“Improving all the time” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: French
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Opened in May 2010, La Mouette already established itself as a restaurant of note. We enjoyed a memorable Tasting Menu of 6 courses for R185, every item beautifully presented and delicious. We heartily recommend La Mouette.
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Improving all the time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

There was a long gap between my last and this visit and I can see vast improvement in the quality of the food. The menu is more professional and although I didn't choose the set menu (more later) it sounds like a great way to sample their signature dishes. Having 9 people at a long table is never easy. Not the restaurant's fault because we added some last minute friends to the reservation. The upstairs is more cosy than downstairs, but a little bit cramped. The starters were delicious : lightly battered prawns with pop corn and sweet corn, steak tartar looks authentically French with little quail eggs, fish tartar etc. My main was wonderfully light and yummy - bouillabaisse with lovely prawns, fish and mussels. My friends' lamb was bad! 3 of them had it, and they were all overcooked! Another's fillet of beef looked good and he said it was wonderful too. The service was very professional if a little chaotic when the dishes come to the table - the usual questions 'who is having the lamb?', 'who is having the fish?' and so on, when one has to juggle the dishes across the table....not very elegant. Still, this place is a good choice for a nice 4-some perhaps? *The set menu must be ordered for the entire table.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Cape Town
“As good as fine dining in the winelands!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

OVERALL: The service, setting and food were excellent.

SETTING: Driving down Seapoint main road and passing all the Asian restaurants I was so pleasantly surprised by this eatery. We sat in the courtyard which had a relaxed ambiance and they provided us with complimentary blankets as it was a bit nippy. The inside tables were a bit dated so I would recommend sitting outside.

FOOD: We ordered off the al a carte menu. the menu read so well and I could of ordered anything and everything. i started with the trio of duck (R70) and my husband the Steak Tartar (R60) both were divine with interesting flavor combinations, portion and taste were excellent. For mains I had the tuna, rare, with a divine aoli (R130)i, to die for. My husband had the Karoo lamb (R145) which was a bit like Sunday roast for me but he thoroughly enjoyed it. For dessert I had Strawberry tart combination of tart and sweet, the menu did lack a proper chocolate option which was strange. We brought our own wine with R60 corkage, which is fair. Food was definitely fine dining.

SERVICE: We had the best waiter relaxed helpful but super efficient and not overbearing. He also had an excellent wine knowledge. If i had to complain i would say the food came out of the kitchen too fast!

Highly recommended. Absolutely loved it

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“good but just something missing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I thought La Mouette would be the best of our 3 restaurants we tried in Cape Town but it ended up in 3rd. The building itself is beautiful, the fountain in front and rooms of the old villa really make it a nice setting. We opted for the taster menu as we like to try a few different things. This is the usual when we are in a new place. We found the menu interesting and were excited to try. Bit disappointed with our wine that was chosen for us. It most the most acidic of all the restaurants we visited. The meals were good, good tastes, good sizes, good, but that was all, not amazing like i had hoped. Perhaps i went in with my expectations too high. I would call the food good to v good but not fine dining. Steak was overcooked as rare had no blood, closer to medium. It is a thinner cut so perhaps order your steak one level down if on the taster menu.
Tastes were interesting with some good combos. It has everything it needs to be amazing but for some reason it just failed to take off for us.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Aarhus, Denmark
“50/50”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

We ate here 2 nights and the first night ordered from the a la carte menu, food was great. I got fish and the others steak and lamb it all tasted great. A few nights later we came back and got the tasting menu, i think it was overpriced and underwhelming. Nobody left satisfied at all, not enough substance. Atmosphere kind of weird sometimes, decor dated.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Friendly, relaxed small restaurant with excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We sat outside to enjoy a beautiful evening. The food was innovative and well priced; the wine list was also well priced with some unusual wines. Watch the midges.

• Visited February 2013