“An historic gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel

You added Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel to your Saves list
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   76 Orange Street | Gardens, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa (City Bowl)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #13 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Arizona
“An historic gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed at this property as part of an organized tour. The rates are such that we would never select on our own, but we were so happy we got to stay here. The property is reminiscent of the Empress Hotel in Victoria BC. We had an especially large room with a view of the back gardens. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and the sculptures and art make walking the grounds very enjoyable. The property is near the City Gardens and a cute neighborhood street containing many local dining facilities. Shopping is also nearby.
The staff is very well trained, through service in the restaurant can be spotty. They offer a beautiful high tea each day and though we didn't have the opportunity to try it, the food looked wonderful.
The "Signature Shop" in off the hotel lobby offers a variety of African-made products that are unique and very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Garden view on the rear of the property.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your impression on the Mount Nelson Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed the sculpture exhibition. We currently have 26 sculptures throughout the gardens; all of which are from South African artists. Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at the Nelson and wish i had not! The room i was allocated was the size of a cupboard and was dirty, the breakfast was a major disappointment we was told that if you wanted seeded bread that they would keep some aside as they had run out, this is meant to be a 5 star establishment.....Staff at the hotel did not clearly have any training as the majority of the service was poor, staff that had been there for some years even admitted to us that it had gone seriously down hill over the last 18 months wish I had know before making a speical trip to surprise my parents who were staying there for 6 weeks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Xavier L, General Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for having stayed at our property. We are very sorry that your experience during your stay was not at the level that one should expect when staying at the Mount Nelson. The reservation that you had made was for a classic room which is the entry level room. The Mount Nelson has 12 of these rooms out of 198 rooms and suites. These rooms are a little smaller than the superior and deluxe rooms. When possible, we try to upgrade guests from these rooms if the hotel has sufficient availability. However, during your visit the hotel was operating at very high occupancies. As you most likely noticed, your parents, who stayed at the hotel 21 nights, were upgraded to a beautiful deluxe room.

The fact that the rooms was not as clean as expected is not acceptable and please accept my apologies on behalf of the housekeeping department.

Training and service are essential to the success of the Mount Nelson Hotel. The hotel's training and development manager organizes, with the help of the department managers, ongoing training sessions. The hotel is regularly monitored by a quality service audit firm and the hotel scores have improved in the past two years.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to discuss this further and hopefully, if you decide to return to the Mount Nelson Hotel, we will be able to change your opinion.

Best regards,
Kendal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Chantel in reservations did all the confirmation for my stay this time,and was as accurate as ever.
The hotel car was waiting for me when I arrived at the airport,and whisked me back to the Nellie.The drivers are friendly and professional,and ensure they get you whereever you are going safely and to time.
I arrived mid-morning,so I was aware the room may not be ready.I just locked my valuables in a safe,got out of my travel togs and lounged by the pool until it became a bit windy in mid afternoon.By which time the room was all sparkling with my usual wonderful view of the mountain from the balcony on the 4th floor.The room is of a very high standard with old world charm,but all the modern facilities you need-free wi-fi,a wall full of international plug sockets,so you can keep everything charged.After I was unpacked my next port of call was to the amazing Librisa spa.This is a beautiful spa,with large treatment rooms as well as a beautiful conservatory,where you can relax before and after your treatments.The sauna is also a good option.Fairoza and Yoscha did my bookings efficiently and with good humour.Natalie did the bulk of my treatments,but Thamba did the odd one as well.Both were excellent.I always reckon the sign of a good masseuse is how well you sleep after it.The certainly succeeded in this.
I start my day burning calories in the beautiful gym,this is like the spa a beautiful building with lots of natural light.This is followed by an indulgent breakfast,where the buffet is packed with fresh fruit,cold meats.fish,cheese.
The kitchen will heat up your croissants for you,cook you eggs to order and will usually meet any reasonable request.Margaret and Katie are true stalwarts having been here for years,while Crystal ensures you get a good table.
The pool team ensure your bed is laid out,and will bring refreshments to your chair throughout the day.They are happy to chat or let you sleep and relax.
The early evening before dinner is usually spent in the Planet bar,where Benson makes sure the glasses are chilled,and the drinks are as requested.
Dinner in Cape town is a great pleasure there are so many great restaurants.I stayed 9 nights this time and went to nine different restaurants.The food is fantastic whether you go to Constatia,into town or venture out to Paarl it is hard to have a bad meall!!The local wines are amazing.
I know I will upset Patrick on reception when I say the true stars of the front office team are the concierge desk,they make everything happen,whether it is restaurant booking,shopping for the mundane things like toothpaste and suncream-nothing is too much trouble.Jo-anne,Byron,Althea and Michelle are very different in character,but have one thing in common the can do attitude.No matter how bizarre the request(and I do have the odd strange request),they can usually do it.
The housekeeping is of a high quality,keeping the bedroom immaculate.
The management are always about talking to guests and getting feedback,Joey is good laugh,and knows the regulars very well.
I must also mention Debbie who organised my cocktail party,and ensured I just had to turn up to greet my guests without worrying about pouring drinks etc!!!
The thing that I really like is that everyone is accessible,because inevitably the odd thing will not always go to plan,but a quiet word with the right person away from the public gaze gets it sorted.Xavier the GM must take credit for this open door policy.
Wonderful grounds, a comfy bed,great facilities and friendly staff what more could you ask from a hotel.This is a piece of magic in a magical city
Kendal mint

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your opinion with this very detailed review. It's always a pleasure having you stay at the Mount Nelson Hotel. Looking forward to seeing you again next November and for many years to come. Kind regards.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The best hotel in South Africa - a truly 5-star establishment. Beautiful historic building set in 9 acres of beautifully maintained garden at the foot of Table Mountain. Sheer traditional elegance with a stylish understated ambience, reflecting excellent taste and class. Outstanding service, wonderful food and afternoon tea, impeccable rooms - a once a lifetime indulgence and experience. Expensive but worth it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Mount Nelson is the best hotel in Cape Town. This beautiful historic hotel has nine acres of beautifully landscaped grounds in the middle of the city, adjacent to the city parks with Table Mountain looming above behind the property. I considered all the five star hotels and was advised to stay here, which I'm glad I did. The rooms, restaurants, pools and staff were all outstanding. Just a beautiful place. Interestingly, when we were there, I was surprised to find that a number of South Africans were at the Mount Nelson on vacation. Note that the website for the hotel doesn't do it justice. The landscaping and artwork around the grounds is gorgeous. Our room/suite was huge and beautifully decorated. The hotels staff was incredibly helpful. My son and I wanted to do White Shark diving, and the Conceirge was an huge help. They were also very helpful with getting us into top restaurants around town. The other places I considered were Cape Grace Hotel and One and Only. We ate at both and checked them out and although both really nice, the Mount Nelson is the place with the old world charm and incredible grounds and definitely the best pick. One nice thing about the property is its an escape from the congestion of the City and the Warf area where most tourists like ourselves swarm. Stay at Mount Nelson, you wont regret it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at the Mount Nelson for five days and was absolutely impressed by every inch of the hotel. I am particularly beguiled by old historic buildings and hotels with that certain traditional elegance, typical of the Orient Express group - this was no exception.

The rooms are large and spacious, room service was efficient (although they kept forgetting to replace my facial cotton pads!), the drivers were brilliant and I love the free green limo service which ferries you to three main locations in CT. We booked trips to Stellenbosch and Cape point via the concierge who was absolutely delightful and a mini encyclopedia. All the staff had big warm smiles (printing business documents when I needed them or some other odd task).

The best part of this experience was that I arrived at the airport to catch my flight out of Cape Town only to realise (30 mins before my flight!) that I had left my passport in the room safe. The staff at Mount Nelson were brilliant, they had my passport with me in under 15mins and without a single charge - reassuring a rather panicked me who kept calling every 2 mins. Now that is what I call, going the extra mile.

Brilliant hotel, highly recommended, you will always see the negative reviews on TripAdvisor - ignore them and just book a room already!

Room Tip: I loved the rooms in the annexes of the hotel (that is not the main building) nice walk from the hot...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

I only stayed at this hotel one night and didnt have much time in the room, but the service was excellent and the staff only happy to help. Now you could say well you that's why you pay the high price tag, but I would say that this hotel is about service and delivering excellence!

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel? Share your experiences!