“Lovely week at the Portswood” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The PortsWood

Save Saved
You added The PortsWood to your Saves list
The PortsWood
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PortsWood Road, PortsWood Square | V&A Waterfront, Cape Town Central 8002, South Africa   |
Ranked #59 of 101 hotels in Cape Town Central
Melbourne
“Lovely week at the Portswood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We enjoyed our stay from the moment of arrival. We were greeted by at the door by the lovely Joseph saying 'Welcome home'.
The hotel is beautifully positioned at the Waterfront with easy access and parking for a car. Meals were all excellent with breakfast an outstanding feature. Staff were friendly, informative and made us feel very welcome. Our room was spacious, spotlessly clean and well equipped. Free wi-fi. was another welcome feature. I look forward to staying at the Portswood again and would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Guest

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us at the PortsWood Hotel at the V&A Waterfront, Cape Town.

Joseph is indeed a gem and like all members of our dedicated team, there to make a difference. I will make sure he is personally thanked, along with the rest of my Team.

We wish you a safe and pleasant journey back home and look forward to hosing you again with your next visit to Cape Town.

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have spent 4 days in this hotel and it was great. It has a great location very close to the V&A waterfront. I had a nice size room with free wifi which was good as most hotels still charge you for that.
The breakfast in the morning was varied and you could have all kinds of things from hot to cold breakfast, different kind of fruits , ....
Joseph who is at the door has always a smile and hello when you enter the hotel and is a joy to see.
The only negative point was: I had booked a trip to Robben island and didn't know where it was the departure point and I asked reception who didn't know this either. This is something they should know and able to help the clients with.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your commenting on your positive experience during your most recent stay at the PortsWood Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town. It is always constructive - and appreciated - to learn what guests enjoy and in some instances dislike, about our Hotel.

Please accept our apologies for the negative point you mentioned about the Robben Island enquiry. I will personally make sure all staff at the desk are 100% sure of the information. As you said, it is very important for everyone to know about this seeing it is one of our City's biggest attractions that we are proud!

We hope to welcome you back in the not distant future.

Yours Sincerely,

Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Located in the perfect spot to stroll the Victoria and Albert waterfront for shopping and dinner, and as a home base for exploring Cape Town. The complimentary breakfasts were plentiful and tasty, and the rooms were spacious and clean. Big plus for us was outlets that could take multiple plug types, as we had US and European adapters, but our "universal" kits didn't accommodate South African outlets.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your holiday at our Hotel and also our beautiful City.

Please come and visit again in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

First the plus: free WiFi! Yeah, you'd think that should be standard nowadays. I mean, hotels don't charge you for using the shower, right?

But then a BiG lowlight: in room "service" - rather, non-service. Firstly, there is no beverages listed on the in-room menue. I mean, this is 2012. Single women do travel, may want to enjoy a drink, but don't want to hang around at a hotel bar to do so! Give me a break. I call. After much persuasion, I get the guy to rattle off all available beers and wines to me, with their prices. I order a glass of Chardonnay. 25 minutes later, I am ready to go to sleep, still no sign of the wine, and now I can't shower, right, as I am sure the waiter will knock as soon as I step into the shower. I call again. The same guy gives me a lame excuse. I can hear he's totally forgotten about me.

Clearly, the food and bar service is an afterthought here. Replace the manager with some who cares. Then staff will follow his or her example. And fix the menue.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay at the PortsWood Hotel in the V&A Waterfront, Cape Town. We regret what you have experienced at our Hotel as the service we provide is what we are so proud of.

I would like to assure you that the Food and Beverage service we provide is in par with a luxury four star Hotel and what you regrettably experienced is not something that happens here. We have identified what had gone wrong and the problem has been addressed to avoid a similar re-occurrence.

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and would appreciate it if you could contact me if there is anything more we can do that will ensure that we will see you again in the future.

Lymm, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I spent 9 nights on a business trip at The Portswood, what a fantastic place to stay. Very comfortable room, everything worked. The staff were more than helpful at all times, take 5 minutes out of your day to talk to them and they are great sources of information on where to go and what to see, but remember to tip, not that they treat you any different if you dont. Minutes walk from the waterfront area, where all the shops, bars and restaurants are. Easy to get to the main road network in and out of Cape Town. Although on a business trip I would not hesitate to stay here if on holiday.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for the positive comments on your recent stay at the PortsWood Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. When that well deserved Holiday is near, please let us know how we can help making the most of it for you!

We look forward to wecloming you back.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the PortsWood Hotel for a total of four nights this past August as part of our honeymoon. Overall we were very impressed with the hotel, more specifically its location to the waterfront, which is what you are paying for. The rooms are small but served their purpose, as we did not spend too much time in them. They provide the standard coffee/tea, tv, room safe, etc. The bathroom was quite small, but there was great water pressure. They were cleaned daily and we had no issues with the room.

The staff during our stay was great. They provide a tour guide desk concierge that looked up specific information on museums and shark diving for us. They were very professional and helpful. The front desk staff was also very accommodating, they allowed us to store luggage our last day while we went sightseeing and then waited for our ride to the airport.

Overall my wife and I would recommend the PortsWood Hotel for travelers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay at the PortsWood Hotel in the V&A Waterfront, Cape Town. The level of service you kindly pointed out in your response is what we pride ourselves in. Thank you.

There are so many exciting things to do in Cape Town but the shark diving is most certainly one the best choices! I hope you enjoyed every minute.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best,

Bath, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Spent four nights here after a week up country. The hotel is perfectly situated for the Waterfront only e couple of minutes away. The breakfasts were excellent and for a change you didn't even have to do self service. A big plus was the free internet and wi-fi - a rare occurance these days. The staff were so friendly and helpfull that it felt that we'd been here before. I'd certainly recomend the hotel and would certainly return here if we were in Cape Town again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your positive experience at the PortsWood Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town. As a Team we always appreciate such feedback and I will make sure that your klind words are shared with each member.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Deputy General Manager

Been to The PortsWood? Share your experiences!