“Ritz - takes the biscuit!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Town Ritz Hotel

You added Cape Town Ritz Hotel to your Saves list
Cape Town Ritz Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Main & Camberwell Roads | Sea Point, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Ranked #91 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This hotel is well located at Sea Point area, with a great sea, Signal Hill and Cape Town Stadium, which is the only positive thing about it. Don't trust about the images that the hotel provides on their website, they are not how real rooms look like. Rooms are very old style,very bad smells comes from the bathroom plumbing. At first night we had to ask to change room because another guests were drinking (yes! we could smell alcohol while sharing the elevator with them), talking and laughing out loud. They change us, to another very old room, with very old furniture and stained carpet. And again, at the second night, we could hear a very loud music coming somewhere we could not identify. Bathroom was disgusting, the flush doesn't work very well. To shower we had to jump in to a high bathtub, with also disgusting shower curtains. Breakfast was ok, nothing exceptional. And at the end, surprise, they charge me for parking, which was not informed previously. They lost a client. I would never come back or indicate it to a friend.

Room Tip: Great Location, nothing else.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
cape town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is centrally located in Cape Town and is within walking distance the the Sea Point Promenade, which is a bonus. The staff were friendly and helpful, but it is not enough to say it was a great hotel, the hotel is in desperate need of a makeover, the lifts, carpets, curtains , bathrooms and windows all need to be updated. The parking surcharge that I had to pay was ridiculous and should have been free, as my hotel stay was a bit more expensive than it should have been. But the hotel was clean, the pool looked lovely and the breakfast was good, so if you are in Cape Town for just one night it is not a bad place to rest your head.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor so you can't hear traffic outside, but be warned you might have to wait fo...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have to agree that it's kind of tired and run down, but please don't let that fool you. I stayed in the hotel for the first two days of my holiday. The bed was comfy, the staff friendly and the public areas of the hotel are pretty new and clean looking. I didn't eat there, so I can't comment on the food. The room itself was a lower floor room and they could really do with refurbishment. but if all you want is a place to lay your head, then it's as good a place as any. We did chose to return for our last night & this time we got a room on the 20th floor. It was newer looking, but we had a stormy night & the windows kept us awake rattling for a long time. Would I stay there again? If I couldn't find a better hotel at their price point then yes. Was it luxury? Far from it. Would I spend a whole holiday there? No. Is it okay for a couple of days? yep.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2015

Firstly, please dont go on the name of the hotel. This is definitely no where related to the better known Ritz Carlton. The hotel has been the worst i have seen in my many years of traveling. Worst then few in Bangkok. Our ordeal started with the hotel address being difficult to find. The locals as well as taxi services have never heard about the same. However after 01 hr of driving within the city we reach the hotel tucked away inside a street. The lobby seemed okay. The bell services were pleasant in welcoming us. The room type booked by us was given away and not available. They offered us a room which had an old AC unit hanging above the head. No safety by any mean. The room had only one ceiling light and it was dark and dingy. At 10 PM i was made to fight for a room change where we ended up with a twin bed room. As a couple traveling together we got through this too. The hotel was quick to charge all nights onto my card as I am sure they were experienced of guests walking out. The rooms were stinky. Bathrooms had no amentities. Not even a soap to wash hands. No bottled water available. The reception desk refused to organize water in the night since the room service was shut. We had many other issues with condition of the corridors, stench etc and overall would never recommend this hotel to any traveler. Infact Hotels.com where we booked this hotel from should blacklist the hotel. The irony is the hotel lists themselves as a five star

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2015

Great location and great price, (not necessarily value though!), and that pretty much sums up the positives, whereas negatives are a few more to mention; general old/tired feeling to all hotel areas, lifts, rooms, bathrooms etc with a weird odour permeating all, (resembling urine?!). Breakfast also not great, and if not included as per my case and great price I paid re booking, then outrageously expensive at R 135, yet plenty options nearby thus no major headache/loss. Other gripe is poor WiFi signal/access in room, and also no free access bedsides 30 min per day, thus another needless and expensive charge, and yet again plenty other cafes and coffee shops nearby offering free access! Thus would've been a poor rating, yet price paid and location earned it the average status. With a bit of investment, and work done could be a great hotel, albeit they'd probably then charge 3 x the price?!

Room Tip: Corner rooms offer great views, and the higher the better....
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2015

I stayed here for 11 days in February-March 2015. It was a working trip, with a few days available for sightseeing.

Positive:

1) Very friendly staff. From the second I arrived, I was greeted by friendly staff in the lobby and reception. They were very helpful with everything from repairing clothes, booking cabs, arranging trips, storing luggage, describing the local area. Cleaning and room service were effective, punctual and helpful.

2) The restaurant on the top floor has excellent food, good service, and offers perfect sights of the city. Remember to book.

3) The views and location are superb, make sure to get a room on one of the high floors. I stayed on the 7th floor, which did have a good overview but would have loved a higher floor.

Negative:

As this was a working trip I used the internet quite a lot. The hotel does not have free WIFI in the hotel rooms. I had to buy internet vouchers, which costs ran up considerably compared to the room cost at the end of my stay. The speed was good though. But, I would be willing to rank the hotel as a four star hotel if it sorts out this issue.

Cape Town might have terrible internet access offers, I don´t know, but it made the overall stay less enjoyable, unfortunately.

2) The room service menu is OK, but personally, as I used room service every single day, I would prefer less deep-fried food, and more healthy options. The burgers are excellent though, and the service is superb.

Would I stay here again/recommend it? Yes.

Room Tip: 7th floor or above.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Been to Cape Town Ritz Hotel? Share your experiences!