“the most reesponsive and resourceful tour guide i've ever met” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AWOL Tours

AWOL Tours
V&A Waterfront Information Centre | Dock Road, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa
+27 83 234 6428
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: AWOL Tours offers exclusive hiking and biking adventures, with opportunities for genuine cultural exchange and natural encounters, personalised to ensure your extraordinary travel experience. AWOL Tours is a leading outdoor travel specialist for hiking and bicycle tourism in Cape Town, South Africa. We offer you opportunities for breathtaking adventure and authentic interactions. Our experienced AWOL team balance expert trip planning with eco-friendly activities, creating thrilling, memorable travel experiences for you. We've been at the forefront of responsible tourism since 2002, with repeated awards and happy client reviews to prove our success.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
“the most reesponsive and resourceful tour guide i've ever met”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

I had a very short time in cape town and I wanted to visit a township to see how such a big part of the South African population really lives, mostly out of sight of the main tourist attarections. This is siomething you need to do with someone who knows their way around, but I didn';t have time to take one of the organised township tours, However, when I apprached the AWOL desk in the information centre at the V&A waterfront Rudi was so incredibly helpful in thinking up a way that I could do and see what I wanted even though it didn't fit into any standard package or formula and Ihe had no advance warning of what I was looking for. I have rarely met any tourism operator who listens so carefully to what I wanted and put so much care and creativity into finding a solution. My visit to the tpwnship was an unforgettable expereince and showed me whole other dimension of South Africa that I would never have seen. If I gpo back to Cape Town I will certainly ask Rudi to organise my next visit!

Visited September 2011

New York City, New York
“Best Tour EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My fiance and I hired AWOL to plan a bike tour for us around the wine lands outside of Capetown for a day on our honeymoon. AWOL customized a trip for us to fit what we wanted and take us to wineries that were unique and off the beaten path! We ended up with a trip that we will never forget! The wine, scenery and experience were all great! And best of all our tour guide, Leonard, was very friendly, knowledgeable and a ton of fun! He definitely showed us a great time, provided us with whatever we asked for and answered all of our random questions about the area. Thanks AWOL and Leonard!!

Visited September 2011
UGOAWOL, Owner at AWOL Tours, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Thanks for your wonderful review on your personalised Winelands cycling experience with AWOL Tours. We are pleased that you entrusted AWOL Tours to plan the perfect day whilst on honeymoon . We look forward to seeing you back in Cape Town for another personalised AWOL experience. All the best for your wedding and a great life together.
Essen, Belgium
“A lifetime experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

An interesting tour, during which you get to see the very core of South-Arfrica. An intense experience that I will never forget.

UGOAWOL, Owner at AWOL Tours, responded to this review, September 25, 2011
Thanks so much for coming on an AWOL Bicycle Township Tour and sharing your tour experience on TripAdvisor. We are really pleased that we were able to show the 'real' South Africa and it proved to be a life changing experience. We hope to see you back in South Africa in future. Regards
Sally
Cape Town, South Africa
“Cycled from V&A Waterfront and around Cape Town City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Left on bicycles from AWOL'S office at V&A. Cycled through the Bo Kaap area and into Company Gardens. Back down Adderley Street mainly along designated cycle routes. One must still keep an eye open for pedestrians and traffic. Stopped at the famous Flower Sellers Market in Adderley Street. Returned to V&A via Green Point Stadium and Eco Gardens and Sea Point beachfront. Weather was fantastic for August. Sally, our tour guide, gave a wonderful commentary on the History of Cape Town. A great way to learn about the City of Cape Town.

Berlin
3 attraction reviews
“This tour inspired me to take on city cycling in Cape Town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Firstly thank you to Sally who took me and our little group on the tour in Cape Town. We took in all of the main sights and learned a lot about past events that have made up Cape Town (and South Africa's) rich history. I was impressed by how easy it was to cycle within the inner city - on a dutch-style bike without gears! - and by just how much there is to see between the V&A Waterfront (where AWOL is located) and the city itself.

The tour was great, the bikes super comfortable and I am officially a city tour convert! Thanks again Awol! x