“Nice and cosy small hotel with friendly and professional staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sugar Hotel & Spa

You added Sugar Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Sugar Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Main Road, Corner Main & Boundary Roads | Green Point, Cape Town Central 8005, South Africa   |
Ranked #22 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Nice and cosy small hotel with friendly and professional staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this small and cosy hotel i CT, Location is good and nice with secure parking and walking distance to many things. Staff was great and breakfast super!
I will for sure consider to stay at this place again on my next visit to CT

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My partner and I just returned from an amazing tour of South Africa. For our time in Cape Town we stayed 6 nights at the Sugar Hotel. This is a small boutique hotel, and the hotel itself, as well as the room, was absolutely beautiful. The decor in the lobby is very African chic and definitely easy on the eyes. The rooms are very large and perfectly appointed. The bathroom is HUGE. I have to say the bed at Sugar Hotel is one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in. I don't know if I was just exhausted by the daily tours but as soon as my body hit the bed I was out like a light. Oncemore was excellent from check-in to check-out. The rest of the staff was also amazing. The kitchen staff was very friendly and we actually looked forward to the wonderful breakfasts each morning (the granola and yogurt was to die for). The only complaint I would have doesn't really have much to do with the hotel itself, but the area it was located in. During the day it was a 15 minute walk to the Waterfront, but other then that there really isn't much around the De Waterkant area. And in the evening the area seems somewhat unsafe to walk around. We were actually accosted quite frequently for money, at one point rather forcefully. Once we figured this out it wasn't anything common sense and a quick taxi ride didn't fix, however if you want to walk around in the evening and feel safe this location probably isn't for you. But again, I don't fault the hotel for their location and if you don't want the hustle and bustle of a Waterfront hotel we would definitely recommend a stay at the beautiful Sugar Hotel! Thanks Mark, Oncemore and all the staff; we had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Room 5 was excellent.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Veyrier, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I've been going to this hotel for a few years now on business and I've always been very pleased with my stays. The hotel staff is warm and welcoming, always happy to help. The location is good (despite being "on the road") as it's close to the V&A Waterfront, it is close to the new stadium and fairly close to the ocean (good for runners). The rooms are very nice and spacious with a very nice bathroom with separate bath and shower. Breakfasts are nice too. They can prepare lunch and/or dinner but you need to warn them in advance as there's not a permanent chef. The massage therapists are usually good. There is free parking (limited space though). The downside would be due to the fact that it is a small boutique hotel so some services that you find in large hotels (business center, gym, ...) may not be there but I still recommend this hotel, it is good value.

Room Tip: Rooms 6 or 7 are the best.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel is a great value for what you get. I have stayed there with my husband and 13 months old son and we have enjoyed everything in the hotel. The breakfast is nice with lots to choose from the menu, the rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Our room was on the main street but gladly we did not get bothered by the traffic noise as the windows were sound proof.
We have requested a baby bed prior to arrival and it was already in our room when we arrived. However they don't have a child seat at the restaurant which made our breakfast a bit of a challenge. Also, I found the service a bit slow and unorganized but that's probably because there was only one person who's looking after the entire hotel and the service which is very common in boutique hotels. The following day we have asked for breakfast in our room and they had no problem to bring it up to our room.
About the location it's a walking distance to the waterfront and there are lots of nice restaurants for lunch/ dinner in the neighborhood. The walk to the waterfront and in the neighborhood is pleasant as you see lots of nice houses, hotels and lots of greenery.
We would not hesitate to come back especially that the staff were very friendly to us and to our little son.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Maianga, null, Angola
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

There's nothing we didn't like about this hotel, everything was just perfect. It's truly a five star hotel without feeling it in your pockets. The rooms are excellent: spacy, modern, comfortable and they even offer you tea, coffee and cookies for free. All staff is very helpful and the quality of service is high - a special thanks to Oncemore! The hotel is small so all the attention goes to you. We couldn't wait to start the days with their tasty breakfasts.The pool is quite small but the weather didn't allow us to enjoy it. As to the location, the hotel is quite close to the waterfront - just 15m walking. We will definitely return to this hotel and we are already recommending it to our closest friends and family. Thanks Sugar hotel for five worderful days!

Room Tip: Room number 2 is just perfect, with lots of space and a view to the main street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Perfect place to spend my week in Cape Town. I have absolutely fallen in love with this city, and it's in part due to the awesome staff and experience at Sugar Hotel.

The rooms are spacious, comfortable and modern. The location is convenient, close to the water front and walking distance to Long street. There are only 7 rooms, and the staff make you feel you are the one and only guest!

Breakfast started with a delicious yogurt, honey and fruit patter while you ordered a warm dish to be prepared to your liking. Great start to the day.

I can't stay enough good things about the staff. They went out of their way to help me plan every single detail of my tours and experiences around Cape Town. Nkosi (who was working for most the week I was there) and the other staff working at the reception were always there for you to give recommendations, make reservations, and truly customize your stay in Cape Town.

I hope I can visit again and stay in this beautiful and intimate hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here for four nights. The great thing about this hotel is the small size; meaning that the hotel is pretty quiet and the staff get to know you by name and offer great service. The room I stayed in was perfect size, very modern and had a sweet little balcony with small pool (too cold for swimming this time of year though). The breakfast served in the downstairs cafe was awesome, freshly cooked and much better than the usual crusty hotel buffet. The hotel is only a 5-10 minute walk from the waterfront (or a cheap taxi ride). Very well priced as well. Would stay here again if I get the chance to return to CT

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sugar Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!