“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Cape Town City Centre

You added Hilton Cape Town City Centre to your Saves list
Hilton Cape Town City Centre
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   126 Buitengracht Street, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Special Offer
30% off Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #43 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central
London, England.
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed here twice this month and were very impressed both times. The guys on the door, the concierge, the reception team, the housekeeping and wait staff - they were all friendly, helpful and worked together really well to deliver a great guest experience.

The hotel is conveniently situated in the centre of the City and benefits from a Thrifty/Dollar car rental office in the basement which makes hiring a car here so easy. One day we walked a couple of minutes up the road to take the Hop-On, Hop-Off bus which proved a great way to get reacquainted with Cape Town.

We really enjoyed breakfast at the Hilton and appreciated someone from the wait staff checking on us each day and ensuring we had everything we needed. With our Diamond Hhonors we were fortunate to be allocated beautiful and spacious accommodation and access to the Exec Lounge which although small and a little dark offered delicious homemade banana cake with afternoon tea!

This really was a great stay, made so by the team working here to whom we say a big thank-you for their kindness and exemplary hospitality.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Thai first
Aesch, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Everytime when we visit CPT we overnight at the Hilton City Center. We appreciate the centrally Location with a save carparking. Walking distance to Longstreet and St. Georges Mall. To the Waterfront there is a shuttle every hour until 18.00. The whole staff is very friendly and helpful. We feel welcome and homely. In hot days one can also enjoy the secluded swimming pool.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

The rooms are sizable, location is good and the main restaurant drag is within walking distant and the breakfast selection is excellent however the customer service is poor for a Hilton.
The drivers change the price of journeys pending whom you speak to and also whether you pay cash or on the room. I left my bikini in the bathroom but wasn’t worried as we had 3 further weeks in SA so felt sure I could contact the hotel and retrieve it especially as we were staying in Hiltons along the way but the Cape Town Hilton didn’t even respond to my emails or requests of sending it on.
I'm glad the hotels got better along the trip.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed at the hotel in Dec 2013.The staff of the hotel are courteous and prompt.The hotel arranged for our pick up from the airport and later arranged our travel.The drivers were polite, helpful and reliable.A free shuttle service is available to and fro the waterfront(must place to visit).The rooms are elaborate and well furnished.My room faced the table top and the view was beautiful.The complimentary buffet breakfast had a nice spread but was repetitive.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the table top mountain have a nice view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
MarcSchumacher, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Hilton Cape Town City Centre.

I am pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, especially our spacious and modern rooms and spectacular views. Your kind comments about our team members and services are much appreciated and I have shared them with the rest of my team.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Cape town, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

There is Good service and facility. But considering bad safety of south africa, location. of Hilton cape town is not so good. And viwe of outside window is not so good. So I think autholities of hotel need to care about surrounding of hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our modern facilities and renowned customer service. However, it is with regret that you did not enjoy our location in the vibrant city centre, which is regularly complimented by our guests.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope that my team and I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

My Wife felt so upset she thought sending an email would help highlight the issues so they could be rectified.
the email message explains it all;
On Friday evening (14th March) my husband booked a table for two for your Indian buffet to celebrate our 15th Wedding Anniversary as we had recently spent time in Sri Lanka and had loved the cuisine there and always enjoy Indian dishes.

On arrival, at 7.30pm, nobody seemed sure where we were to sit, but luckily there was a two seater table available for us. We noticed that there were reserved signs elsewhere but obviously not for us!

We ordered a drink and expected to be shown around the buffet and explained to about the various dishes ( signs were much later, hastily placed in front of these dishes) but eventually got up and had a wander along then asked a waiter where we should start. We were shown to the starter table and when I asked what the soup was, the staff member (in a black outfit) lifted up the ladle ,had a look at it and said “vegetable”. OK?

The starters were, however, delicious and we were looking forward to see what the main dishes offered.

I took a small portion each of the rice, daal, mango chicken, lamb korma and lamb vindaloo. It all looked delicious, but on first mouthful, I realised it was hardly warm. I asked the waiter if he could heat it for me in a microwave (not ideal ,but I couldn’t think of any other way) which he did. My husband asked if the warmers had been switched on and a staff member in a chef’s hat went behind the main buffet table and seemed to be adjusting something and plugging things in.

I was given my plate back and I proceeded to eat my ,now warm, food. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. The korma was like a lamb stew, with no Indian flavours and even the vindaloo which is supposed to be fiery was bland. The only dish with any real taste was a tandoori style chicken which was supposed to be eaten with the starters. This was delicious and saved the day.

On to the deserts. The cardomon crème brulee looked lovely and I love chai so was very excited to taste the chai rice pudding. We asked what we should have the rice pudding in and were told a soup bowl, but after waiting for one which never materialised, we had our rice pudding on a plate! It was as delicious as I had hoped. On to the crème brulee, which had no crust, but had a beautiful texture. Unfortunately , that’s where the positives end. It had absolutely no taste. My husband even said that if he were in a “blind tasting” he would not have had any idea what he was eating.

We also had to constantly ask for plates and cutlery and the replenishing of bain maries which were not always on the buffet tables. Staff seemed to walk past, oblivious to requirements.

As friendly as the staff were, they did not seem prepared or trained for a busy evening and we certainly did not receive the service and quality one would expect from a Hilton Hotel.

Instead of having champagne and possibly booking a room for the night as we had planned, we stayed with light beer and left within an hour and a half of arriving.

The very reason for our booking was from an expectation of authentic quality food and excellent service which the Hilton brand claims. This we did not experience.

Being so disappointed I felt compelled to inform you of our situation in the hopes that it help correct the experience for future diners.

this email was sent on Monday 17th - 4 DAYS LATER - not even a "thanks for the mail" nothing.

This place is an absolute joke - friendly enough people with no clue how to run a hotel.
Don't be fooled by the international chain name, this one is an embarrasment, for them as well as me, when I think that tourists are booking in daily expecting the acclaimed standards and getting a circus! This is embarassing for me as a Capetonian.
You have been warned.
Z

Room Tip: didn't get to most of the amenities as we just wanted to get the hell out of there fast.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
MarcSchumacher, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience at our property. I understand our Food & Beverage Manager has also contacted you directly via email.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused due to shortcomings in service you experienced, especially on this special occasion.

Please be assured that your experience certainly does not reflect the high level of service and gastronomy we strive to offer, nevertheless your report is seen in a serious light and has been reviewed and addressed with the relevant managers and supervisors in order to avoid this from happening in the future.

We always endeavor to offer the highest level of service and it would appear that this time we failed to meet your expectations.

Once again, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused and I do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed here for 9 days and would highly recommend this hotel to any travellers in Cape Town. The professionalism from every member of staff I encounter was second to none. The rooms are large and luxurious – ask for a room facing table mountain as the views are amazing. The breakfast was always fresh and plentiful with very enthusiastic staff. The concierge staff were incredibly helpful and smiley which was a pleasure.
The swimming pool is small but helps in the heat! One tip of advice is sunbath to the right hand side of it as when the sun moves round the left is covered by shade. The gym contained very modern equipment and whilst small it was more than sufficient. The steam and sauna are also small.
The hotel has a very personal feel considering it’s a chain and I would without doubt recommend this hotel. Thanks guys for an epic stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Table mountain!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review on TripAdvisor.

Your positive comments about our location and facilities are much appreciated and I am glad you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

It is particularly warming to receive such great compliments for our team members and I have shared your report proudly with my management colleagues and the whole hotel team.

Thank you for recommending Hilton Cape Town City Centre and I hope that my team and I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another “epic” stay in the very near future.

Marc O. Schumacher

Been to Hilton Cape Town City Centre? Share your experiences!