“Superb place and staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Backpackers in Green Point (The B.I.G.)

You added The Backpackers in Green Point (The B.I.G.) to your Saves list
The Backpackers in Green Point (The B.I.G.)
18 Thornhill Road | Green Point, Cape Town Central 8005, South Africa   |
New York City, New York
“Superb place and staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed for 5 nights in a private room with en-suite bathroom. Room was spacious, clean and had a nice size bathroom with a huge shower. The common areas are superb; breakfast is great but the best thing is the staff. All super helpful, knowledgable about areas, places to go in and around Cape Town. Lynda helped us planning out some of our Garden Route trip with some great tips. The location in Green Point is nice, just off Main Rd. Supermarket and great deli just a short walk away. I would definitely stay there again. It is quiet and not a crazy party place but you will have a lot fun there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The hostel is located in a quite area, but from there you can easily reach the city center and Clifton beaches.
The double room was very comfortable, the whole structure is very well furnished, and it is one of the few hostels with swimming pool!
Emi and her team are really nice and friendly, and helped me and my boyfriend with every information we needed. We are definitely very well satisfied of our accommodation in Cape Town!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

All staff here are amazing. This is the strongest impression on The B.I.G I can think of :) Every staff is very well trained to take sweet care of every guest, indeed. They memorize everybody's name, take initiative to start conversation all the time. Even if you travel solo, you won't feel lonely here. Other positive reviews are true, I don't need to repeat them :)

Breakfast ( included ) is very lovely and healthy. There is no bar in B.I.G but beer/wine is stocked in fridge, which you can buy. Or else, there is Woolworths nearby, (5 minutes walking) this Woolworths was open even on New Year's Eve and NY, which was absolutely useful.
Linen, Towel is included in the room charge.
Every Thursday is BBQ night (90R) !
There is one laptop for guests to use but you can have free wifi connection.
There are lockers in each room but you have to have your own padlock, If you don't have it with you, you can still buy it from reception.

If you walk up to The V&A Waterfront, it takes 15 minutes. I walked around 19:00 or so. It was still bright, so it was quite alright. This area is rather safe and quiet.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I've traveled quite a lot around. I saw some hotels/guesthouse live up to ratings, I saw several who didn't. The B.I.G. exceeded my expectations allthough ratings are allready very good. Distinguising feature is a very cheerfull and very helpfull staff, who create a very good but also laid back atmosphere. The place is nice and well maintained. Very highly recommended.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I've only visited 7 hostels in 4 countries, but this was the best hostel experience I've ever had.

The staff treat you as family and help you find ways to make your stay memorable by recommending cool cultural experiences to try. Everybody seems to quickly get to know you on a first name basis. Breakfasts and other meals provide energetic but not loud/party community time. Several of my hikes and other adventures were accompanied or arranged by staff and/or other guests.

Quiet hours are honored very well, and there are quiet rooms during the day in which to work, write, etc. Their laundry service is incredibly efficient.

You couldn't ask for a better location in Cape Town, especially for the price. Restaurants are 2 to 3 blocks from the hostel and inexpensive; the water front is less than a 10-minute walk. The parking for Table Mountain, Lion's Head, and Signal Hill are a few, short minutes by rental car or taxi. I walked downtown to rent a car in fewer than 20 minutes, I think.

The design and decor of the hostel makes it feel like a hip hotel, and there is a lot of attention to detail that can't be overstated. Their music selection for the common area is top shelf, too. Their weekly braai introduced me to great food. I loved that my shower had a high window that could open to the skyline—a great way to start the day.

If I ever return to Cape Town, I would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: Mixed dorm rooms have access to the roof patio overlooking the pool. Other rooms have direct access...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I could not have asked for a better back packers in Cape Town, or even the world! The B.I.G was chilled out, clean, and in general pretty freaking cool. The staff were great as well! They were always around to help me find something to do, or even just to have a chat or a drink. You guys really made my stay in Cape Town amazing and I know I will be back some day!

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The BIG did an amazing job of making me feel completely at home, the rooms were really nicely decorated and the place just had an awesome feel about it. The staff were incredibly helpful and were more than happy to organise all the activities i wanted to do, leaving me free to relax and enjoy the holiday. Loved every minute of my stay here, will definitely be coming back!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Been to The Backpackers in Green Point (The B.I.G.)? Share your experiences!