My wife and I stayed at the Cullinan for four nights as part of a Vantage Travel Group experience. The only reason we cannot rate the hotel as excellent is that it still permits smoking within its four walls -- on the 7th floor. We had to be moved from the 6th floor on the first night because smoke was filtering down through the bathroom vents from above. Furthermore, the outside smoking area is situated by the front entrance, rather than being off to one side. We're told management is working on making the hotel "smoke-free" in the near future. Good for them!
That aspect not withstanding, we found the staff to be extremely cordial, accommodating and helpful in every way. If you need something, talk to Ibraheim (sp?) and Chad at the Concierge desk and they'll manage it for you...or as they say, "done and dusted". Front desk manager Michelle was extremely helpful and professional in assisting us and we greatly appreciated the afternoon beverage and snack found at the table to the left of the front desk. The hotel provides a shuttle to the Waterfront mall that is very convenient. The mall has a number of fine restaurants for lunch and/or dinner.
Since we were there in June (their winter), we did not avail ourselves of the hotel's outside pool, but it looked very inviting. Our room (the second one, that is) was extremely comfortable, up-to-date and met all our needs. The bathroom was very well appointed and the shower quite powerful. We had breakfast daily in the hotel restaurant and were very impressed with the variety and selection. We learned one of the chefs had honed his skills while employed by Royal Caribbean Cruise line for several years (our preferred line). We also had two dinners in the hotel restaurant and, again, were impressed by the quality and presentation of the dinners. Did not use the fitness center, but, again, it appeared to be in good shape (no joke intended). Overall, the hotel is very clean, modern and security is very evident, if you are concerned.
The hotel also is walking distance to Long Street, where you'll find a number of eclectic shops and restaurants, as well as a few beggars (just ignore them, as the street signs recommend). We walked up to Mabu Records, who helped bring the singer Rodriguez from Detroit back into the limelight again. (See "Searching for Sugar Man," the 2013 Academy Awards.)
If weather permits, be sure to take the funicular up to Table Mountain and enjoy the incredible views from the top! Being a coastal town, Cape Town experiences frequent weather changes and quite often Table Mountain is off limits due to the fog and/or cloud cover. We had marble-sized hail one afternoon, the first such occurrence is some 30 years we were told.
About an hour away by car is the Cape of Good Hope, which should not be missed. The coastal drive down is breathtaking and, at times, a bit scary as you skirt the cliffs. I'm sure that the hotel would arrange a driver or recommend an agency to take you there and back. An easy day trip, with time for lunch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only The Cullinan Hotel offers views of all of the Mother City’s main attractions: Table Mountain, the harbour and ocean, the V&A Waterfront and the city skyline. Marble pillars and floors and lush furnishings, transport guests into a world of luxury complete with individualized four-star services. A pool and gym offer the perfect way to relax after a day of business meetings or sightseeing and the choice of bars and restaurants is sure to meet everyone’s tastes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotel.de, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Otel, Odigeo, EasyToBook, Despegar.com, getaroom.com and Agoda so you can book your Southern Sun The Cullinan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Sun The Cullinan Hotel Cape Town Central
- Southern Sun Cullinan
- Cullinan Hotel Cape Town
- Southern Sun The Cullinan Cape Town, South Africa