“Honest experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Table Bay Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Table Bay Hotel to your Saves list
The Table Bay Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Table Bay Hotel | Table Bay Breakwater Blvd Quay 6, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Ranked #22 of 102 hotels in Cape Town Central
“Honest experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We had a very pleasant stay. Friendly staff good location on the waterfront and connected to a mall. We forgot our wallet in the safe, with cash , credit cards and identity documentation. We realised it after reaching Kruger, when we called the hotel we were promptly transferred to security which confirmed that they had the wallet and it was courired to us the next day with everything intact. We appreciate the honesty of the staff and the hotel management.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
TableBayHotel, General Manager at The Table Bay Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Mac C,

Thank you for your posting regarding your stay at The Table Bay. We are thrilled you had a pleasant experience and appreciate your feedback regarding our staff.

Your comments have been shared with the entire staff. It is through feedback such as yours that we continue to strive for excellence.

Sherwin Banda

671 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our family stayed at The Table Bay Hotel for 8 days recently. We were hoping to be spoilt with some 5 star luxury in the great V&A Waterfront location. Alas, the list of disappointments far outweighed the positives, and I doubt whether we will return again.
Positives: Excellent location and superb views towards Robben Island, waterfront and Table Mountain; great breakfast food selection and variety; valet parking.
Negatives: We felt misled by two specific matters: Before making the reservation, we read on the hotel's website about its heated indoor pool. We were looking forward to using it during the cold winter days, however on arrival we were casually informed that the pool was in fact NOT heated. The next surprise was when we experienced rather intrusive and noisy maintenance crews on most of the days, directly outside our windows/views - this maintenance work was not mentioned on the site or during the reservation process. Throughout our stay the service staff was very slow to clean our rooms: despite us leaving a service notice on the door at around 09h00 each day, the rooms were only serviced around 14h00-15h00 on most days. We requested the concierge to have newspapers delivered to our room each morning, however on two occasions we had to phone down again to remind them since the newspapers were not delivered. We arranged for family from outside the hotel to join us for breakfast one day and that the additional cost be charged to our room - the process was extremely frustrating: first the table that I requested and confirmed, was taken away and given to someone else "on instruction from the very top" per a breakfast staff member, then the bill was taken to my guest for payment after the breakfast despite my previous arrangement. There were numerous other minor niggles as well, such as the room toilet light that was out of order for three straight days, the fact that it appeared to be too much trouble to put two 4-seater breakfast tables together for our family of 5, and we were on a few occasions split up to two adjacent tables, etc.
Overall I definitely do not think that we received good value for our money...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We visited this hotel for sons birthday on 1 June 2013. What a pleasure. The reception was fantastic, the people working there were very friendly and welcoming. The view from our room was spectacular. The food served for dinner was of high quality and they had various choices. What really humbled me was when the supervisor overhead that it was my son's birthday whilst we were having breakfast, they made a beautiful presentation of a delicious vanilla and chocolate cake and wished my son well for his birthday. That was magical as we were far from home and received such a wonderful reception and first class treatment that we received, I must highlight that the service was excellent. I have been to Cape Town many times but the service never cease to amaze me. My son is 9 years old the hotel is children friendly we all enjoyed our stay tremendously. As for the view wow it was like I am waking up in one of this exotic islands. I am South African it really fills my heart with joy to see that our hotels compete easily with world class hotels all over the world. Keep up the good work to the staff and management of The Table Bay at Cape Town Waterfront.

• Stayed June 2013
TableBayHotel, General Manager at The Table Bay Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and delighted to hear your son had an enjoyable birthday.

Look out for our Oscars Kids Club activities for in-house guests in December.

Sherwin Banda
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel is extremely well located in the harbour. One side you have sea view, in the other the harbour. The rooms are very nice, huge buffet breakfast, and the staff very kind. It's attached to the Victoria's Wharf mall, has a very nice pool, spa and small gym. The lobby is beautiful with the Table Mountain view! Amazing High Tea in the afternoon in the lobby. The rooms are big, the beds and pillows very good too! Everytime I go to Cape Town I stay there and will stay in the future for sure.

• Stayed June 2013
TableBayHotel, General Manager at The Table Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

A trip to South Africa would not be complete without Cape Town. This happy city on the southern most tip of Africa is home to many sights [Winery visits, museums and the Cape of Good Hope, Military museum, Penguin colony] and adventures [Dune surfing, shark cage diving]. While here, we made the Table Bay Hotel our home for 4 nights.

Our very first impression of the hotel was that it felt like a Disneyland hotel. The bell hops are efficient in taking care of your luggage. After walking through a glass house tunnel [that shields you from the cold wind coming in from the sea], we entered the grand lobby. Check in was efficient and once formalities were completed, we were shown to our room.

The hotel has WiFi in the lobby and individual WiFi access for each room. I thought this was pretty nifty. Our room was on the second floor, right next to the lifts. The lifts are quite quiet and we did not hear anything from its working parts. But as our room was at a cross junction near the lifts, we could hear people talking and walking by, and our first morning, we could hear two male housekeepers talking loudly while folding sheets near our door.

That aside, our room had a King sized bed, with an seating area and TV no.2. The sofa was converted to a pull out bed for my son. Our room had a great view of the sea, and the sunrise. In front of our King bed was TV no.1 with lots of cable channels. A large wardrobe to store your luggage, clothes and shopping, and also includes the in-room safe. The bathroom had separate shower, and toilet, and a bathtub. Around the single sink were the after shower products from Molton Brown; while the shower was also stocked with Molten Brown products.

One of the days at the hotel, I misplaced my wedding ring in the room. However hard I looked, I could not unearth it. In the morning, I mentioned it to the Front Desk to inform Housekeeping to keep an eye out for it. After breakfast, I was approached by the Duty Manager, Jason, and he assured me that his team and security would look for it. By the end of the day, I saw my ring on the study table. I was extremely thankful for their sincerity in looking for my ring and finding it!

Breakfast was at the Atlantic restaurant where the buffet spread was just huge! The staff recognised us by our second day and service was very good. It's interesting to see hotel guests from all over the world staying here - USA, China, Hong Kong, India, to name a few.

Security is not an issue and it is part of the V&A waterfront shopping development. It's fairly central to the airport - only about 20-30 minutes away. If you are a runner, you can run along the waterfront towards the Cape Town Stadium [where the World Cup was held], and on to Beach Road meeting other joggers on a Sunday morning.

We found to the Table Bay Hotel to be a warm and hospitable place, with lots of things to do close to the hotel. Rooms are quite nice and service is excellent!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
TableBayHotel, General Manager at The Table Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We have some exciting developments planned for our bar and restaurant and hope to see you in the near future.
Gibraltar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel is right on the V&A waterfront in Cape Town. The lead upto the hotel is impressive as is its entrance, from the moment I stepped into this hotel I knew I was going to enjoy my stay. All the staff were very professional and helpful, the hotel was very secure and my room was immaculate. From the local sweets to the amenities in your bathroom, everything had been thought of. The bar was very welcoming with lots of choice in food and drink. The breakfast was the largest I have ever experienced with quality fresh food to suite all tastes and every morning the choice to sit inside or outside looking along the V&A waterfront towards table mountain was excellent. The tea lounge the restaurants all excellent. The hotel is on the V&A waterfront so a large selection of restaurants and entertainment is also close by. The hotel also has access to the shopping center. Can't fault this hotel excellent stay, I will be back again. Thank you Table Bay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have stayed at the Table Bay three times. Every experience was remarkable. The room, the service, the view and the food are the best. I love the adjacent restaurants and walking on the V & A Waterfront was lovely, as always. I will always go back to the Table Bay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Table Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!