“Clean rooms, great location, and priced well” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The New Tulbagh Hotel

You added The New Tulbagh Hotel to your Saves list
The New Tulbagh Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Ryk Tulbagh Square, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Ranked #95 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Orlando, Florida
“Clean rooms, great location, and priced well”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I booked this hotel fairly last minute after strongly considering just backpacking at a hostel. When I saw how cheap the rooms were here, I couldn't justify not shelling out a little more cash for a private room. I admit, I was quite skeptical of the hotel because the rates were so low...but the reviews on Trip Advisor were good, so I figured I would check it out.

I'm very glad I ended up booking here. The room was huge and clean. There were four single beds, which I still think is odd but whatever, and they were very comfortable. The bathroom was what I expected--the shower was clean and the water was hot. The only complaint is the Wi-Fi reception on my iPhone. The service was weak on the side farthest away from the room door and my wifi would sometimes drop. That being said, this hotel is still far superior with respect to wi-fi because there is not a cap on time or data amounts like you will find at other hotels (one of those little hidden fees you will find all over Cape Town). The location was great and within walking distance to the bars and clubs I wanted to visit and tot he V&A Waterfront.

I would recommend this hotel to people who are traveling on a budget but who don't want to sacrifice the basics.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Ewald F, Manager at The New Tulbagh Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you very much for you kind words, you where a great guest to have with us.

Ewald Fendler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Schwenksville, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed here for three nights on the Capetown extension of an OAT safari. It was awful. First the towels were stained, the bedding was yellowed, the shower flooded the bath when you turned it on, the shower tile was so slippery I almost fell as did my husband, the toilet was literally behind the door, the lighting was awful, the noise all night was terrible - drunks cursing and screaming all night long under our window. There was only the quilt - no top sheet and the room was hot - the aircon never really cooled it down. The extra sheet they brought was so short it must have been for a crib and barely came above my waist. The sink stopper could not be removed yet to would not stay open. No luggage racks, bad bad pillows. When someone took a shower around us it sounded like a tsunami was rolling over us. And people were showering all night! The room smelled musty and moldy even though there was no mold I could see. The food at the breakfast buffet excepting the very good fruit, was AWFUL. REALLY AWFUL. Everything that was supposed to be hot like eggs and bacon and sausage was cold. Not just lukewarm or cool but COLD. It took an act of Congress to get a cup of tea and you can forget a second cup. Staff excepting the desk manager was surly. REALLY surly. Several people we were traveling with had large bugs in their rooms as well. At least we did not have that! I am not generally a complainer but to stay in a dump like this in one of the prettiest cities in the world was NOT the way to end a great vacation. Do NOT stay here - ever!

Room Tip: Here's a tip - stay anywhere but here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ewald F, Manager at The New Tulbagh Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Good,

We are currently renovating all our rooms, I will send you updates.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Great friendly staff but the rooms are tired and in need of a makeover. I was in 106 which faces the square and every morning at 5am a shop across the way opens and street vendors load their trolleys with no appreciation for those still sleeping. Breakfast was ok but nothing special. I would rather pay more for another place. It is very convenient to walk to the convention centre.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hi,

Thank you for your stay, just to let you know we are now renovating and you can follow on FB. The street vendors has moved there premised, isn't that great news.

Kind Regards,

Strandfontein, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Good Price but a Little noisy. I usually use this hotel during the year but the last night was not so good and also the internet connection was not so good . I think that in the rooms in the top level (4th) the coverage of the WIFI is not so good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi,

Thank you for comment, meaningful criticism is always well appreciated. Just to inform you that we have the WiFi problem resolved as you notified us. Thank you so much. I am using the same system you used in all mu offices and it works great.

You need to see the new rooms and 32 " TV sets.

Noise is also gone now, come over and test, contact me directly.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

The New Tulbagh is down near the conference centre, but is within a 10 - 15 minute walk of Company Gardens, Waterfront, and Long Street. As the hotel is in the business district the area looks a bit deserted, but perfectly safe, and easy to get to anywhere in Cape Town. The rooms seem a little tired but they have everything you need, but this is made up for by very helpful staff and an excellent breakfast.
So if you need a no frills hotel, in the centre of town, this is a good bet

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi,

All I can say is thank you. We are renovating all rooms and you need to come and see. Please contact me directly.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We spent a week at this hotel for our family Xmas holiday. We booked 3 bedrooms in advance and we requested 2 cots and a supplementary bed for 2 of the bedroom we booked given that we had kids with us. We recived a confirmation email but once we got there we didn't have what we requested. Not a problem because as soon as we asked if we could get the beds the staff was ready to help us. When my sister went to their bedroom they could see their matress wasn't comfortable so we politely asked to change it. They told us that was high season and they were out of matresses. Fine. After 4 days though a spring came out from the matress so we demand a new one because you couldn't really sleep on that... After 5 minutes they had a new one (weren't they out of matresses when we asked for a new one for 4 days?)
That was just the start of a number of problems we had that week.
Room service "forgot" almost every day to give us clean towels even though we put them on the floor to be changed. They just picked them up and never put new ones. In my in-laws' room they actually picked up the dirty towels on the floor and just put them back on the tray! Our shower wasn't good at all as it could take you half an hour to wash your body given the small amount of water coming out.
For 2 days in a row our room key didn't work and we had to go downstairs to ask the staff to let us in and they took their time to do that not realizing that we were outside our bedroom waiting to go in!
The hotel was very noisy and the noise you could hear from our bedroom was annoying. We heard the next bedroom's bathroom everytime they used it and as we were close to the lift you could hear non-stopping noises coming from the elevator's movements.
The worse thing that happened that week was in my sister's bedroom. We all went downstairs for breakfast and when we went back upstairs they found two opened condoms on their floor... Where the kids were playing. We told the manager about that and the best thing they could do was just go to the bedroom and pick them up from the bin. Is it normal that something like that happen in a hotel??
I must say the staff was very very friendly and always available. The continental breakfast was amazing and the hotel was clean. It could have a lot of potential but we couldn't enjoy our stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Hotel new tulbagh cape town

No value for money, very expensive for not have everything and it was too diffucult to found it. The room was spacious but very simple and not very clean, the bathroom was provided without nothing, only 2 product for the shower. This hotel would have been nice for 70 or 90 eur but we spent much more per night and I didn't like anything, including the breakfast.

Stayed January 2014

Been to The New Tulbagh Hotel? Share your experiences!