“Getting it right” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Opened in May 2010, La Mouette already established itself as a restaurant of note. We enjoyed a memorable Tasting Menu of 6 courses for R185, every item beautifully presented and delicious. We heartily recommend La Mouette.
“Getting it right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We returned to eat at this quaint venue tucked away in a beautioful courtyard now run by different management under this name. The setting was magical: a perfect Cape summer's evening under clear skies in a courtyard with an enormous old fountain reminiscent of something from the continent. Apart from the setting the staff were warm, well trained and welcoming. Simply put the wine selection was great and the food sublime. If that wasn't enough the prices were fantastic considering the quality of the food and care taken with the presentation. Two thumbs up from us! If you want to treat yourself and your significant other to something really romantic, with superb wines and delicious cuisine, La Mouette has got it just right.

St. John's, Canada
“Good Food. Bad Service. Great Building. Bad Location.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

What a place of contradictions!

A great chef with a well constructed menu serving amazing food in a historic building. Whose food is presented by disengaged waitstaff at a pace between courses that borders on starvation.

So what wins out?

In another city not having the front and the back of the house pulling together may be excusable, however, due to the high level of service and gastronomy in Cape Town I can't see diners being so forgiving.

Cost: $58 pp (mid-summer gourmand menu with wine parings)

Tip: Bring a sweater the outdoor seating gets cold.

Sweden
“Delicious food and outstanding service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Having eaten my way through much of Cape Town in the past few years, I can truly say that La Mouette is a gem. We went for the a la carte and it was a good choice. The tuna tartar was fresh and smooth, although a little more spice might have made it even better. The main course bouillabaisse was really tasty. Finishing off with a lemon meringue, we were both truly satisfied. The service is aimable and authentic. On a final note, the outdoor dining experiience is one of the nicest I have had in South Africa. All in all, I can only give La Mouette my strongest recomendation.

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great food makes for a great evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Foody friends recommended la Mouette so off we went. Sea Point is neither the cutest nor the most interesting part of Cape Town. The area around the restaurant is a bit rundown, but ignore this and get in.
The restaurant is housed is a large property which looks like it could have been a private house before. The decor is ok, some bits of it are a bit old fashioned which is a shame as the menu is not.
We went for a la carte. I gather they have a testing menu as well.
The owner (?) manager was very welcoming and friendly – admittedly we went with people who are regulars- Our waiter was very willing but may be a bit new/young. He had a lot of difficulty opening the wine!
The food has lots of different influences, you will find some French dishes, Moroccan , South African, etc So it feels like the chef does not see himself has being restricted in any way shape or form and I guess that’s a good thing.
We started with delicious truffle croquettes followed with a very descent bouillabaisse with local fish. I like that fact that the restaurant is not fancy, the food is not presented in a minimalistic way, it’s a good, wholesome food in a very lovely neighborhood restaurant.
One to definitely put on your Cape Town restaurant list.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I started eating here in August 2012 and have been back 5 times since

Maybe its as we move from winter and into season but it has dropped a little in my view

Each time I go I try the constantly changing tasting menu , and I have noticed the price has climbed but the portion size decreased .... maybe as we move out of season the reverse will happen

The food is great , the menus are on the whole well thought out, the service is pleasant and friendly, timing between courses is great, my only slight niggle is the inverse way the price rose and portions fell (I am using the portion size of the first couple of visits as the baseline, not some arbitrary size I blieve they should be). In the first few visits I left the restaurant feeling just right, not stuffed but not hungry. The last couple of visits I have gone home and started making sandwiches because I am still pretty hungry

Visited January 2013