This hotel was part of an old jail dating back to the 1600. It now forms part of Cape Town university. The rooms have been modernised and the furnishings are new. The bathroom consists of a wet room with a separate toilet.
This hotel is only five minute walk from The Water Front and across the road you will find The Aquarium which is well worth a visit. Also here you will find the start of The City Bus Tour cost 150 Rand. (£10.75) with 18 stops that you can get on and off at. The City Tour will take you along the coast via Camps Bay. Well worth it.
Back to the Hotel, there's are two restaurants here the food is very good. Don't forget to ask for your discount card at reception this will entitle you to a discount on food eaten here. There was two of us and we got 50% off our food bill. So two main courses, followed by two deserts and two Gin and Tonics and two beers came to £15.00.
Breakfast is a fantastic array of fresh fruit, cereals and many cooked items. Muffins and various pastries along side four flavours of yogurt.
The staff are very helpful and provided an umbrella when it rained. Table Mountain can be seen from here although it is closed for maintainence from end of July through to the end of August.
The building features some of the old cell doors and door frames.
This is a great place to stay and being so close to everything I would truly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just a minute away from restaurants, theatres and shops, the Breakwater Lodge, one of the finest hotels operated by Protea Hotels, is perfectly positioned in the heart of the famous V&A Waterfront. Neighbouring the city, this hotel lies within easy reach of the best beaches, tourist hotspots and Cape Town International Airport. Once a 19th-century prison, the hotel today provides comfortable and affordable accommodation in Cape Town, a spectacular setting that looks out over the harbour and Table Mountain. Considered to be one of the premier Cape Town hotels, Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge boasts bedrooms ranging from business to family suites. Each is equipped with a 22 inch LCD TV with satellite channels/radio and direct dial telephone and supplied with a welcome refreshment tray. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Despegar.com, Agoda, Marriott, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Booking.com so you can book your Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Breakwater Cape Town Central
- Breakwater Hotel Cape Town
- The Breakwater Hotel
- Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge Cape Town, South Africa