First of all may I say how amazed I was to read the previous review criticising the customer service at An African Villa. We were in South Africa for 3 weeks, staying mostly in guest houses and this one stood out for many reasons, one being the friendliness and helpfullness of all the staff. Nothing was too much trouble and the staff went out of their way to help when a) they managed to get us tickets for Robben Island when every other company had advised us they were sold out, b) Louis phoned round to find a restaurant for us to spend New Year's Eve when many places were full - Rozenhof where the food was delicious, c) they surprised us one evening by delivering a bottle of champage on ice to our room. We'd mentioned when we booked the room several months previously that this was a special holiday to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary and they'd obviously made a note of that. Very nice! d) they took our laundry to a laundrette because their usual service was closed over the holidays and e) Louis found somewhere for us to have a shower before our late flight as we had to check out at 11am and they were full so couldn't extend our room.
When we arrived Louis sat down with us and gave us info about the guest house, the area, restaurants, etc. All recommendations they gave us were excellent. There is an information guide in your room with more tips and there are even numbers supplied for a taxi company, restaurants, main tourist attractions, etc which you can dial free of charge from your room or the lounge.
The guest house is absolutely beautiful. It's decorated in contemporary African style - very classy - and the rooms are gorgeous. The breakfast selection is comprehensive including a range of items to select yourself (fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereal, etc) and full cooked breakfast to order from the very friendly staff. The breakfasts are delicious. There are 2 computers in the lounge offering free internet access and if you have your laptop with you there is free wireless access in your room (the guest house we stayed in at Camps Bay wanted to charge us R200 to access the internet from our room!!). The location is great too - it's situated in Tamboerskloof and easy to walk to restaurants and shops (even at night) and just a R40 taxi ride to the waterfront.
We didn't have any complaints. If we were being really picky the only thing we could think to improve would be to have a fridge in our room so as to have easy access to cold drinks during the night. However, there is an honesty bar in the kitchen where you can purchase water, soft drinks, wine and beer. We would recommend An African Villa without hesitation and look forward to staying here again in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Villa is much more than that! It is in fact three houses which are part of a Victorian terrace dating from 1892. The double story houses have been joined together and so the inside spaces are much larger than the facade suggests. It's like walking into a TARDIS someone has written on Tripadvisor! There are 12 rooms and the hotel is owner managed.Location is vital when choosing a spot for you vacation and this more than a Villa is within an easy walk of all tourist attractions in the city area. The others (like the fabulous beaches) are a short taxi ride away.There is a small plunge pool in a peaceful courtyard where a very full breakfast is served in summer. (In winter there's a sociable dining room and an eco-friendly fire blazing). Your hosts are very careful to offer you as much information as you want and they will arrange car rental, restaurant reservations, tours etc. as required.Free internet on 2 computers in a library area and wireless access is available in all rooms. At night the night porter will set out complimentary sherry and port and at other times there is an honesty bar in the kitchen. Parking is on street and there is no charge (street guards patrol) but you should not need a car from this well placed hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your An African Villa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- An African Villa Hotel Cape Town Central
- An African Hotel
- An African Cape Town
- An African Villa Cape Town, South Africa