in all aspects of the Hotel. We recycle 90% of all waste produced by the hotel.

I hope that you made use of our daily 100Mb of free internet that we provide to all guests as well.

Please contact us next time you are in Cape Town to ensure that your next visit will be equally memorable.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The rooms we had were so terrible that we could not sleep. When we requested to change hotels we could not because our company had already paid and the hotel refused to move us. When we moved to the new upgraged rooms (thanks by the way), the noise levels there were shocking. At 09 pm we had teenagers playing in the passage and I reported it and nobody did anything about it. It is now 10pm and they are still making noise and nobody has come to resolve this. I will never come here again!!!!!!1

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
FountainsGM, General Manager at Fountains Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear "Nomusa s"

Thank you for taking the time to write a review reflecting your stay with the Fountains Hotel.

I greatly saddens me that you had a less than desirable experience at the Fountains Hotel. Unfortunately we do have a large number of international students residing in the Hotel and that would inevitably contribute to raised noise levels.

I can assure you we conduct floor patrols every 20 minutes in order to minimize the noise levels. I will investigate and implement further measures in order to ensure that the noise levels are kept to a minimum.

Please contact me the next time you visit Cape Town in order to provide you with a relaxing and accommodating stay at the Fountains Hotel.

Riverside, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed six days here with a group of 18 people. It was a mini-vacation for a group of coworkers.

OK, I will start with the good. The staff was very friendly. The location was close to Long Street and we could walk to several good restaurants. The street was also lined with bars and clubs if that is your thing. The breakfast was good.

The bad. Where do I start? I think the fact that they claim to be a four-star highlighted their inefficiencies. Let’s start with the room. The bathtub was covered in what looked like hair from someone shaving and when I tried to scrub it I realized it was stained. Then I found out several of our friends rooms had the same thing. There was no clock in the room. There was one bottle of “generic soap” and not even a wash rag in the bathroom. The TV was old. The rest of the building was decent but nothing even close to four star. The restaurant was an open area in the lobby which I ate breakfast from the buffet because it was included but would not waste my time there for any other meal and the bar did not serve cocktails. You could also hear noises in your room from the street below – cars, shouting, etc. Also, one of our guys had high lap top stolen from the hotel. I cannot elaborate because I do not know where in the hotel he was or who he thinks took it, but that just kind of shows you the caliber of place it is.

I think if they had called themselves a two star hotel, or maybe even a three, I would have felt differently – actually, our tour company would not have booked it since they promise four star or higher. But I was very disappointed. If you are 21 years old are going to use your hotel only for passing out drunk in after you have partied hard on Long Street, then this is the place for you. If you are looking for a nice hotel for a relaxing vacation – DO NOT stay here.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear "Amy A"

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback of your stay with us.
We will investigate the concerns you raised and will deal with them accordingly.

I trust that you did enjoy the other services we offered like the daily 100mb free internet that we and the environmentally friendly water that is available 24/7 in the Hotel Loby.

Fountains Hotel.
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Fountains Hotel

We had high expectations since this is rated as a four star hotel, but unfortunately we got disappointed. The room we had really need a make over, because that wasn't nice at all. They also said that they had a swimming pool and a training room, but it was not tempting to use those facilities at all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
FountainsGM, General Manager at Fountains Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Hilledur

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with the Fountains Hotel. It is regrettable that the Hotel did not meet your expectations.

I am glad to report to you that we are investigating the possibility of a upgrade next year and I would like to invite you to come and experience the Hotel again at that point.

Fountains Hotel

Been to Fountains Hotel? Share your experiences!