“the view that sold Cape Town” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Indian
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“the view that sold Cape Town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visted OTR for lunch yesterday. After checking TA reviews before we arrived I was twixt and between. The setting is sublime with a wonderful views over Table Bay and Robben Island. The overall ambience was OK, you dont need that much with great sea views. Overall the food was...OK. I wont say that it will call me back, but the views may! We tried a few seafood dishes, line fish, king klip, seafood curry etc. This is a place to have lunch and enjoy a Sunday overlooking our wonderful coast and sadly there are'nt too many options available. All in all we walked away stirred but not shaken. 3 out of 5 is a fair reflection, you wont be overly impressed or desperately dissappointed. You will be moved because thats what the setting does to you..

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

lancashire
“Not Good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Visited On the Rocks just outside Cape Town on 6th April 2013. our friends had been there for a meal many years ago and wanted to return as it had been fantastic on their first visit. Evidently there had been a wedding celebration, they took our booking so should have been able to provide us with a meal.
Our waitress was unable to uncork the wine without breaking the cork and needed assistance. Our meal order was taken, when served 3 of the meals were luke warm to cold and the 4th meal was served a good 5 minuets after the first 3. 2 Sweets were ordered one of which was a Brownie, it was stodgy and only part was eaten. We were offered coffee but declined. We pointed the problems out to Head Waiter who showed little concern but when the bill came the 2 sweets were taken off the bill. I don`t think we will bother returning, such a let down.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“A hidden treasure of fine dining with a cosmopolitan atmosphere, a cigar bar and killer view.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have the pleasure of often taking clients and guest out from all over the world. My last were from diverse countries like Central Africa and Holland.

From the moment you phone to make a booking, you encounter professionalism. There is no mucking about and you know your table is reserved. Every evening I have been there, even week nights, the restaurant is nearly full, which indicates that locals enjoy the excellent view and menu just as much for reunions and small table parties or the romantic tete a tete.

The tables are laid with crisp white linen and the service is polite, attentive and unobtrusive. Both ladies who served me were excellent. Our starters were snails and a I and prawn salads( which were a meal in themselves) the wine list is good and has extensive labels like Springfield and Diemersfontein.

Our mains were grilled sole on a bed of creamy risotto and hake and chips... Beautifully prepared and served on hot plates. The second meal I had was Springbok carpaccio and snails - also excellent. My partner order the Sq seafood platter and the crayfish tales were slightly overlooked and I mentioned this to the waitress and she produced 2 new tails. No fuss. Needless to say the gentleman was thrilled and said the restaurant was the highlight of his trip and that he's be back.

Overall on the Rocks is just a really special place to treat those you care about as you know that every dish is carefully prepared and served.

I most certainly will be back and I must complement the manager for running a tight ship. He had his eye on everything.

Well done in being a shining star for Cape Town tourism ! Now can I keep the bill box on my next vist?? They excellent!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Beautiful venue, courteous and helpful staff and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

If you want a special place for a special occasion then on the rocks is a great place to visit
Not cheap by RSA standards but worth the extra
The food was delicious and we sat at a table by the window right on the rocks as they say

Visited April 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“my view”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

the service was very poor and the food was overpriced compared to the quality. There was absolutely no atmosphere. the waiter does not give you time to relax and enjoy a glass of wine - they want to take your starter order the moment you sit down and shortly afterwards your main - you feel you have to hurry up and get finished. I will definitely think twice before eating at this restaurant in the near future.

Visited March 2013