“Very good breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Sea Point

You added Protea Hotel Sea Point to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Sea Point
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Arthur's Road | Sea Point, Cape Town Central 8005, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Early and Save 20%
Ranked #64 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Very good breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My partner and I and her sister and brother in law visited the Protea Hotel Sea Point for breakfast during our recent trip to South Africa. We opted for the fixed price buffet breakfast which provided an excellent selection of foods. The food was cooked to order and was very tasty and enjoyable. The Staff were friendly and accommodating and made our dining experience very convivial.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This hotel is where more typically South African's would stay when visiting Cape Town rather than the more touristic places around the Victoria and Albert waterfront. The hotel was modern with secure parking and the buffet breakfast, with cook to order eggs, was very good. The room was very well appointed with tea and coffee making facilities and the laundry service offered was very good. The location was perfect with the waterfront being just a two minute walk away and the hop on hop off tourist bus was just minutes away. We found the front desk service very good and helpful with our enquiries. There were several restaurants in walking distance

Room Tip: If possible request 6 floor for a view of the sea and the Lions Head
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Beautifully appointed with modern décor, furnishings, and finishes. Immaculate throughout with a large bathroom. Walk out the door and go left and you’re on the beach with Lion’s Head towering on the horizon; go right and you’re in the middle of downtown with lots of restaurants and shops. I enjoyed the nice view of the ocean from my balcony. The staff was really friendly and helpful with directions to attractions in Cape Town. The breakfast buffet was enormous with lots of choices. I feel comfortable recommending the Protea Sea Point.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here as part of a Cape Town/Safari group tour. We had no choice - and that's OKAY.

Do know: I'm not really a picky traveller. Like many, if the room is clean, the beds are comfy and the service is good, I'm happy.

Amazing:
The breakfast. It was included for the tour - I don't know if it is for everyone or if there is a charge. I'd have paid quite a bit for it, if it wasn't. I can't think of a single thing I'd want for. Fresh fruit like I've never tasted, meats, cheeses, omelette station, cereal...

The service: The front desk coordinated all of the things we didn't do beforehand. They called restaurants to make reservations for us, called a tour company we forgot to contact and called cabs (watch out for "hack cabs" and were, overall, incredibly pleasant.

Not amazing:

The location. Sea Pointe (the area of Cape Town) is not within walking distance of .... well.... anything that we could find except a few restaurants. There is an ajacent restaurant, but I believe it might be a chain and a South African version of something like Applebees. Good for the exhausted traveller, but not my style.
Noise. It may have been a fluke but one night it was VERY VERY loud for quite some time around 2 am. I sleep like a rock, so I can only imagine how other guests reacted. It really didn't seem like an area where there would BE a lot of noise and it may have been from the restaurant next door, so it was surprising.

Overall, though, a very good place to stay.

Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The service was appauling, we had to call the reception 3 times before any of our requests were addressed. Our room was never cleaned for the full weekend.We also did not receive fresh towels or bedding the whole weekend. Worst service I have ever experienced in a hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Katherine_Lewis, General Manager at Protea Hotel Sea Point, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Bajabulile G,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay with the Protea Hotel Sea Point.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us due to the lack of service. Your feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded.

Your interest and concern is much appreciated, and I would like to discuss this matter further with you. Please contact me directly on: katherinel@proteahotels.com.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Reasonable price. Good family hotel. Well placed between city centre, Hout Bay, Camps Bay and the Southern suburbs. Adjacent Spur makes it easy with kids. Will make use of it again.

One way street was a bit of a problem and parking a nightmare

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Dear Hannes W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at Protea Hotel Sea Point.

I am glad to read that you and your family had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed the central location of our Hotel as well as the adjacent Spur.

We hope to welcome you and your family back soon to a sunny Cape Town.

Warm Regards,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Protea Sea Point
We booked a Universal room for an overnight stay, for two adults and one child in a wheelchair. Check-in was quick and we headed to our room. It was after 2pm so we expected the room to be ready but it was not. The cleaning crew were still busy in the bathroom and the room had to be vacuumed. The head lady was very pleasant and apologised for the inconvenience as we waited in the passage. Once they were done we went in. I liked the peep hole in the front door being at wheelchair level, I have never seen that before. The short hallway into the room is wider than normal to accommodate the wheelchair, which is so good, we usually have to try and not knock into walls, furniture etc. The room was very well planned in terms of space and positioning of furniture, place for the wheelchair on either side of the bed, the wheelchair could also be positioned at the desk, within reach of the tv etc. The bathroom was well-equipped with seating in the shower and lots of room to move with ease. The beds were comfortable and pillows alright. Some were too firm and others too floppy. My gripes were the air conditioning units outside our window made so much noise I found it difficult to sleep. The other gripe is the disabled parking bay - it is too narrow. Once you are parked and another car is parked next to you it is difficult to get my daughter out of the car into her chair. The bays need to be wider to accommodate the wheelchair user. Unfortunately this seems to be a South African problem as I find the same problem everywhere we go. A plus for the staff member who was very helpful in getting us a bar fridge in the room and who promised to put my daughter's milk in the fridge and did as she had promised, as well as the staff member who got us extra hand towels. On the whole the stay was pleasant and within easy walking distance to the beach, eating places, shops etc. For a disabled friendly room the hotel was good, parking not so much.

• Stayed September 2014
Dear Razia H,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor following you and your family's recent stay with us.

First of all, I appreciate the extensive feedback you have provided us with as it guides us in the right direction to rectify and change things where necessary. I am glad that the overall standard and layout of the room was comfortable for you and your family.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the fact that your room was not ready on time. This is certainly not the standard that Protea Hotels is usually proud to offer. We have noted your feedback regarding the parking and air conditioning units, and will discuss this in our upcoming Management Meeting.

Thank you for choosing to stay with Protea Hotel Sea Point, and we hope to welcome you and your family back in the near future.

Yours truly,

Katherine Lewis

Been to Protea Hotel Sea Point? Share your experiences!