Table Bay was the ninth and final hotel of our South African tour. It is BIG and my wife took an instant dislike to it. The large foyer seemed to be filled with Security, flunkeys and management clones instructing everybody to "have a good day". During the usual 'welcome drinks' the tour group was addressed by one of the hotel managers. He gave us an outline of the geography of the hotel and placed emphasis on where we could find the Famous Breakfast Room. Next morning we, and others, came down in the lift and made to go towards that breakfast room. Instead, we were intercepted by junior management and, under protest, were marched in the opposite direction into a banqueting suite. We were told that the Breakfast Room was full; (a statement contradicted later by friends). This dimly-lit suite was furnished with eight large round tables seating eight to ten guests on bucket chairs and was somewhat remote from the kitchen. The large buffet was spread in an ante-room with hot food in open lidded tureens. This room was ventilated by an open door that drew a chill draught and allowed flies to come in. The polyglot assembly of guests had to wander backwards and forwards to the buffet and the seating arrangements proved. totally inappropriate. The domestic staff seemed to have been short-term agency recruits and soon used crockery piled up on the tables. Supplies of food on the buffet dwindled, as did items such as butter and conserves on the tables. Guests went on treasure hunts. The coffee well dried up too.
Why all this happened we don't know. Perhaps it was a Management initiation on how to deal with disgruntled guests. The lady in charge was left to defend the indefensible. We should have walked out but we had a tight time schedule.
The next two mornings we were in the proper room and senior management were working the tables trying to right a wrong. Too late.
- Also Known As:
- Table Bay Cape Town
- Table Bay Hotel
- Table Bay Hotel Cape Town
- Hotel Table Bay
- The Table Bay Hotel Cape Town, South Africa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Between Robben Island and Table Mountain, you’ll discover the famed Table Bay Hotel. Cosmopolitan, gracious and relaxed, The Table Bay is the sum of all that is good about Cape Town. The rooms are inviting and represent the epitome of luxury and comfort. Exceed expectations at this 5-star hotel in South Africa - from the stylish writing desks, to the expansive windows, take in a scene of the harbour or the Atlantic Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda, LHW, Travelocity, Otel and Priceline so you can book your The Table Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.