“Amazing Tour - Must See” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Experience the drama of the world’s first human heart transplant performed by Prof. Chris Barnard in 1967 in the fully restored operating theatres where the surgery took place. The fascinating and very emotional stories of the donor, recipient and medical team involved are told on a fully guided, 2 hour tour with the help of life sized silicone models and replicas of important scenes. Certainly an experience not to be missed!
San Diego, California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Amazing Tour - Must See”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

As a teenager growing up in the 1960's I remember quite well all of the events that led up to this first heart transplant surgery performed by Professor Barnard. As an aspiring doctor i recall following all of the historical events leading to this first successful heart transplant in history. Taking this tour brought back for me numerous memories of the events that led up to this heart transplantation procedure. The history is recreated very accurately. The Madame Touseaud style manikins representing the various important characters bring back to life those very important people. .The tour guide we had was super knowledgeable I took over 1000 digital photos in this place. It is a must see. A trip to Cape Town should include a visit to this fascinating place. I look forward to going back and seeing the place once again during my next visit to Cape Town. Thank you heart of CT Museum for accurately recreating history. All the best always. Dr. S.

Visited June 2013

• Arabic first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fascinating tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I am a pediatrics resident doctor from Canada. I found the museum tour to be scintillating for people of all backgrounds, both medical and non-medical. I loved the medical aspects (obviously), but was particularly fascinated by how they related to the era. I also loved hearing about the stories behind the different players who contributed to the world's first human heart transplantation.

Visited March 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Visiting History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I remember as a child when Chris Bernaard completed the first heart transplant. To see this museum was revisiting a part of my child that influenced me greatly. We had a guide take us through who was very informative. Definitely a must see. Total time was about 1 1/2 hours.

Visited May 2013
Kingswinford
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A trip to Cape Town must include this museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

At first I didn't wont to visit this museum the thought of operating theater put me off
bit how wrong I was it brought back memories of the day that operation was performed.now a day in history
The museum is set up in the actual operating theater you get the feel of what is must have been like.
The film about Christian Barnard was also very interesting and very informative about his life and also his brother who helped him in the operation.
I was so moved by this visit that on my return home I bought his book Second Life that's how much i enjoyed the visit
Even if you don't like hospitals this is still a pleasant museum

Visited June 2012
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wish I have more time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Well put together. Much to see and study. Would like to go again and allow more time to see everything.

Visited April 2013