“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Parker Cottage

You added Parker Cottage to your Saves list
Parker Cottage
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   3 Carstens Street, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Special Offer
Book direct and save 5%!
Sydney
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We had a fantastic stay a Parker cottage. We were recommended this place by friends and were greatful for the recommendation. The place is very homely, big rooms, lots of space to chill out and relax through the house. Breakfast was amazing! We stayed there for Christmas and was made to fell like it was home away from home, which was exactly why we wanted to book a Bed and Breakfast. Staff are very friendly and helpful. For early morning site seeing or departures they will even pack you a breaks to take with you, although no where near as good as the sit down breaks with four courses :)
We hired a care while we there which we felt was necessary to get around cape town and back to the hotel with out fuzz.
Overall great place to stay would highly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We trully enjoyed our stay in Parker Cottage and though when we travelled further through Garden Route later and it's very beautiful route, I personally missed Cape a lot, mostly due to Parker Cottage "home" atmosphere... we also had a chance to stay in 5star Westin Hotel in the citi center, but it didn't feel so special there. In Parker Cottage you actually feel the real spirit of the city and its people.

what we really appreciated were good breakfast, constant willingness of hosts to help us with advise /booking and the wine evening with the other guests.

Good choice for couples and relaxed vacation.

Room Tip: we had room #9, very nice and rather big. but if you want to save some money for the trip you can ta...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ParkerCottage, Owner at Parker Cottage, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Wow, Leysen! That's quite a compliment to be told that you enjoyed the stay at Parker Cottage more than at the Westin! We do try to make the experience of staying with us as far away as we can from the usual hotel or B&B feel. We don't have piped music, reception desks, curfews, or mini bars and trouser presses and every room in the house is individually styled, just like in a real house. We also don't live on site so when we leave for the day, the house belongs to our guests to do with as they please! So pleased you enjoyed the stay, particularly as it was your honeymoon.
SF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Our stay at Parker Cottage was excellent. Wonderful hosts and excellent staff; we felt like we were at home. The personal touches set this establishment above other places that we stayed at throughout South Africa and Botswana. It also has a great location with and easy walking to all parts of downtown Cape Town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Parker's Cottage was great. It is located in a convenient and safe area of Cape Town, just a ten minute walk or so away from the nearest restaurants, a small supermarket, and even a pharmacy. This made getting anything that we needed whilst on holiday incredibly easy.

Phil, one of the owners, was very thoughtful and worked very hard to make our stay as a family of five a pleasant and easy one, arranging everything from bus tickets for tours around Cape Town to whipping up absolutely exquisite breakfasts every morning. The rest of the staff were just as helpful, and the hospitality at Parker Cottage is what makes it such a wonderful experience. We would love to use the cottage again on our next visit!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We could not have enjoyed Parker Cottage more. The location is excellent, the breakfasts are very filling (we went without lunch a few days), and they are very helpful in arranging car rentals, dinner reservation, etc. The weekly wine evening is not to be missed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ParkerCottage, Owner at Parker Cottage, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thanks Bharat! So pleased you enjoyed the wine evening: last night we had quite a turn out of new wines, which is always fun.
Antananarivo, Madagascar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Parker Cottage is a great place to stay. Not only is it conveniently located in a quiet and nice neighbourhood close to Kloof and Long street, is a lovely guesthouse and the breakfast is delicious, but the real added value is that the staff are the nicest and most helpful people ever. They will advise you on excursions, restaurants, bars, concerts and pretty much everything else you might need. The personalised service and the attitude of the staff is what makes Parker Cottage a very special place to stay. Recommended to any category of traveller, from the young independent traveller to couples and families.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I do not know were to begin on my review of Parker Cottage. I was lucky enough to have two stays in my two week trip to Cape Town, one short stay in the first week, and a whole six days at this same divine place the next week.
Before staying here I often checked Trip Advisor for new reviews of Parker because they just seemed to get better and better each time a new one was added. It made me begin to wonder if the place was real, it just seemed too good to be true....however, sure enough I arrived at Parker Cottage and was welcomed and given all the information I could ever need. It WAS real!!! Having lived in Cape Town four years ago I didn't think there was anymore I needed to know but sure enough, there was plenty!
The cottage itself is absolutely beautiful, with stunning architecture but a timeless interior that I know Donny and co have worked extremely hard on with keeping everything together.
On both of my stays I stayed in a "cosy" class room which was absolutely fantastic, tonnes of space, endless amounts of storage for my ridiculous amount of clothes and simply the best bathrooms you could ask for.
Each room has its own identity and this makes Parker so unique, it's not a routine b+b where everything has to match. Loads of character in the rooms I stayed in.
The staff are all amazing, Babs does an absolutely incredible job of cleaning the rooms every day, making our beds, which is so great to come home to after a long tough day at the beach ;). The bathroom was always immaculate and if you wanted new towels PC has a great system of allowing you to do so.
Chris and Sean, the drivers are delightful and will chat to you on your journey and seem to know everything there is to know!
The breakfasts....where to start. The choice is endless, it's almost as if the world is on offer to you on a plate, at Parker Cottage, they make you feel as though absolutely nothing is a problem to them. The fresh fruit is divine, served differently everyday, the freshly squeezed orange juice is just heaven in a glass, and the hot chocolate, well, I have definitely had my fair share of hot chocolates in the past (being the chocoholic that I am) and I can safely say that Parker Cottage does the best hot chocolate I have ever had in my life. The full English breakfast is incredible and you can choose whatever you want/don't want to be included (I was fussy!). The specials are also amazing, and so much variety! I send my own personal thanks, again, to the ladies that make the breakfast, the service is 5 star and served in perfect time. In fact, the breakfasts are so good that I think I only had space for lunch on two of my days whilst at PC! Breakfast can be 5 courses if you want it to be!
Phil and Liz: What can I say, they are the most amazing hosts in the world. They make you feel as though you have known them for all your life, it's like they are family friends that you are staying with! They go out of their way to help and organise anything you need, from taxis to restaraunts and are so willing to help you out if you're stuck or don't understand something. They go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome and really are the nicest people! Phil will also make you laugh, a lot.
When we arrived, Lexi had recently been appointed (I think?). Lexi is such a delight to be around, she is unbelievably helpful, knowledgeable and will also go that extra mile for all guests if something needs to be done. She's wonderful and will make you feel welcome right away. It's as if nothing is ever an issue at Parker Cottage so this B+B (which is soooooo much more than just a b+b) deserves all the incredible reviews from past guests, that it has!
A MASSIVE THANK YOU TO PARKER COTTAGE!!!
Oh and I must also thank Diana who was there in the first week I was there whilst Phil and Liz travelled up to the Eastern Cape. She was a star and so much fun! Great to chat to and very amusing. It was sad to say goodbye to her after my first week. You can imagine how I felt after a whole six nights at the best bed and breakfast in Cape Town, probably the world! I will make sure that I come back!
A H U G E T H A N K Y O U P A R K E R C O T T A G E T E A M ! ! ! ! !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ParkerCottage, Owner at Parker Cottage, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Hannah, thanks so much for taking the time to write this veritable tome of a review! We really try to offer something a little unconventional here, particularly in the aspect of advising and planning activities for our guests. Every one who stays here gets welcomed with a glass of something nice and then we start trying to match their available time and budget into what they would like to do in Cape Town. Sometimes these conversations take place over the whole stay and as you say, we administrate every single aspect of your stay in Cape Town, from tickets to shows, transport, restaurant bookings and all.

And thanks so much for going to the trouble of remembering everyone's names and their particular contribution to the show here. Makes their, and our, day.

Been to Parker Cottage? Share your experiences!