“Best experience in many years of traveling” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Queen Victoria Hotel

Save Saved
You added Queen Victoria Hotel to your Saves list
Queen Victoria Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Portswood Close, Portswood Ridge | V&A Waterfront, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Ranked #20 of 102 hotels in Cape Town Central
Ottawa, Canada
“Best experience in many years of traveling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

When we were picked up at the airport we were informed that we had been upgraded from our V&A booking. The cynic in me said yeah right just a scam because we got a cheap rate on booking.com. Boy was I wrong. To be fair I have not stayed at the V&A, but their is no way this place is not a huge upgrade. From the warm greeting by the doorman, to the attentive service during check-in, the experience following 24hrs of travel was wonderful. We are in 1212 ( don't leave until tomorrow) which has an ok view of the mountain ( or at least the clouds covering it). But let's face it, who wants to spend time indoors looking out, when you are a short stroll to the centre of it all.
On our second day we headed out on a shark tour, when we returned to our room, we had a note saying we had reservations at Gold Resturant. Now this was on our list of things to do, but I will swear up and down that I did not pass that on to the hotel. I confronted Bobby about this and he claims I must have mentioned it on check-in. The fact that they remembered (and acted upon) something I have no recollection of speaks volumes to the attention to detail by this hotel staff ( BTW, highly recommend a night at Gold).
Every morning we were greeted by our friends in the dining room, and after a few days I believe you will also refer to the dining room staff as friends, they are just that nice, where we were treated to a magnificent breakfast, that became on of the highlights of the day.
Tonight we stayed in and had dinner at Dash. what a wonderful meal! If I could figure out how to post pictures to this site I would because words cannot describe how visually stunning the meal was. And it tasted better than it looked! For the two of us to have a meal of similar quality back in Canada, we would easily spend 3 times the $90 Cdn this meal cost.
We head out tomorrow, but are booked into the V&A on the 29th before our flight home. Here's hoping for another upgrade

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Neil M, Managing Director at Queen Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Good day

Thank you for your wonderful review on your recent stay with us. I'm very glad to hear that you had such an amazing time and I will certainly pass the complimentary remarks on to Bobby and the staff at Queen Victoria Hotel and Dash Restaurant.

332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just back from a 5 night stay at the Queen Victoria and I really enjoyed my stay.
My room was in the ground floor, big, quiet, but not great view, but we still enjoyed the serenity of the hotel.
I actually requested for a room in higher level, the front desk said they will look into it, but never came back to me, having said this, the room was still very comfortable.
The hotel is small and the decor is modern and fresh, I liked it. Also the breakfast was very nice and the guys working at the restaurant were extremely nice. I thought it was great having breakfast served until 11 and there is champagne for those who want a champagne breakfast/brunch!
I agree with some of the comments about the Front Desk not being very friendly but not a major complain though.
All in all, I definitely recommend this hotel as it is centrally located, with big rooms and comfortable beds.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Good day

Thank you for having taken the time to write a review in respect of your recent stay at the Queen Victoria Hotel. This allows me the opportunity to monitor our service levels to guests. Thanks for the compliments as well as pointing out the areas for improvements.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a total of 5 nights bookending a 2 week trip to Africa in August 2012. The room was clean and comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helped book excursions. The location of the hotel is excellent - right in the middle of the V&A Waterfront, with easy access to restaurants, nightlife, etc., as well as the red double decker bus that made for easy and cheap transportation all around town. Great views from the room. The hotel is small enough that the staff knows you by name, even on a short stay.
Breakfast was excellent - choice of hot items off the menu plus a full continental selection. Tea was especially noteworthy.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room facing the waterfront for the best views.
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Neil M, Managing Director at Queen Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Sarah

We sincerely appreciate your complimentary remarks on your stay at the Queen Victoria Hotel. I'm very glad to hear that we could assist in ending your tour of Africa on a high note! We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Cape Town.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were very happy with QV. The rooms and sheets were clean. Staff were courteous and the breakfast spread was good. The location was excellent, a few minutes walk to the waterfront. We feel safe and secure. Fantastic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Good day

Thank you very much for your wonderful review on the Queen Victoria Hotel. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Cape Town!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed here in March and was overall happy with the experience. The hotel is cute - small and intimate and great if you don't like big crowds and chaos. It is right on the V&A but you have to go up some steps so slightly removed from the hustle and bustle. I liked the decor as it feels like a comfortable / cozy modern.
Only negative is that the staff at the reception weren't particularly friendly and also our room was on the ground floor with an average view. I had emailed the hotel in advance to ask for a good room as this was supposed to be a surprise weekend for my partner so I was disappointed with what they gave us.
The breakfast was good and the staff in the restaurant was lovely.
i would recommend it as it was a comfortable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Neil M, Managing Director at Queen Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Jessica

Thank you for having taken the time to write a review in respect of your stay at the Queen Victoria Hotel earlier this year. I’m glad to hear that you found the location to be convenient and liked the décor of the hotel.

We strive to deliver only the highest standard of service to our guests so it saddens me to hear that you did not find the reception staff to be particularly friendly. Baring the view, the standard of accommodation and the ground floor is the same as on the other two floors and I apologize that your request for a good room was not allocated on a higher floor.

Thank you for your feedback as it provides me with the opportunity to continually monitor our service levels.

Managing Director – Newmark Hotels, Reserves & Lodges
Hawkes Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is right where you need to be, on the waterfront where it all happens. There is a very large shopping mall and also a lot of entertainment. The staff at the hotel are very friendly nothing is too much trouble. The hotel very clean and meals are amazing. Even though the hotel is a little more expensive than others a little further away it is well worth paying the extra.

Room Tip: Great locality
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Annie

Thank you for having taken the time to write this lovely review on the Queen Victoria Hotel. I will pass your compliments on to the staff and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Cape Town!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night and it was absolutely divine. We were in room 1205. From when we arrived the staff were all so friendly, the hotel is beautiful, clean, smells nice and there is fresh ice tea on hand. The room itself is so beautiful - shades of greys, with beautiful artwork and furniture. We started off having a workout at the next door gym (where all the equipment is new and clean), then a massage at the spa which is open till 8pm. Then dinner at Dash. The food beautiful to look at and tastes amazing!
Then a wonderful night's sleep : firm bed, quiet, dark room, air-con, nice tv. Then woke up to a great breakfast: fresh fruit, eggs, salmon, cheeses, bread, fresh fruit smoothies, delicious coffee.

All in all couldn't have asked for a better stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tarryn

Thank you very much for your raving review of the Queen Victoria Hotel and Dash Restaurant. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back to the Queen Victoria Hotel again soon!

Managing Director - Newmark Hotels, Reserves & Lodges

Been to Queen Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!