“A must hike in Cape Town” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hike Table Mountain

Hike Table Mountain
16 Killarney Mansions, Gorge Road | Oranjezicht, Cape Town Central 8005, South Africa
+27 (0) 21 461 1596
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Hike Table Mountain is an owner-operated mountain guiding business specializing in hikes and climbs on Table Mountain and around Cape Point. A passion for nature and mountains coupled with a commitment to service excellence lies at the heartbeat of what we do, ensuring you get the ultimate mountain experience. Run by qualified, accredited, attentive and highly-experienced mountain guides. All hikes and climbs are customized to suit your level of fitness and sense of adventure. We are the only guiding company offering hikes up all routes on Table Mountain. Whether you are a first-time hiker or seasoned trekker, adrenalin junky or nature lover, we make sure you get the experience you are looking for.
5 attraction reviews
“A must hike in Cape Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Riaan knows the mountain in and out and up and down and you fell completely safe no matter how steap or how close to the edge the hike takes you. Together with two other hikers I did the more challening Hiddingh-Ascension route and with his calm nature Riaan lead us to the top facing and overcoming our different challenges while enjoying fantastic scenary and places where man rarely sets foot. This was really an amazing experience and not only a travel deep into the mountain but also into myself. If you are up for an adventure, trust me, it doesn't get better than this. Many thanks Riaan, I will never forget it.

Visited October 2013

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Memorable experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had a great time hiking table mountain with Riann, it was our first hiking experience, and one we'll never forget! We were collected from our hotel at 6.30am on our agreed date, and started hiking the India Venster route around 7am, with 2 other couples. I was very sceptical during the hike due be being afraid of heights, but Riaan helped me over come my fear and feel at ease with what I was doing. We found that Riaan was very passionate about his job, providing us with history of the mountain as well as information about mountain wildlife and native flower, Making many jokes along the way, adding humour to our hike and making us all feel comfortable. The hike took us just over 4 hours to complete, with Riaan being a helpful, enthusiastic guide from beginning to end. After we had completed the hike we were contemplating contacting Riaan to ask to do it for a second time, but due to other excursions we had already booked we didn't have enough time, if we're ever in cape town again, hiking table mountain with Riaan will be first on our agenda, Definitely recommend this man and his passion for hiking!!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
“Grotto fountain cairn traverse hike up table mountain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Had a great adventure hiking the grotto fountain cairn traverse route up table mountain with Riaan. If you are an adrenaline junkie and love rock scrambling this is the hike for you. Just make sure you are ok with heights and have no problem hiking along a narrow ledge (and sometimes very narrow) for 2 or 3 hours. We went on a good weather day and the views all around were amazing. Riaan is a great guide. Always providing tips on how to safely hike this route and also setting up safety ropes for the more tricky rock scrambling sections. Really was an awesome experience. If interested, be sure to search the web for some pictures of this hike so you are sure you will be comfortable with the narrow sections.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The BEST hike of our lives!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Riaan was absolutely an amazing hiking guide and gave us one of the most memorable experiences of our lives on table mountain. Me and my husband went to Cape Town on honeymoon from the US and wanted to have a guide to pick us and drop us back off to our hotel and just plan all those details out for us so that we would feel safe. After booking the hike we asked Riaan if he had time free another day to take us to see the penguins at Boulders and he said he could do that too. It was so nice to be so well taken care of in a foreign country. He was on time, easy to communicate with, friendly and best of all so much fun to hike with! He gave us lots of info, took us up a challenging but rewarding trail and helped us out along the way. I am not a hiking enthusiast, although i do love nature, but I have gone on many a boring hike (despite beautiful natural surroundings), it really is the guide that makes the experience! Riaan knew just when to take breaks and when to push us on. All in all, hiking with Riaan was absolutely a fantastic experience and I give him my highest recommendations!

Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

As I told Riaan, when I saw his reviews on TripAdvisor, I thought it must be a scam. 135 perfect scores out of 136? Well, after setting aside my skepticism and joining up for a hike, I can say its totally legit and well deserved.

My wife and I joined Riaan for a hike of the India Venster route up Table Mountain. We met up at 7am, and completed the up and down hike (cab car was closed, otherwise we probably would've skipped the hike down) shortly after noon. Riaan was incredibly knowledgeable -- a wealth of information on the mountain, the flora/fauna, Cape Town, and hiking/mountaineering in general. The route was challenging, but offered amazing views and a much needed workout amidst all the dinners and vineyards. My wife and I aren't real climbers, but the sporadic scrambling required by the trail and Riaan's guidance made us feel like real climbers, if only for a few hours. The next two days, we did not feel like climbers ... we just felt really sore. But we'd do it again for sure.

Hit up Riaan if you're thinking about climbing Table Mountain. And if you're coming from the States, bring him a few Clif Bars ... he loves them, but can't get them in SA.

Visited August 2013