“you will be speachless....” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the drama of the world’s first human heart transplant performed by Prof. Chris Barnard in 1967 in the fully restored operating theatres where the surgery took place. The fascinating and very emotional stories of the donor, recipient and medical team involved are told on a fully guided, 2 hour tour with the help of life sized silicone models and replicas of important scenes. Certainly an experience not to be missed!
Camps Bay, South Africa
“you will be speachless....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

if you are in the situation that someone around you had a transplant - or if yourself had a transplant - or if you just interested in medical history - this is the place to go. The private Person who set up this place to what it is now did such an amazing Job with all the research and getting the original parts for his demonstration rooms I was speachless. I just think everbody should about this entire Story and see how small we are in our days - going back all this year when the frist transplant happened and seeing all the items used for the op's wow wow wow - well done to the Museum - the Guides where all part of the Team in these days and speak out of experiance.

Visited February 2013

• Arabic first
San Diego, California
27 attraction reviews
“Amazing Tour - Must See”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

As a teenager growing up in the 1960's I remember quite well all of the events that led up to this first heart transplant surgery performed by Professor Barnard. As an aspiring doctor i recall following all of the historical events leading to this first successful heart transplant in history. Taking this tour brought back for me numerous memories of the events that led up to this heart transplantation procedure. The history is recreated very accurately. The Madame Touseaud style manikins representing the various important characters bring back to life those very important people. .The tour guide we had was super knowledgeable I took over 1000 digital photos in this place. It is a must see. A trip to Cape Town should include a visit to this fascinating place. I look forward to going back and seeing the place once again during my next visit to Cape Town. Thank you heart of CT Museum for accurately recreating history. All the best always. Dr. S.

Visited June 2013
“Fascinating tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I am a pediatrics resident doctor from Canada. I found the museum tour to be scintillating for people of all backgrounds, both medical and non-medical. I loved the medical aspects (obviously), but was particularly fascinated by how they related to the era. I also loved hearing about the stories behind the different players who contributed to the world's first human heart transplantation.

Visited March 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
35 attraction reviews
“Visiting History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I remember as a child when Chris Bernaard completed the first heart transplant. To see this museum was revisiting a part of my child that influenced me greatly. We had a guide take us through who was very informative. Definitely a must see. Total time was about 1 1/2 hours.

Visited May 2013
Kingswinford
4 attraction reviews
“A trip to Cape Town must include this museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

At first I didn't wont to visit this museum the thought of operating theater put me off
bit how wrong I was it brought back memories of the day that operation was performed.now a day in history
The museum is set up in the actual operating theater you get the feel of what is must have been like.
The film about Christian Barnard was also very interesting and very informative about his life and also his brother who helped him in the operation.
I was so moved by this visit that on my return home I bought his book Second Life that's how much i enjoyed the visit
Even if you don't like hospitals this is still a pleasant museum

Visited June 2012