“Simply THE perfect hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Grace

Save Saved
You added Cape Grace to your Saves list
Cape Grace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Quay Road | Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Special Offer
Stay 5 nights and Save
Ranked #7 of 102 hotels in Cape Town Central
Olargues, France
“Simply THE perfect hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

For years I've been telling all my friends the Plaza Athenee in Paris is the world's best hotel. Then in March I spent five nights at the Cape Grace. The two establishments are now tied, in my estimation, for First Place.

The Cape Grace, like the Plaza Athenee, succeeeds in making every guest feel incredibly special. Each staff member treats you with the friendliness and consideration of a best friend.

The hotel is beautiful, of course. And luxurious in a casually sunny way. But it's really all about the staff, whose faces light-up when they see you, and who really want to know when they ask you about your day.

Cape Grace decor is an attractive mix of South African contemporary design blended with heritage pieces highlighting the region's Dutch history. Walls are adorned with gorgeous hand-painted murals, and if you like blue & white porcelain you'll wish you could take home the museum-quality ginger jars, bowls and plates on display.

Food is top-notch. We had a memorable dinner at Signal, the nautical-themed dining room and breakfast each morning on the terrace by the pool.

As others have mentioned, a large BMW will whisk you around the city free of charge. One day we used the car to take us to the station for the Table Mountain cable car. When our wonderful driver Neil picked us up two hours later, instead of driving us straight back to the hotel, he suggested taking a longer route via Camps Bay and Clifton, so that we were able to see a gorgeous area we'd have otherwise missed. The kind of thing most of us would do, in our hometown, for a visiting FRIEND. Over the course of our stay Neil drove us to a number of places and we teased him by asking "Neil, have you been driving other people around in OUR car?"

We debated staying at the venerable Mount Nelson (see my review), but are SO glad we chose the Cape Grace. In Capetown we wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

1,013 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

I was just astonished from the first minute!
I had a birthday and my birthday present was a trip to Africa: Cape Town, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mauritius, Seychelles.
From the first moment we entered the hotel - that was much more than great! Very polite and welcoming staff, all signs of attentions and very beautiful decorations. All this made me feel relaxed after long journey from Russia.
But when we entered the fabulous room and opened the balcony doors- that was the fairy tale! The gorgeous view to Lion's Head and Table Mountain, the sea lions speaking in the harbor and no other sound of civilization. I could hardly believe that we were really in the center of megapolis.
I was really touched by the birthday present from the hotel and my friends were happy to send me champagne and flowers even if the were miles far from us.
We didn't have dinner at the hotel as we'd love to see restaurants around but the breakfast was delicious.
I'm in love with Cape Grace and hope that some day I will return!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
MIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

This has to be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed around the world. Best room distribution by far than anyother. Staff,,,,what can I say....they could not have been more professional, more friendly, more warm.... Service and fodd is out of this world. I cant ait to go back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

So I could wax lyrical about all the wonderful things about this hotel that others already have told ou about -- the free car service to anywhere in the city (within reason), the classy rooms, the comfy and indulgent beds, the gorgeous views... But instead I'm going to tell you a story about how crazy I am and how cool Cape Grace was with that.

I have, ever since I was a little girl, had an all-consuming terror/phobia about frogs. I can't even watch them for two seconds on Animal Planet, my instinct is to scream and throw something at the image. I'm in my twenties now and this still happens - I mean my siblings still won't make jokes about frogs around me, it just upsets me so much.... Now, our room at Cape Grace was decorated with engravings and block prints of various African animals, elegantly mounted and framed of course. I walk into the bathroom as soon as I'm done settling in and -- there it is. A tiny portrait of a frog. Above the toilet. I shriek and run to the bedroom. I call housekeeping and, fully aware that I sound like the most neurotic freak in the hotel, ask someone to come to the room. A lady did, and she was extremely concerned. I was very embarrassed but I just HAD to ask her to take the picture down... Now, get this. She not only did so IMMEDIATELY and without batting an eyelash at the request, SHE apologized to ME for the picture even being there. Can you imagine?? The staff is apologizing to ME for inconveniencing THEM with my irrational, neurotic phobia about frogs that there is no way they could have known about. And THEN after she leaves, a few minutes later there's a knock on my door. It turns out to be the day manager, reiterating the apology for the frog picture and saying that during my next stay to mention the fear and they would ensure that "no frog pictures" would be in the room at all.

And that, my friends, is the story of the classiest, kindest, absolute best hotel service I've EVER gotten. All the snotty hotel workers at all the other five star hotels I've had the pleasure to be at ought to take some notes from Cape Grace!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

Service was fantastic. Beautiful room. Food an ambiance excellant,

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Collingwood, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

Just returned from 5 nts at the Cape Grace Hotel in Cape Town. As a travel agent, I have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world and I must say this hotel tops them all. Beginning with the excellent location directly on the waterfront and views to die for. From the minute we were greeted at the front door, to the service in the "library" bar, the outstanding food in their restaurant and the decor and furnishings, this hotel is the ONLY place to stay in Cape Town, in my opinion. The staff were genuinely friendly and actually cared that everything was perfect. Service with a smile had to be their motto as we did not meet one person who did not exude a terrific attitude. We spoke with some of the waiters and found out they treat their staff like family, treating them to a stay in the hotel so they themselves (many who live in townships) can feel what it is like to be a guest among other perks. I can not say enough good things about this hotel. The manager even personally checks in on you to make sure you enjoyed your stay. We travelled with 2 other couples and the consensus was all the same... PERFECT HOTEL. I can highly recommend this property. It is pricey, but worth every penny. And don't forget to inquire about a sunset cruise on the hotel's own yacht, the Spirit of the Cape.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

I have recently returned from my second visit to the wonderful Cape Grace hotel in Cape Town. This time I was in one of the penthouse suites. This is honestly the best five star hotel I’ve stayed in, anywhere in the world.

The food (prepared by Malika Van Reenen) was incredible. The location of the hotel is the best in Cape Town, by far. What puts this hotel way above the average standard is that everyone, absolutely every one, of the people there are so proud to work at the hotel, and rightly so. The standard of service was the best I’ve ever experienced in any five star hotel.

The penthouse suites I stayed in was magnificent, but so was a smaller room I was in last time.

To sum up: magnificent views of Table Mountain, fantastic food, great location, impeccable service. Hotels don’t get better than this.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Been to Cape Grace? Share your experiences!