“Worth a return visit” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: French
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Opened in May 2010, La Mouette already established itself as a restaurant of note. We enjoyed a memorable Tasting Menu of 6 courses for R185, every item beautifully presented and delicious. We heartily recommend La Mouette.
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Worth a return visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

We had a great experience. The menu is appealing, everything passed us to other tables beautifully presented. I had a gazpacho and tuna tatare starter which was delicious and a Springbok main also really good. Dessert menu looked worth a try for next time.

Visited December 2013

Blackburn
“If only the owner was as charming and accodating as the staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We visited in a party of eight booked for 8.30 by Protea President, we were there when reception did it. When we arrived we were told it was booked for nine, fine. We were given the private dining room and we asked if we could have the tasting menu, with one exception, one of the ladies did not do fish, she was brusquely informed she could have the vegetarian tasting menu, the option being take it or leave it. Food pretty good in a tasty, unsatisfying way I wish we had gone with the a-la-carte. Staff and service charming and price reasonable considering the effort taken and wine included.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Fish scales”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I find myself having difficulty reviewing this restaurant because whilst I rate the tasting menu experience very highly there was one incident which spoiled the experience. In my fish dish I found a scale which I pointed out to the waiter who relayed the message to the kitchen and returned saying that the chef said it was crispy skin. I find this disrespectful in the extreme, I have eaten crispy skin before and I am familiar with scales so I do know the difference between the two and a chef, worthy of a fine dining establishment, should know that patrons who are willing to pay the price of the tasting menu is slightly more discerning AND capable of identifying a fish scale. Had I been given an honest apology and acknowledgement of the fact I would have left the restaurant happy but because the chef dismisses complaints (probably for fear of having to comp a dish) I found the chef's attitude arrogant enough to spoil the experience. If you charge a premium price please learn that there are NO excuses!

• 1 of 5 stars Food
La Mouette R, Owner at La Mouette, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Good morning

I truly apologise for this misunderstanding on behalf of the kitchen and chef - we certainly didn't mean to cause offence - I can assure you as an owner run restaurant we would never want you to have a less than satisfactory experience at La Mouette.

Please accept our most sincere apology and we thank you for your feedback. We will investigate and deal with this matter accordingly as we as owners were not aware that this had happened. Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Kind regards
La Mouette owners
Reykjavik, Iceland
“A seagull like none”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

La Mouette is a small, pleasant Jugend styled restaurant with a lot of character. The food is a journey in exploration. You really have no clue what you will be served, but it all tastes fantastic. I recommend the 67 duck as a main and the gin and tonic desert for afters.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Went Twice In Four Days!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We went to La Mouette during our first night in Cape Town at the advice of our tour guide and ordered the six course meal paired with wine. All I can say is wow! We went again and sat outside and ordered off the standard menu. Once again we were blown away. The food is delicious and the staff is very friendly. We talked with the owner and she was very gracious and pleasant. Take the time to eat at La Mouette, you will be glad you did.

• 5 of 5 stars Food