“World Cup Trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Village Lodge

You added The Village Lodge to your Saves list
The Village Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   49 Napier Street | de Waterkant, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Ranked #104 of 104 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Dublin, Ireland
“World Cup Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

We stayed at the Village Lodge for 4 games during the World Cup and fortunatly did not experience the problems of the above reviewers.Our room was small but more than adequate.The room was very well cleaned each day and had no problems with noise etc.
The breakfast was disappointing as i found myself constantly asking for a bowls spoons cold meats etc.The staff always supplied what you needed but constantly having to ask for these every morning was tiresome.There is definitly room for improvement in this area.
Attached to the lodge was Uncle Jacks bar whose lovely staff served us excellent food and beer / wine.We enjoyed watching other world cup matches there and in the evening take to the balcony for some chilling out and chat.
I would warn that i did recieve a curious e mail several weeks before we departed asking me to fill in a word document asking me for full disclosure of my credit card details from a certain Rodney Wolley preporting to represent the lodge and return it by e mail or Fax the info to them.As i like to think i am not a complete dodo i declined that particular request!!!
Baring that in mind you need to be on youe toes .Still we more than enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

We booked this hotel through a travel agency. Prior to paying the travel agency we researched the hotel and spoke to Rodney (who said he is the owner) who made a host of promises to us. To keep this story short he lied to us. He promised us a suite in the main building (no such room exists) and in turn gave us a shabby apartment miles away from the lodge itself. The apartment was unserviceable and no provision was made for breakfast although this was in our rate. We cancelled the reservation and Rodney said he would reimburse us. He has now disappeared and cannot be reached on the phone. On speaking to some other guests at reception (who were also trying to get money from this guy) it seems that he has lied to many customers about their accommodation during the World Cup (the reason we are in Cape Town.) We have therefore employed a lawyer on a no win no fee basis to retrieve our money from this person. I advise all other persons in the same position to do the same as this Rodney is dishonest in the extreme. DO NOT EVER GIVE THIS GUY YOUR MONEY AND CHECK ROOMS IF YOU HAVE THE DESIRE TO STAY HERE, THE ROOMS ARE ABOUT 6 TO 8 SQAURE METERS IN SIZE, AND MANY ARE NOT IN THE LODGE BUT MILES AWAY IN THE NEIGHBOURING AREA AND YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE BREAKFAST ALTHOUGH IT IS IN YOUR RATE.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

I have never stayed at this hotel, so i cant comment on what that would be like. I was supposed to stay here this summer, but my plans changed and i needed to cancel. I sent a written cancellation request (via email) in January. Cancellation policy was 30 days prior (my stay was to be in June). Today is May 22 and I am still fighting to get my refund. I have sent about 40 emails. I have received 2 responses, and only after I had called to ask for a written confirmation of my cancellation. I call once a week and speak to Gary. Every time he tells me the same thing. Yes Yes, I am checking this with my accountant and we will get this refunded. This is every week for 4 months. Incredible!!! I dont know how much longer this will go on.

So perhaps this is a great place to stay. I dont know. But I would never want to deal with these people

Stayed May 2010
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

Set in the heart of the Waterkamp Village close by the centre of Cape Town, The Village Lodge Portfolio is a friendly collection of cottages and houses centred on the Lodge itself in Napier Street which has a number of well equipped, clean rooms which are perfect for any visitor. There is a roof terrace with a bar, swimming pool, sunbathing areas and the most glorious view of Table Mountain.
Downstairs a delicious breakfast is served and throughout the rest of the day Thai cuisine is available.
The staff are friendly and helpful and always ready with a smile. They were a delight.

Price wise we are looking at very reasonable rates.

In close proximity there are restaurants, shops, cafe's and a great wee launderette.

We were stranded in Cape Town for two weeks due to the Volcanic activity in Iceland and the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. If we ever go back to Cape Town then we know where we will be staying.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

From the moment we arrived we liked what we saw and we were treated well. The boutique style hotel is very modern and trendy and has a really funky vibe about it. We were offered a juice on arrival and the lady that checked us in walked us to our apartment which was about 1 block away, and assisted with our bags.

The room they gave us was fantastic. It consisted of a queen bed and a single bed and the decor was extremely modern, with a flat screen tv and dvd player. It also had a decent sized balcony with a table and chairs to sit out and relax with a glass of wine.

De Waterkant area is just gorgeous! It was full of lots of different b&bs and cafes and shops. It had a really lovely feel about it. And we had some of the best and freshest sushi i've ever eaten just near the hotel at Tank restaurant, Cape Quarter. I definately recommend eating there. Also, they have half price sushi, sashimi and cocktails everyday from 12pm - 6pm! ( http://www.the-tank.co.za )

The hotel is exactly what you need for a stay in Cape town as it is very modern, clean and the location is fab. The hotel rooms are cosy but you don't need big, spacious rooms as you are never in it, as there are too many amazing things to do in this gorgeous city! We spent ours days on the rooftop enjoying drinks and food by the pool whilst admiring the view of Table mountain behind us. You could easily spend a week just relaxing here doing this!

I know i will definately be back to Cape Town next summer and I will definately book a room at The Village Lodge. :-) The only thing I would gaurantee next time is that we are in a room in the hotel, so we can just walk up and down to the pool and bar and breakfast.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

This hotel is really nice - good location, beautiful roof top terrace, friendly staff and tasty breakfast (the rooms were VERY small though). The only problem is that someone from the staff (or other person with keys) have stolen several objects (clothes and a necklace) from our bags and suitcases. What they stole were not especially valuable (and they probably didn't expect us to notice it either), but it is of course by principle totally unacceptable. We asked in the reception when we left, and have later written two e-mails without receiving any answer. We are very surprised, as the staff seemed both nice and service-minded. I would therefore strongly discourage everyone from staying at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Leeds, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

We booked self catering accomadation and were actually situated around the corner from the main hotel in a two bedroom apartment, it was well furnished and very clean. Location was excellent, i felt very safe here and it is close to the V& A waterfront but also has the Cape Quarter shopping centre closeby with shops and bars and restaurants.
Rooftop pool and sunbathing deck were small but adequate, great views of table mountain and the waterfront.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Village Lodge? Share your experiences!