For years I've been telling all my friends the Plaza Athenee in Paris is the world's best hotel. Then in March I spent five nights at the Cape Grace. The two establishments are now tied, in my estimation, for First Place.
The Cape Grace, like the Plaza Athenee, succeeeds in making every guest feel incredibly special. Each staff member treats you with the friendliness and consideration of a best friend.
The hotel is beautiful, of course. And luxurious in a casually sunny way. But it's really all about the staff, whose faces light-up when they see you, and who really want to know when they ask you about your day.
Cape Grace decor is an attractive mix of South African contemporary design blended with heritage pieces highlighting the region's Dutch history. Walls are adorned with gorgeous hand-painted murals, and if you like blue & white porcelain you'll wish you could take home the museum-quality ginger jars, bowls and plates on display.
Food is top-notch. We had a memorable dinner at Signal, the nautical-themed dining room and breakfast each morning on the terrace by the pool.
As others have mentioned, a large BMW will whisk you around the city free of charge. One day we used the car to take us to the station for the Table Mountain cable car. When our wonderful driver Neil picked us up two hours later, instead of driving us straight back to the hotel, he suggested taking a longer route via Camps Bay and Clifton, so that we were able to see a gorgeous area we'd have otherwise missed. The kind of thing most of us would do, in our hometown, for a visiting FRIEND. Over the course of our stay Neil drove us to a number of places and we teased him by asking "Neil, have you been driving other people around in OUR car?"
We debated staying at the venerable Mount Nelson (see my review), but are SO glad we chose the Cape Grace. In Capetown we wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else.
- Also Known As:
- Cape Grace Hotel Cape Town Central
- Hotel Cape Town
- Cape Town Grace
- Cape Grace Hotel
- Cape Grace Cape Town, South Africa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on a private quay between the working harbour of Cape Town’s bustling Victoria & Alfred Waterfront and the serenity of an international yacht marina, Cape Grace is a welcoming and gracious sanctuary of tradition, sophistication and contemporary comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Agoda, LHW, Venere, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Cape Grace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.