“Cape Grace is all about Hospitality!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Grace

Save Saved
You added Cape Grace to your Saves list
Cape Grace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Quay Road | Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Special Offer
Stay 5 nights and Save
Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Seattle
“Cape Grace is all about Hospitality!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife and I were blown away by the Cape Grace. We never expected so many genuine smiles and hospitality out of a city hotel, but that's all received. We upgraded to a Penthouse Suite with lots of room, great views of the waterfront, and so beautifully (with a touch of quirk) decorated.

Our hats off especially to concierge Hoon who so enthusiastically shared his ideas about things to see, do and places to eat. We did two day long private tours, one of the cape peninsula, and the other of the wine country. Excellent guide service with which I believe the hotel works exclusively.

Highly recommended, and with Cape Town being my new favorite global city, I'll be back for a return visit one day!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Earlier this year I paid another visit to the lovely Cape Grace, this time for 3 weeks recuperation
from an Op...I can't think of anywhere better ! The room I'd had before wasn't available but as
soon as it was free I was moved to my favourite side of the hotel, up on the roof with seals
playing outside my window and the Waterfront as the backdrop..I prefer this to the Marina
view.

It's so nice to see staff members who have been there ever since my first stay years ago,
Jacques is ever smiling and ever helpful. Although there was the odd 'niggle' I guess it's
inevitable and dealt with as one would expect.

Cape Grace remains one of my favourite hotels in the world....I'll be back.

Room Tip: Up on the roof would be my choice and I enjoy the activity of watching the bigger boats coming and g...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Short Hills, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This hotel is one of the best we've ever stayed in. The accommodations are very elegant. We stayed in a 3 bedroom suite and it was perfect for our family of five. The rooms are decorated beautifully, the beds are comfortable and the air conditioning is easy to regulate. Signal is a wonderful restaurant. Dinner is fantastic, but breakfasts are outstanding. The waitstaff is incredible. They remembered our preferences from the first day. The entire staff is incredible. Everyone seems to always be smiling. The concierge is very helpful and patient. They staff all help make wonderful suggestions for things for you to do and see. The limo service provided is also helpful. We used the laundry service and it was also great. I wish all hotels had this high standard of service.

Room Tip: The suites are wonderful.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had serious reservations about visiting Cape Town and South Africa in general but we decided to try the Cape Grace, and we were so pleased that we did. The hotel was simply wonderful, the staff were so friendly and the view of Table Mountain was fantastic. South Africa is so cheap, relatively speaking, and we did not feel uneasy at any time as we wondered around the waterfront. On two seperate days we hired private excursions, one a tour around the Cape and secondly a trip to the wine regions, both were fantastic and great value for money.

We cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This is a 5 star hotel hands down. Stayed here for a few nights in a 2 bedroom suite and everything was great. Staff were super friendly, efficient, and provided great service. Overall ambiance and decor of the hotel was spot on. Rooms were comfortable.

I recommend this hotel to someone who likes understated luxury. This hotel will be at the top of my list when I return to Cape Town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I visited the hotel and regret not having stayed there. It is well run, great service and an attentive concierge who knew the city. also location is excellent as you are on the V&A. High tea is an experience and also the whiskey bar is the place to have a drink. The rooms with two bedrooms are very nice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Buckingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed at the Cape Grace in March, as the fourth hotel I've stayed in Cape Town in as many months (see earlier reviews). This was by far the best, and amongst the best I've stayed anywhere. As nearly all the reviews here are glowing, let me try and explain why I think it's so good.

The location is superb, on the waterfront, and 5 minutes flat (and safe) walk to the main tourist hub, with multiple shops, restaurants and the aquarium. Views are either out to the working docks or inland towards Table Mountain. There is plenty of free parking at the hotel for residents.

The welcome is 6-star. I arrived after an overnight flight, then a day's work and was pretty tired. The porter approached my car as I was getting out, enquired whether I was staying, and then introduced himself by name. I reciprocated, and he helped me with my bag. By the time I got to the front desk, they knew me by name, welcomed me as if I was a long-standing guest, as well as offering a juice drink and warm welcome. And this guest identification by name worked throughout my 3 night stay. In the restaurant, at breakfast, on check out, wherever. And it was always done informally, with warmth and a smile, and without any hint of deference - just as if you were a valued customer. Very few hotels - perhaps Ritz-Carlton are the exception - get this so right, each and every time. And I'd booked my room via trip advisor so it was not at rack rate, and this didn't seem to matter at all.

The hotel decor is a wonderful mix of authentic 19th century artifacts and modern style. The rooms are very spacious, with really excellent facilities, like ipod docks, irons and ironing boards, excellent, quiet AC and big windows. Free wifi which worked - throughout the hotel. And a really good (included in price) business centre with printing capabilities.

I ate in the Signal restaurant - and a single diner, you're not always made to feel welcome. Cape Grace treated me as if I was the best customer in the place, gave me a decent table, and the staff chatted to me throughout the meal, yet held off when they saw I was engrossed in a book. The food was excellent - fresh fish and meat ingredients.

The breakfasts are just wonderful - huge quantities of ultra-fresh fruit and other natural ingredients.

There's an excellent library room, where you can browse and borrow books and get hot and other drinks served.

They even give you a loan book in every room - it's one of the new James Bond novels, and I'll let you read to the end to discover why it's in the room. They ask you to leave it when you go, but offer copies for sale in reception.

The price I paid in high season was equivalent to the other hotels in Cape Town, but the experience was notably better, particularly because of the warmth of the staff. And the drinks prices were fair, rather than over-priced.

The only very small negative point was that the bar permitted smoking inside, which to European noses, is something that doesn't happen here any more. I think there is a non-smoking section, but it wasn't in use at the time. Not enough to spoil my stay.

As you'll have gathered, I really did enjoy my stay at this hotel. I may not be back in Cape Town for a while, but if I'm ever given the choice of anywhere to stay, it would only be Cape Grace for me.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front, overlooking the working harbour, are a little cheaper, and are just as good.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Cape Grace? Share your experiences!