“Everyone should go!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Cape Town, a city so wonderfully rich in history, culture, architecture and people. Come and experience the magic of this energetic city - Wanderlust is waiting for you. We keep our groups small so that you can truly hear the story of Cape Town from the days of the Dutch East India Company to the present. We explore the historic city centre, the former Dutch East India Company's Garden and the country's oldest Muslim area, known as Bo-Kaap. Let's uncover the different layers of the city's history together - we want you to get the feel of the town and its people. The walks last about 2.5 hours and can be handled by anybody, there is no steep uphill except for a gentle rise towards Bo-Kaap. (It is recommended that ladies carry a scarf to cover the shoulders,in the event that we enter a mosque.) No prior booking is necessary during the summer season, although in the winter months from May to end September it is advisable to book. Just come to Cape Town Tourism or the Ulrich Naumann Bookshop, both in Burg Street, to purchase your ticket for the "Cape Town on Foot & Bo-Kaap" walk. The fee for adults is R 200.00 per person (cash only). Accompanied children under 14 walk free. From Monday to Friday the walk starts at 11h00 and on Saturdays at 10h00. The walks are conducted in English and/or German, depending on the composition of the group. Parking is available in the nearby 'Parkade' Garage in Strand Street. From there cross Strand Street, (the Cape Sun Hotel is on the left, the Pinnacle Buildg. to the right)and walk about 150m along Burg Street towards the mountain. You find the Bookshop on your left and Cape Town Tourism on the right. The walk is based on the books "Cape Town on Foot & Bo-Kaap" and "Bo-Kaap & Islam" by Ursula Stevens.
Johannesburg
“Everyone should go!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This tour is definitely not one to be missed! Ursula is the most wonderful tour guide with a wealth of information. Her knowledge of the city, mixed with her own personal memories and great sense of humor, make for an experience that you'll never forget! Worth every scent!

Visited July 2013
Capetownonfoot, Owner at Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
thanks for taking the time and most of all, thank you for walking with us. It was a great pleasure to show you our city. Hopefully it was not the last time that we meet!

Madrid, Spain
“Great walk with Wolfang- I really recommend it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I chose this guided tour because you don't have to book in advance: you just turn up at 11 at the information point in Burg Street, which is very convenient.

Wolfgang was an excellent guide, one of the best I have ever had. He has a wide knowledge of Cape Town and knows how to transmit it in a very entertaining way.

It was really interesting to hear him talking about architecture (I loved the Art Deco builiding of Old Mutual or how he taught me to differenciate an Afrikaans house from one built by the descendants of the English) or explaining the different types of trees in Company Gardens....

What I most liked was the attention he pays to details of historic events, the kind of things you wouldn't find in a guide book and that turn a walking tour into a very enjoyable and experience.

I was also very grateful to him, because that day I was the only one attending the tour (I guess because the autumn was already there and there are not many tourist at this time of year). He could have told me that he had a minimum number of people attending, which I would have completely understood, but he dedided to do the 2'5 hour tour only for me. It was a luxury!

Visited May 2013
Capetownonfoot, Owner at Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Traveller from Madrid
Thank you so much for your warm words. It makes it so much more enjoyable for the guide to walk with somebody who appreciates his own passion for the city.Your thanks are are a rich reward for Wolfgang.
I hope the memories of the Mother City will linger on for you. thanks again for taking the trouble and time to comment. Regards
Ursula
London, United Kingdom
“What a great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Graham P

Ursula was our guide. Small group which was great. Memorable. Ursula had a fantastic range of information and brought every part of the walk alive with great facts and insights. Gentle pace but covered a lot of the city. It was a very personal and memorable experience. Perfect. Try it! You will not be disappointed!

Visited February 2013
Capetownonfoot, Owner at Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thanks! I am grateful to you for taking the time to reflect on the walk. It is a wonderful privilege to show our visitors our fascinating city. I hope your memories will stay with you.
Bangor N. Ireland
5 attraction reviews
“A different view of Cape Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

In January my husband and I paid our second visit to South Africa and Cape Town. We decided to try a few different experiences. We had heard of a walking tour of the city and thought it was for 1 hour. When we discovered it would last for 2.5- 3 hours we were a bit apprehensive. We need not have been. Our guide, Ursula, made every moment of the walk so interesting that the time flew by. We visited places we would never have thought to go to and got an insight into the present day and history of Cape Town. Ursula never bored us with long lectures but instead gave us snippets of information which we found easy to remember. She was also interested in our safety warning us of the dangers of being a pedestrian! There were just three of us taking the walk on this particular day. Norman and I from Northern Ireland and a lady from England. This made it a very personal experience for us.
Thank you, Ursula, for such a memorable walk

Visited January 2013
Capetownonfoot, Owner at Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words. It was wonderful for me to guide you through the city as you showed so much interest and enthusiasm. I appreciate it very much that you took the time to review the walk.
London, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“Perfect introduction to Cape Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We took the tour with Ursula's colleague Wolfgang. He was a mine of information bringing the history of the city to life with so many interesting facts and details. Our discussions with him were wide ranging and we learnt so much about the city and the country's culture and politics. Very well worth the money and not formulaic in any way. I would say a must do if visiting this city.

Visited February 2013
Capetownonfoot, Owner at Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your warm words. For us it is always encouraging to receive positive feedback. It makes us try even harder!