“Even in the Rain, Table Mountain is Worth the Hike” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hike Table Mountain

Hike Table Mountain
16 Killarney Mansions, Gorge Road | Oranjezicht, Cape Town Central 8005, South Africa
+27 (0) 21 461 1596
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Hike Table Mountain is an owner-operated mountain guiding business specializing in hikes and climbs on Table Mountain and around Cape Point. A passion for nature and mountains coupled with a commitment to service excellence lies at the heartbeat of what we do, ensuring you get the ultimate mountain experience. Run by qualified, accredited, attentive and highly-experienced mountain guides. All hikes and climbs are customized to suit your level of fitness and sense of adventure. We are the only guiding company offering hikes up all routes on Table Mountain. Whether you are a first-time hiker or seasoned trekker, adrenalin junky or nature lover, we make sure you get the experience you are looking for.
New York, New York, United States
“Even in the Rain, Table Mountain is Worth the Hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We just hiked the India Venster trail with Riaan on a miserable, rainy, foggy, hailing Thursday morning and despite the weather it was a great hike. Well, the ascent was great, at least ... the rain started in earnest as we approached the top; I bet we hold the record for least time spent at the summit. We didn't even bother with a photograph!

Despite the conditions -- all of which Riaan noted in detail before we left -- we had a good time and can state unequivocally that Riaan is a professional, conscientious and enthusiastic guide who loves Table Mountain and Cape Town. Riaan spent a good portion of the hike detailing the mountain's history and terrain and answering our random questions. Then, as we slid down the mountain after summitting and it began to hail, Riaan distracted us from our misery with various Cape Town restaurant recommendations (definitely eat at The Codfather) and questions about our hometown.

The bottom line is, if you plan to hike Table Mountain at any level, don't go without Riaan. And, if it is raining, don't go without a rain jacket.

Virginia
11 attraction reviews
“Doesn't get any better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Our family of 5 went for a hike on India Venster with Riaan. He was simply fantastic. He made sure each person in our party was safe but still excited and challenged. My husband and I were less confident than the kids, but Riaan helped us complete the trail without feeling uncomfortable. He even took the kids on a detour to a more challenging exposed ledges trail that was a highlight of the Africa trip for them. On top of his professionalism, Riaan is just a pleasure to be around and added tremendously to our day. I recommend him without hesitation!

New York City, New York
“Believe all the five-star reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

As a long-time reader of TripAdvisor, it was our climb with Riaan that catalyzed me finally becoming a contributor. Despite teasing him about the need to have some non five-star reviews, no guide or excursion has been more deserving of such acclaim. Riaan is very responsive during the booking process, extremely knowledgeable about climbing and the mountain and most of all, a great guy to spend a few hours with.

Hiking the India Venster route with Riaan was a perfect way to get some exercise and learn about Cape Town's piece de resistance. For anyone who enjoys outdoor activity and fantastic scenery, Hike Table Mountain is a highly, highly recommended activity.

Bucharest, Romania
4 attraction reviews
“A must do activity with one of the greatest guides you'll ever meet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

First of all, to those who aren't sure if its worth hiring a guide for a Table Mountain hike, I say this:
Not only its worth it, but its actually mandatory, if you care about your safety.

Probably, the only route that can be done without a guide is "Plateklip Gorge" (from where we walked down).

However, in my opinion, while the scenary offered through this route is beautiful, it doesn't do Table Mountain full justice.

You can get much more from your hiking experience by taking a more challenging route.

Now, about Riaan:

He is one of the best guides I've seen!
He is not only a mountain guide, but an excellent physcologist as well.
He is calm, knows how to build your self confidence, so you'd do things you'd never imagine.

I was convinced of this after I saw my girlfriend completing a demanding route called "India Venster".

In my opinion, the only reason she pulled it off, admitingly surprizing even herself, was Riaan.

Just to give you an idea of how easily she gets scared, I have to tell you that she once broke down in tears after going through a roller-coaster ride in Disneyland!

And, here she was, doing rock climbing (or scrambling) up the Table Mountain.

Of course, her first reaction (and my first thoughts) when she saw the path ahead was: "I can't do this! I'll wait for you here".

Thanks to Riaan's calm and expertise, not only she did it, but she actually enjoyed it!

As I said earlier, we went up through "India Venster" and walked down from "Plateklip Gorge".

In all, it took us a little over five hours to complete this route and, at the end of it, we had:

- One of the best days during our stay in Cape Town
- Met a great guide
- Made a friend

So, if you're thinking of hiring Riaan as your guide, do it with no hesitation!

Make sure to tell him about your physical condition and how fit you are.
Riaan will give you the best advice on which route to take, so not only you'll have a lot of fun, but will have a sense of achievement once you've completed your hike.

Visited June 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
“Riaan made it feel easy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I grew up in very flat Florida and are not very experienced hikers, so we were a little nervous at first. Even when we were half way up I was still worried we wouldn't make it! BUT Riaan made every step of the way seem so easy. He gave us tips when we needed it, gave us information on the area and the mountain, and was an amazing guide. There is no way we could have done it on our own, and it was a real achievement when we were finished! We had an amazing time!