“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blackheath Lodge

Save Saved
You added Blackheath Lodge to your Saves list
Blackheath Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Blackheath Road | Sea Point, Cape Town Central 8005, South Africa   |
Ranked #3 of 101 hotels in Cape Town Central
Mulhouse, Alsace, France
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have stayed at Blackheath Lodge a few times now. I always feel at home, the rooms are great, it's well located but quiet, love the decor etc, but most of all what I like is that everyone is so welcoming and they bend over backwards to help. Really, an exceptional place with exceptional people running it!

Room Tip: the loft rooms are always nice - you get to see a bit of the sea!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

1,206 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Simply put: it's absolutely fantastic and I will stay here every time I am in Cape Town regardless of the purpose of my visit. However, this fantastic home-away-from-home deserves more than simple murmurings of "well done!" Therefore, I'll list the reasons why you should stay there too!

My credentials: In 2011 and 2013, I stayed here for over 2 weeks during a business workshop with 5 of our clients. As the group leader, I am more than a bit picky to make sure the clients feel 100% catered to and cared for. We have high expectations for the places we visit and we have chosen to stay at the Blackheath twice now during this training workshop. Therefore, I feel like a very good resource for this review.

1. The staff
From the moment you email or call the Blackheath, they treat you like family. Antony and his staff will send you helpful tips to plan your vacation or business trip. They will insure your payments are accurate and follow up with you before you arrive to insure you are ready for your visit with them. They will find you the best restaurants, coffee shops, even hair salons and massage parlors! Should you merely mention you are fond of something, they will insure it is available whenever you ask. They had coffee ready for me the moment I walked downstairs in the morning and would offer my favorite wine when we arrive back after a long day. Charlay, Jean-Claude, Godfrey & Peter could not have been more helpful, more caring about our needs and more reliable.

2. The location
You are away from the street noise of Main Road and feel like a local resident! The location is a short walk from the main attractions but safely tucked away from hustle and bustle of the beach goers and revelers. While some rooms have a view of the ocean, each room is exquisitely decorated with hand-picked touches that makes you want to curl up in the comfortable beds and couches and just stare at the artwork and coffee table books. The linens are crisp, clean and sparkling white. The bath towels are huge and fluffy. Each bathroom is spacious and worthy of a white glove test. Each room has a flat screen tv, dvd player (with a huge collection of new releases you can use for free in the lobby), cable television, a hair dryer, house phone and a cell phone to use while you are in residence. The common areas are filled with comfortable chairs, lots of books and tour guides to help your stay be more enjoyable. The pool area has plush sleeping chairs and lush vegetation surrounding the beautifully tiled lounging area.

3. The Meals
Oh, I dream about this when I am away! Every morning, they have fresh fruit of pineapple, apples, pears, kiwi, bananas and oranges PLUS yoghurt, granola, cereals, baked healthy tarts, coffee, organic teas and smoothies AND you can order omelets or scrambled eggs with fresh mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes or green onions. Each breakfast comes with hearty, tasty multigrain bread with preserves and butter as well. You will not need lunch because the food is so delicious and filling.

All meals are served in a bright and cheerful common area with a potbelly stove for those cold winter mornings and big paddle fans for cooling off during the summer months. You can also ask for your breakfast to be sent to your room. Likewise, they are so accommodating to even save a late plate if you want to do a sunrise tour and will miss the regular hours for breakfast.

You can also order sandwiches and cheese plates all hours of the day. Also, they have a full bar with spirits, sodas, beer and, best of all, a huge collection of local wines!

4. Business Services
This is not just a luxury hotel for safari or beach travelers. If you need business services, the entire hotel is linked to free wifi. They have a common use computer in the common area. Likewise, they will print off boarding passes, itineraries, tour tickets, etc. for free. They have laundry and dry cleaning service and service is same day. They make reservations, confirmations and book whole tours for you. Need a taxi? They will arrange it for you and negotiate a price for longer trips. Need a car? They can find you the best rates for rental cars in the city. They are a whole service location without the extras and they do it with class and a smile.
______

In conclusion, I simply cannot recommend this location enough. You will find that Blackheath is a location that will make you want to come to Cape Town, just so you can stay with your friends there again. Please feel free to ask me any questions about this review as I will happily oblige! Thank you to the entire staff for such a great stay & making our entire workshop family feel so well cared for during our stay!

Room Tip: I love room #6 & 7!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

It would be hard to find a better place to stay in Cape Town than the Blackheath Lodge in Sea Point. Only if you wanted to be closer to the center of town, but why? Blackheath is only a ten-minute taxi ride from downtown, and Sea Point has it's own attractions and restaurants.

Three things distinguish Blackheath: (1) an owner and staff always trying to please and facilitate their clients' visit; (2) a sumptuous breakfast offering just about anything any reasonable person could want, cooked to order (no extra charge) if you don't find it on the well-supplied buffet table; (3) clean and comfortable rooms. Owner Antony is also adept at negotiating favorable taxi fares, lower than the meter, for his guests. I spent two weeks there the first half of June. I will recommend it to all my friends.

Room Tip: My "new" room (recently remodeled), downstairs on the other side of the pool from the main...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was my first time in Cape Town and a good friend of mine recommended Blackheath Lodge. I was debating choosing a hotel with a view on waterfront or this one, and I'm so glad I chose Blackheath Lodge. There may be no view, but the lodge is so adorable and service so exceptional that I quickly forgot about the view and was very happy about the place. It is located in a quiet street, you can walk down to the beach area, and there are restaurants nearby or short taxi ride away.
Antony was really a real host, and so was the staff. You can see that they are happy to be working there, and the owners give back generously. They also have an education plan for their staff's children.

The entire place is decorated with so much attention to details, from the honour bar to the "do not disturb" sign! Very original. The breakfast was perfect.

I will have to return to Cape Town for an extensive visit, I was there only for 2 nights, and I would very much like to return to Blackheath Lodge.

Thank you for a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Each rooms seems very different, and I assume size vary.Mine (10) was very quiet, and had a little t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I've been a long time user of Trip Advisor reviews prior to booking, but I've never posted a review on my behalf. After my wife and I stayed at the Blackheath Lodge for 3 Nights in June, I felt compelled to share with the world what a pleasure it was to stay at such an amazing property.

Antony is an amazing host and he went above and beyond to help us personalize our stay in Cape Town. If we had a question, he not only had the answer...he had a plan. We've never experienced such a level of personalized conceirge service at any hotel. We had a shark diving adventure planned, that was cancelled due to bad weather. This threw a huge wrench into our Cape Town plans, but Antony picked up the phone to call other Shark tour companies to see if they were going to operate on that day. It ended up that no companies were going out to sea, but Antony called again the next day and was able to book a trip for us out of Simon's Town. The effort he put into making our hopes of diving with White Sharks come true was something truly special and something you won't find at any other hotels.

Let us not forget...upon arriving, we were pleasantly surprised to find out that the standard double room that we had booked had been upgraded to an amazing two bedroom suite. If you are thinking about booking the suite for your stay...don't hesitate. It has an amazing bathroom with a rain shower, a balcony view of the ocean, a barbeque and two chaise lounges on the outside deck, a kitchenette, and an extremely comfortable bed. We were so happy with our room!

And one last thing...breakfast was amazing. The eggs and bacon were do die for and we couldn't eat enough fresh fruit. They also have a Nespresso for guests to make their own lattes and cappucinos. There's a Nespresso store at the V&A Waterfront so if you have a favorite blend that Antony does not carry, you could always pick some up and bring it over. =)

Overall, we were extremely satisfied with the Blackheath Lodge. I'd love to go on and on about our stay, but I need to get a good night's sleep. Thank you to Antony and the amazing staff at Blackheath Lodge (especially Jean-Claude) for all the memories. We will certainly be staying here again when we return to Cape Town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in June 2013 and could not have been happier! Antony and his team went above and beyond to make our stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible, even before we arrived! The rooms were delightful, the breakfasts were delicious, and the afternoon tea was lovely (especially for the cold and rainy weather we had while in Cape Town). Two day trips and a car rental were easily organized for us, and many restaurant recommendations were spot on. We would not only highly recommend everyone stay here, we can't wait to return to our new "home base" in Cape Town! Thank you Antony and team!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We decided to go for our honeymoon to South Africa in May 2013. The first accommodation was the Blackheath Lodge. And I have to say it was an excellent beginning of our trip.
Warmly welcomed by the owner we were invited for lemonade as the room was not ready yet (we were pretty early). We directly had a nice discussion and he was very interested in our trip. So he gave us tips where to go and what to do.
Also, he recommended excellent restaurants for the evening. So trust his words and you will not do a mistake.
Overall hospitality was excellent. Whenever we had a question the owner or an employee was there to help, to make bookings, etc.
This made the place unique. But not only because everybody was so friendly but also because the place is cosy and romantic; there is a small pool in the patio surrounded by palm trees. The rooms were elegant and the breakfast room very nicely designed. You actually did not want to leave for the day.
Food (this place only serves breakfast) was excellent too. You had a choice of fruits, brownies, etc. Coffee was also great (it seems simple but it is not that easy to really make a good one).
Also, you could decide on how you want to have your eggs, with which ingredients, etc.
Everything tasted very good.

Overall, there is really nothing to complain about. And I am very critical.
Should I be one more time in Cape Town I definitely will choose this place again as here the customer is really king (also this seems to be easy but is very seldom fully practiced). Blackheath Lodge is one of the rare exceptions. It is a small oasis (of calm) in the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Blackheath Lodge? Share your experiences!