“Attention to detail and amazing customer service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sugar Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Sugar Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Sugar Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Main Road, Corner Main & Boundary Roads | Green Point, Cape Town Central 8005, South Africa   |
Ranked #23 of 101 hotels in Cape Town Central
Tacoma, Washington
“Attention to detail and amazing customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Unfortunately, in most parts of the world, Customer Service is dead. Not at Sugar Hotel. All of the staff were amazing and did everything they could to make my 4-night stay memorable, and easy. Because of the small number of rooms in the hotel, I felt that I was an important friend, not just another person lost in a cold, huge, generic hotel. Everyone (from reception to chef to waitress) were friendly and top-notch.

The breakfast was excellent! (Although, beware, if you do want to dine in the restaurant for lunch or dinner, you must let the staff know in the morning, otherwise you'll have to eat elsewhere as they buy all their food fresh to prepare specifically to your request.)

The tiny details (like the triple filtered water tap in the bathroom and bath salts for the bathtub) were a nice touch. I also received the "Quick Fix" spa treatment (mini-pedi, facial, and massage) and it was excellent. Word of advice, it took me 3 days to get a reservation at the spa (they were booked the entire time), so try to book early if you want any spa treatment during your stay.

Everything: aircon, (free!) WiFi internet, TV, water temps, etc worked perfectly. The location is about a 15-20 min walk from the V&A Waterfront, but taxis are also readily available. I felt very safe in the neighborhood and can only hope to stay here again someday! Thanks again Sugar Staff!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Sugar Hotel is centrally located and an easy walk to lots of shops and good restaurants. We love the location, the ambience, the breakfasts and the room was really well appointed. The owners were very much in attendance and made the stay memorable. In fact, we bumped into them on their holiday and appreciated the recognition. The food was wonderful but we did not book early enough for dinner - if you stay here, make the reservation when you check in! It looked amazing. We truly can't say enough about the hotel and staff and would stay here when we go back to Cape Town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I spend a weekend at the Sugar Hotel for the Jazz Festival from the 30th March until the 1st April 2012 and the hospitality was fantastic. We had an awesome time on this weekend as it included 3 hours of spa treatment on the dirst day and a 5 hour winelands tour on the next.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

On the 9th of December 2012 my wish for accommodation where I can just relax came true the minute I walked into the Sugar Hotel.

Although we only spent one night here (was pre-accommodation for a tour we were going on) it is one of the best places I have stayed so far. From the minute you walk into the door you are met by friendly and helpful staff who will go out of their way to assist you.

Our room was spacious and beautifully decorated with everything you could possibly need. Because we had an early departure the next day the staff offered us the breakfast menu on arrival and sorted out our orders so that we would have the meals ready the next morning in our room at the requested time, and I can assure you the delivery was not a minute late

As a travel agent who has seen a number of hotels around the world I am happy to say that you will not be dissapointed if you book here! Clean and relaxing with beautiful decor the Sugar Hotel felt like a little peace of heaven in our busy travel schedule and is definitly the place I will be staying at on my return in 2013

oh before I forget - on our morning of departure we had asked the staff where we could buy water bottles to pack in for our tour. A minute later one of the staff members returned with ice cold water bottles that they had wrapped for our journey - now thats what I call service

Thank you Sugar Hotel for making my stay absolutely wonderful!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
München
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

From the first minute you feel more then welcome in this small boutique hotel in Cape Town. The rooms are very nicely done and pretty big in size. The cute hotel is located in Green Point, in walking distance to the Green Point Stadium and the V&A Waterfront. The hotel staff is excellent and made us feel at home. I am very happy that I picked the Sugar Hotel for our stay in Cape Town and am sure that I will be back, some day!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and myself spent 8 nights at the Sugar Hotel and Spa from the 24th of November to the 2nd of December, 2012. We couldn't have made a better choice. The hotel was fantastic value for money. We were being urged by our South African travel agent to book at the Cape Grace. Thankfully, we did not. That would have cost us 3300 Rand per night as against the 1335 Rand per night we paid at Sugar (we got a fabulous deal on their website---stay 4 nights, pay for 3---so we stayed 8 nights and paid for 6). Thus we saved close to 16000 Rand for the 8 nights which we splurged on eating, drinking, shopping, massages, taxis, etc, etc, etc.

Now, coming to Sugar Hotel. Large sized rooms with equally large sized toilets (shower + bath). Great breakfast every morning comprising fresh fruit, cereal & yogurt, eggs, bacon, sausages, grilled mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, potatoes, toast, butter, cheese, jam, coffee and juices (orange, mango, apple and cocktail). Served sometimes by Riyaan, the hands on owner. Superb start to the day, I must say.

The overall service was excellent with Nkosi, Oncemore and Serenity outstanding. They checked availability for Robben Island and the cable car (to the Table Mountain), made reservations for restaurants, arranged for taxis and generally helped us out every which way.
Riyaan and Mark (the chef and co-owner) have very good staff indeed.

I was also able to use the Internet (computer) in the office free of charge on the couple of occasions I needed to. They also have a laptop that can be used.
For the price we paid and for the value we got, I am ready to bet that we could not have done better. For the two of us, Sugar Hotel will be our hotel of choice whenever we visit Cape town.

Room Tip: Book on the hotel website for good deals.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I found this hotel online and it had good reviews. I went ahead and booked it for two nights and booked a downtown hotel for two nights, just in case one didn't pan out. I absolutely loved it, and was sad I was only staying for two nights. It is a very cute, trendy boutique hotel. The rooms are large, as is the bathroom, and everything is very clean.

Everyone there is so nice and helpful. They helped us book a shark cage diving tour. The breakfast every morning was amazing! And the free parking was great too. I would definitely choose this hotel again.

I didn't rate the location because I don't feel like I know enough about it. We were only there 2 days, so we didn't explore the hotel area too much. We knew where we wanted to go already, and had a car. It was easy to get to the waterfront driving. And we also drove to Boulder Beach and Table Mountain from there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sugar Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!