I truly do not know how to begin this review because I have so many positive things to say about the Blackheath Lodge. So many adjectives describe this hotel: superb, excellent, above expectations, homey...Oh I could go on but let's get to the review!
I brought a group of 9 people for a two week workshop and we looked around at many well rated hotels in Cape Town but Blackheath stood out above the rest. My colleagues have been simply elated with the location, the service, the food, the staff and their rooms.
Upon booking, the hotelier Antony will follow up with a phone call and answer any questions you have about the area, local restaurants, suggestions for excursions and things to do while you are here. He is prompt in his email replies (usually less than 24 hours and most often within the hour). His suggestions have proven spot-on every time.
The photographs are completely accurate and in many cases do not do the charm of this wonderful hotel justice. Many times you see rooms that look big and are not or courtyards that are supposedly very spacious and green and are small and cramped. That is entirely not the case here. The photos only give you a taste of what you can expect.
My room (#7) is perfect for a business traveler like me. Huge sitting area, plenty of room for luggage, a huge comfortable bed, beautiful television with a DVD player (there is a HUGE selection of DVDs in the lobby to select for a night in), a hair dryer and refridgerator that can be stocked with your favorite beverages, affordable laundry and dry cleaning service, a very clean, modern bathroom with soaps, lotions, shampoo all made specially by a local shop for the hotel and, best of all, high speed, reliable internet for free! This couldn't be farther from a chain hotel with no personality. Each room is uniquely decorated with Antony's personal touch and you feel like you are staying in your own apartment.
The food for breakfast is above amazing. Never before have I felt so catered to. Small tarts of granola and jam, egg pastries, fresh fruit, granola and yoghurt are just the start. Then one of the lovely staff will ask if you want a cooked breakfast of eggs with cheese, bacon, tomatoes or mushrooms with homemade whole grain toast. And then the coffee!
Oh the coffee! Fresh, dark French Press coffee is delivered to your table and the scent is divine! Coffee and a large selection of herbal and caffeinated tea are available all day long with ginger snaps and snacks. The honesty bar has local wines and beers and sodas all day as well.
Antony and his staff go out of their way to make you feel at home and catered to. Fresh, crisp, high quality linens are changed daily. The staff is sweet, accommodating and supremely friendly. Your belongings are safe with them and the hotel is kept impeccably clean. They all truly go above and beyond.
You are located in Sea Point just up the street from a lovely supermarket, restaurants and the beautiful seaside walking trails. Our student have gone running and walking in the mornings and we've walked safely to the VA Waterfront for dinner and shopping with ease. Antony has a reliable and safe taxi service and will help you plan all your activities with ease.
I realize I am uncharacteristically overjoyed with this hotel if you read my other reviews but, as someone who travels 6 months out of the year, this is the first hotel that I feel like I could come back to again and again and be perfectly happy with my entire trip. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough! I wish I could give it 10 stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blackheath Lodge is a Victorian guest house situated below Signal Hill, a stone's throw from the city, Waterfront and well-known beaches. Stylish bedrooms, excellent personalized service and warm hospitality. Enjoy breakfast on the terrace overlooking the pool and garden. Come home to a sundowner after a busy day of sightseeing or power business dealings, safe in the knowledge that a quiet, comfortable night's sleep awaits you. Airport transfers. Credit Cards. Children 12+. TGCSA 4-Star Guest House. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda and Venere so you can book your Blackheath Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blackheath Hotel Cape Town Central
- Blackheath Cape Town
- Blackheath Lodge Cape Town, South Africa