I recently spent 5 nights here during my trip to Africa. I thought it was a really great hostel. The staff was very helpful, the beds were clean and comfortable, the rooms were big and they had lockers for each individual bed in the dorms.
The staff, like I said, was really helpful. They helped us rent a car, and they could set up all kinds of excursions for you if you wanted. It was the best "concierge" type service I have ever experienced in a hostel.
It also had a nice bar. I never ate there but it was a nice place (with fire place) to grab a coffee or beer after a long day exploring.
The location was also great. It is just up the mountain from long st (the main drag). It was close enough to Long St. to go to the bars and shops, but far enough away for it to be relatively quiet around the hostel. I am a walker, and I walked to the waterfront and back several times (30 min each way).
All and all it was a great place to stay, and I will stay there again when I go back to cape town. My one little little gripe is that it was like 18 use for an 8 bed dorm, and in Africa that is a bit. It was 18 dollars well spent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Selected as best value stay in the world 2014 by Lonely Planet and Best Hostel in Africa 2014 by Hostelworld customers. Making a difference is more than just an initiative of The Backpack, it is the way we are, the way we work and the way we live. South Africa's original award-winning backpacker hostel and travel agency is simply the best place to make your travel arrangements, with all the facilities you can expect from a great hotel, such as stylishly decorated Afro-chic rooms offering superior comfort and quality, with shared or en-suite bathrooms, private electronic safes and in-house ATM. Stay in touch in our internet cafe or use WiFi throughout the hostel; swim in the pool with a stunning view of Table Mountain, or meet like-minded international travellers in our buzzing Cafe or Bar. We offer a variety of rooms, ranging from 8- and 4-bed dorms, to singles, twins, doubles and family rooms. We have recently built a loft apartment with amazing views of Table Mountain featuring its own kitchen. The hostel has communal kitchen and dining facilities; lots of sociable and chill-out spots to relax in. A night on the town in Long Street, gorgeous Clifton and Camps Bay beaches, Table Mountain, V&A Waterfront and the city centre is just a stone's throw away. Awards: Awarded Best Hostel in South Africa 2014, 2013, 2010, 2009 & 2008, Awarded Best Hostel in Africa 2014, Lonely Planet Top 10 Best Value Stays 2014. Independent winner for Best Practice Economic Impact - Imvelo Awards 2011, Independent winner for Best Single Resource Management Program in Waste Management - Imvelo Awards 2011, "One of the world's 10 coolest hostels" Guardian UK - 2010, Winner of 2011 AA Quality Assured Accommodation ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Priceline, HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your The Backpack reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Backpack Hotel Cape Town Central
- The Backpack Cape Town, South Africa