“Well Beyond Expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Cape Town

You added The Westin Cape Town to your Saves list
The Westin Cape Town
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lower Long Street | Convention Square, Cape Town Central 8000, South Africa (Formerly Arabella Sheraton Grand Hotel)   |
Special Offer
Enjoy breakfast & more
Ranked #29 of 104 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Well Beyond Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

There are sincerely friendly greetings from the moment you arrive. Check-In was smooth, quick, professional and genuinely helpful. The rooms are not very large, but they are modern, efficient, well conceived and comfortable. The view from the room is memorable. There's an extra level of security between the elevators and the rooms, which is comforting without being intrusive.
The executive floors offer free internet, free access to a well equipped, modern gym, which also has wonderful views of the waterfront.
The shuttle service to the V&A is quick, clean, efficient, and convenient. Give consideration to the hotel transport service for other destinations. It is not very expense, the cars are new, the drivers helpful and the enhance the experience of visiting Cape Town, particularly if you have appointments and want to be sure to arrive on time.
The air conditioning works well, even in a West facing room and it is not noisy. The mini bar fridge rattled during the night, but given the rest of the experience it's a small inconvenience.
The executive lounge provides a great breakfast offering that should appeal to most cultures. The buffet is well presented, provides excellent variety and everything is fresh and tasty. The staff is cheerful, the service is good, the coffee is hot and the views of Table Mountain and the waterfront are once again, spectacular.
Service throughout the hotel is excellent.
The internet service is the best I have used in South Africa.
Stay here. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The west side of the hotel might be a bit warm with the windows open n the summer.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Dear LeeTSMI

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your stay at The Westin Cape Town. It is always a special and inspired moment to learn that our guests enjoyed our facilities. Providing our guests with excellent service and creating a positive experience that won’t be forgotten is what we constantly strive towards.

Your positive comments inspire us to create an even better experience for our guests, as each of our signature offerings has been designed with a better you in mind. We hope to welcome you back to our wonderful city soon!

Rob Kucera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

This is a Westin that delivers the usual 5 star standard.
Our room was harbour and Table Mountain facing and it was really great view. We stayed at the Executive Club and the breakfast consists of many exotic concoction of dried and fresh fruits, cheese and ham. Service was prompt and impeccable.
The only little thing I wish they could give more is the Mineral water bottle... wish that it can be a bigger bottle as the kettle was very rusty and I dare not use it to boil tap water for drinking. Had to always think of buying water.

We used the shuttle bus to A& V Waterfront everyday many times. It operates at 15 min interval and was very convenient for us. The distance to airport was near too. Less than 30 mins in non-peak time.

I would recommend this hotel for business and conference traveller (just next to the Cape Town Convention Centre) as well as people who like convenience and the perks & standard of a Westin hotel.

Room Tip: You can choose the sea or mountain /city view
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear sgse

We appreciate your comments regarding mineral water. Please accept our sincere apologies if it didn't live up to your expectations. Feedback from our guests allow us to continually improve services offered and is noted. We hope that you will return soon to let us showcase our high standards of service once again!

Mbabane, Swaziland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Having spent most of my time there attending a workshop at the convention centre across from the Grant I didn’t expect to have the level of service and care provided to me. It was exceptional!! By day 2 the waiters knew my name, coffee preference and meal requirements! It was so refreshing and I was genuinely touched by their efforts and care! It is the staff that made the difference to my experience. The Westin Grand not only provide the excellence facilities but the people they have are exceptional. Thank you!

Ps Floor 19 and your sundowners are such a treat!

Room Tip: Floors 17 and above have the best views!! Loved mine as I faced lions head and V&A water front!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear 641LT_2014

Thank you for the amazing review of The Westin Cape Town. Our innovative programmes and instinctive service transform every aspect of your stay into a revitalizing experience and we are dedicated to provide an experience that leaves you feeling better than when you arrived.

Colombo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in Westin to attend a conference . From the time of airport pick up ,to checkin to departure was fabulous . It's centrally located next to the convention center and it's central location was so convenient . The shuttle service to the water front area was soo convenient . The staff were very friendly and service was excellent . The concierge and travel desk went out of the way to assist us in booking sight seeing and guiding us on rates ,providing previous feedback on tours etc. we were trying squeeze in sightseeing soon After the conference ,and the staff feed back assistance went a long way in deciding where to go. The cigar bar wAs my favorite haunt with fantastic atmosphere with flexible service and excellent variety of cigars and beverages. The executive floor happy hour from 5 to 7 wAs a bonus and hospitality and attention to detail was just perfect .i could not use the spa and pool ,but the view from the pool area was breath taking .

The only down I can think of wAs the exchange rate for currency exchange but in fairness the staff at the reception were candid to suggest I try the water front for any currency exchange .
Only down side I can think of is the fares negotiated for the taxis at the entrance by the concierge staff was way too expensive but after couple rides you figure it out.

Overall a very pleasant and happy stay with breath taking views from the hotel .

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Channa M

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I enjoyed 3 stays at the Westin over the last few months. It's a very comfortable hotel, offering great facilities, very well located in center town, with underground parking if you have a car and a free shuttle bus to the Water Front.
The rooms have everything you need, luxurious bathroom (bath and shower), a good size desk which is always useful if you are on business trip, big wardrobe and the usual very comforatable Westin beds.
Àt the top floor of the hotel, the gym and pool are very pleasant, and the restaurant (accessible if you are staying in executive /preferred guest floors) offers great breakfast and meals during the day. The view is amazing.
Staff is very helpful and friendly.
A couple of negative points:
I wish the hotel had an outdoor terrass on the top floor to relax and enjoy the view at the same time. Also, last time I stayed at the Westin, a note in my room indicated the mini-bar/fridge wasn't working, so if I wanted a cold drink, I had to ring room service. Also, I found the room service menu a bit restricted.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear charlotteaufraises

We appreciate your comments regarding minibar. It’s great to know that you enjoyed it/Please accept our sincere apologies if it didn’t live up to your expectations. Feedback from our guests allow us to continually improve services offered and is noted. We hope that you will return soon to let us showcase our high standards of service once again!

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I always enjoy the Westin and it will continue to be my hotel of choice in Cape Town. I usually get a higher room with a better view so missed that this time but still a great stay.

I also missed my executive upgrade this time around but will definitely push for that at my next visit.

The fitness Centre is decent but it would be nice if it didn't just have machines. The weights area is a little limiting and whilst it probably suffices for most, there are no long bars or lower back exercise options which grant a broader exercise program.

As always the service was excellent and efficient. I found the parking a little pricey considering I always hire a car and I am there for business I would expect the corporate rate to include parking.

Breakfast is included and service and quality is always exceptional. If I had 1 complaint at breakfast the filter coffee is of poor quality so order the cappuccino rather.

Room Tip: Get a high room with a great view over the Waterfront and if you can pay the extra for the Executive...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Stealth_SA

We appreciate your comments regarding parking and complimentary upgrade. Please accept our sincere apologies if it didn’t live up to your expectations. Feedback from our guests allow us to continually improve services offered and is noted. We hope that you will return soon to let us showcase our high standards of service once again!

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I wanted to treat my husband so I decided to book us for an overnight stay. We love travelling but didn't really have much time so we opted to stay local. Because I still wanted it to be special I considered some of the nicer hotels in Cape Town and found that the Westin had the best rates. Absolute affordable luxury. We were able to check in early and check out late which was awesome. Our room was on the 14th floor so we still had a good view of the city. The room was spacious and everything was neat and very modern. I fell in love with the very spacious shower but was a bit disappointed that the toilet did not have a bidet sprayer at least. The partnership with New Balance is another awesome feature. Being able to hire gym shoes and/or clothes means you don't have to pack a huge bag, especially if you're there on a short stay. The pool area does not cater for kids under 12 so that may be a bummer for families with young children. The clothes were practically and we loved the fact that the clothes and shoes were colour matched. Although we enjoyed the breakfast buffet I would have liked more Halaal friendly options. There were a number of Muslim guests and I could see that not all of them were comfortable with the selection of hot foods on offer. There was a large Asian tour group and we noticed that some of the food was tailored to the Asian palette which I thought was excellent and if I was Asian I would feel super special. The staff was awesome throughout our stay. When visiting or staying at a local establishment, I enjoy and appreciate it when I'm treated with the same warm and inviting hospitality shown to tourist. I can honestly say that my husband and I felt that from the time we checked in to our 16h00 check-out. The hotel may market itself to the business traveler but think it would do well if it catered a bit more for kids by means of amenities. Next time we'll bring our son along and see what he thinks. I do know that he won't be happy to know that he's not allowed in the pool.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kouthar W

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin Cape Town.

We are delighted to advise you that we are in the process of building an outside pool and this will be completed end of September 2014. We hope to see you and your whole family again very soon.

Rob Kucera

Been to The Westin Cape Town? Share your experiences!