“Excellent for price/location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kings in Cape Hotel

You added Kings in Cape Hotel to your Saves list
Kings in Cape Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   33 Hout Street, Cape Town Central 8000, South Africa   |
Ranked #143 of 152 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
WA State
“Excellent for price/location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

As I typically do, I’ll sum up the top and bottom three aspects of the hotel (as I experienced them). For other implications of my stay, feel free to continue reading on.

Top 3:
1. Location. Located in City Bowl, you can walk almost anywhere that is almost anything near downtown Cape Town. Near the South African Missionary Meeting House Museum, fun Long Street, right around the corner to Greenmarket Square, etc., etc. Plus, I love walking and went to the Waterfront, the train station (to get to Kalk Bay), signal hill and more. Near the Civic Center if you take the bus from the airport (no problem). Ideal location to springboard to the South African experience;
2. Staff. Excellent and caring staff. From the servers for the breakfast, to the housekeeping staff, I was treated very courteously. I also tipped the staff (~R5-10 per day) and that meant extra special treatment. Please note that much of the staff does not make an exorbitant wage, and the little bit extra really does help. Security staff was good too (it’s really needed);
3. Breakfast. Mostly an English breakfast, but it was a great way to start the day. Plus (if you’re a tea sipper like me), Rooibos if requested.

Bottom 3:
1. Noise. Simply put, a noisy part of town (I was in room 203 facing the road). Whether its vendors pushing their carts to Greenmarket Square every day at 5:00 am, or the Backpacker hotel across the street, expect noise. Oh, and the Irish Bar on the corner, sometimes verbal altercations at closing time. If noise bothers you, don’t face the street. I was at this location for 15 days, and you will hear some boisterous verbal arguments in the streets;
2. Wi-Fi. Was there for business/pleasure, and the Wi-Fi cut out occasionally. But was up most of the time;
3. Family Set up. Probably not the greatest setting for a family if you are wanting select facilities for kids (i.e. no pool, no Cartoon channel etc.). Minor complaint.

Overall, good value for what I paid.

Ok, for those who want to know more…...
Downtown Cape Town is a wonderful place. You can live sheltered and spend a lot of money, or inexpensively (like I did) and really experience the place and the people. In my opinion, the Red/Blue tourist buses are the best deals you can find. Great price and you will learn much of the area. You can even visit a Township on the Blue Route (I would highly recommend that experience!). I have been to every continent (except Antarctica) and many countries, and South Africa is one of the most exciting experiences I have ever had. Visit Table Mountain, experience the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, visit Robben island (a must!) and do NOT forget the V&A Waterfront. Lastly (then I will stop), among the nicest people I have ever met in the world (white, coloured and Black). However, there are some bad people that will let you have it if you are not careful (especially after dark). After all, this is a developing nation with significant social issues (but it is far advanced vs. much of other Africa).

Have fun and I hope this helps!

Room Tip: Don't face road
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I had tge worst experience of all my travels. Requested plain yoghurt for breakfast on 1st day. That was not made available. I raised the matter with F&B manager but no change. On my last day I requested a packed breakfast because I was departing early, that was also not delivered. I felt like I was being done a favour by staying with them.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Coming to breakfast was such a disappointment. You not only wait long for tour hot meal, buy it is also cold on arrival. Orders for the hot meal was totally mixed up
Maybe the waitress did not understand us completely. The place is not that clean. The positive is that the my city bus stops in front of the hotel for sight seeing. I would not advise families to come here as it seems like ladies of the night is "treated" here for their breakfast. My assumption of what I have seen.

• Stayed July 2013
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed 25-28th of June in the Kings in Cape Hotel. Very nice decorated (small) and very clean rooms in downtown Cape Town. Very good. Being located between Long Street and Greenmarket Square it was even surprisingly quiet to sleep there with open window at the streetside. The heating (airco) was also excellent...
However an hour after checking out, the receptionist called me to inform me that I forgot a shirt in my rooms.
During perhaps about 1000 stays in hotels in Europe, North and Central AMerica, Asia and Africa, this never happened (of yes I lost a lot of things- but NEVER I got a call I forgot something.). An hour later I had my shirt back and a big smile on my face... Well done!
I certainly will go back

Room Tip: Even the streetside room was quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Cranbrook, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Knowing that we would be giving up our rented car upon arrival in Capetown, we looked for a centrally-located hotel and found Kings in Cape Hotel, where we stayed for eight nights. It was indeed located within walking distance of most of the action - shopping, large city square where the daily outdoor market took place, sidewalk cafes, etc. The City Tour bus even rolled past the hotel door. The waterfront was also within walking distance, as was a theatre.

We had a large quiet family room with loveseat, chair, free WIFI, air conditioning and an updated bathroom. Breakfast, which was included in the reasonable room price, was ordered from the menu. The restaurant/bar area was called Ethopian Dishes. One evening we shared an authentic Ethopian meal, which was delicious and plentiful.

The staff and management were friendly, watchful and accommodating.

As we did not have a SA cell phone, it would have been convenient to have a telephone in the room; however, it was compensated for by being able to use the reception telephone.

There were renovations ongoing, partially in the hotel, as well as further shops being constructed at the lower hotel level; however, that did not obstruct our stay.

Room Tip: Good value and good people.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Stirling, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in here for a few drinks after the bars had closed. We aren't interested in the nightclubs so we nipped in on the way back to our hotel.

It's just off Long Street and it's open until 2am.

Good range of drinks at reasonable prices but at 1am we were the only customers in.

Very clean and comfy couches to sit on.

An ok place for a quiet, late night drink.

• Stayed March 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

What's great about this hotel is the customer service. The staff is really helpful in sorting out any concerns you may have or any difficulties and I have to say special thanks to Marisa the GM at the hotel who is extremely helpful and cooperative.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kings in Cape Hotel? Share your experiences!