“Clean but rubbish!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ashanti Lodge Green Point

You added Ashanti Lodge Green Point to your Saves list
Ashanti Lodge Green Point
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   23 Antrim Road, Three Anchor Bay | Green Point, Cape Town Central 8005, South Africa   |
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Clean but rubbish!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Luckily I was only staying for 2 nights, but that was too many! Lets start with the positives - it is within walking distance of most things - beach, shops, bars etc. Rooms are clean and spacious, with a handy sink. Shared bathrooms are a good size. There is a pool and kitchen.
Negatives - Staff! Well to be fair I only came across one, a lady who was so miserable (maybe just because I was female!), every question I asked was answered, but in a way where it was just so much effort for her to speak. I then got locked out of my room for an hour and a half beacuse the combination lock broke - I got an apology, but she could have offerred me a drink at least!! Lounge area was tiny, there was a TV, but I couldn't find the remote! Kitchen was so small, and lots of things falling apart. Bathrooms could have done with soap. As far as hostels go in Cape Town, maybe this is one of the best, but I did not enoy my stay!

Room Tip: Don't choose a dorm!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Hello Sarah
Thank you for your constructive criticism - we may not like it, but you do certainly say it like it is.
We have only had one woman working for us at reception, Aimee, and she is no longer with us. You are not the first person to have mentioned her attitude. I can only apologise, but she did leave at the end of November.
I am not sure which things are falling apart in the kitchen - I wish you had elaborated so that I could attend to them but as far as I am aware everything is working perfectly.
Also - all the bathrooms have soap dispensers mounted on the wall with liquid soap so not sure why you thought you may need soap. We don't provide soap in the communal showers - it is backpackers lodge after all!
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, but most people do!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights - was fine - as you would expect from a backpackers really. Bit odd having a missed dorm, but there you go. Showers were clean and hot, bed was comfortable and its in a great location fro the beach. Perfectly acceptable - would stay again.

Room Tip: Fine, but if youa re bothered, check if you are in a mixed dorm!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hey there!
Thank you for your review. Mixed dormitories are perfectly standard in most backpacker hostels around the country - in fact, we are one of the few that does offer single-sex dorms. I am sorry that there was not one available during your stay but if you had pre-booked I am sure you would have got a female-only dorm. Worth remembering for next time :-)
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This hostel is more like a hotel. I only stayed for one night, but it was great. The hostel was clean and nice. There were private rooms and dorms. I stayed in a 6 female bed dorm, which was more than lovely. The breakfast was pancake mix, make your own. Not much in terms of choice. This hostel was a bit out of the way, but it wasn't that much of a problem. The manager was nice and helped provide tips on what to see etc.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Hi Susan
Thanks very much for your review - I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Most of our guests enjoy the pancake mix and being a backpackers lodge they usually have their own groceries to cook breakfast. We do have a breakfast menu available if you required a more substantial breakfast - just order at reception. I am sorry that you were not informed of that.
Hopefully we will see you back again one day.
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I had lots of doubts when booking this place because of the mixed reviews I read on the tripadvisor. But the place turned out to be a really good one. We had a family room (for 4) which was really big and comfy. It felt freshly painted and was spotlessly clean. The common bathrooms/showers were just across the room and were clean, but we had a washing-basin also in the room which was comfortable. The stuff was always nice and helpful. It is also located on a quiet street, but very near the V&A. We walked to the town centre too (about 30 min. with children) but there are lots of small buses (the informal ones) which get you to the centre in 5 min. with only 6 ZAR/per person. There are numerous restaurants on the Main Road, only 10 min. walking distance. I have no doubts recommending this place to families traveling to CPT.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Hi there!! Thank you so much for your great review of our facilities and I am glad that everything lived up to your expectations.
Maybe we will see you back again one day?
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Lovely clean & fresh place - really good bathrooms & kitchens. Our double room was great super comfy bed. Very safe & secure. Really helpful & friendly reception staff who will help with anything & have great suggestions of where to go. Easy booking online. . About 15 mins walk to V&A.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Hi there!
Thanks so much for your kind review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again one day!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed at Ashanti for 10 days in Cape Town and found the place really clean- great fresh sheets and excellent staff. Felt really safe (2 British girls on our own) and Alard the manager was superb! He suggested the best places to go and tours - of which we could reccomend more the shark cage diving and wine tour. To top it off he even organised an amazing braai (south african bbq) for us, where all we paid for was the food - he cooked and prep'd the whole thing! Would def stay here and for a inexpensive hostel it def is the best in the area!!! Great value for money!

Room Tip: We stayed in a female only dorm which was great, but also swapped between twin rooms- as the dorms a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012 via mobile

Overall this place is great, it is slightly out of town, but only about 20 minutes walk so not too bad, na dis very clean and comfortable. It isn't a party place if that is what you are after, but the great staff make up for this.

There is one major downside, the booking can be quite hard, and as it is first impressions it isn't a good area to be letting Ashanti down. Basically my friend made my booking on my behalf while they were booking theirs. I was booked into a triple at a single rate with no one else there. A couple of days later we were advised that we had been booked, by Ashanti, into the wrong Ashanti, and that only dorms or ensuite rooms were available at Green Point. My friend agreed on the dorm, I reluctantly agreed for an ensuite for double the price (there was a reason I didn't want a dorm), but asked for a discount or free Internet because of the runaround as it was their mistake. The email came back asking "what runaround" and saying that they don't give discounts. Funnily enough I ended up in that triple, and more people I know managed to book single rooms later than we booked them. I still honestly believe they were calling our buff.

It would be nice to make the wifi free, but it isn't expected, but the wifi is throughout the rooms and lounge, and the free pancake mix makes up for it.

Other than that booking issue (which to be honest gave me a really bad first impression) it is amazing, and I would recommend it to anybody, even my luxury seeking father.

• Stayed December 2011
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Green Point, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you for your review.

I am surprised that you found the booking process hard. We do have certain procedures that we follow in order to ensure that all booking details are correct and I can only assume that when you made the reservation, you didn't originally specify that you wanted to stay in our Green Point lodge. Our central reservations team is based at our sister lodge in the Gardens area and as this is also our biggest property, unless one specifies we usually assume the bookings is for there. It is a point that I will take cognisance of in future though and I will instruct the reservations staff to confirm which property a booking is for if none is specified.

However, the booking process aside I am glad to hear that you nevertheless enjoyed your stay with us.

The wi-fi on your own device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc) is free but we do charge guests for the use of our computers as there is obviously costs attached to provide these.

Hopefully we will see you again soon one day ?
Regards,
Lisa

Been to Ashanti Lodge Green Point? Share your experiences!