“Complete Disappointment” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Cape Town City Centre

Save Saved
You added Hilton Cape Town City Centre to your Saves list
Hilton Cape Town City Centre
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   126 Buitengracht Street, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale From ZAR 1775
Ranked #40 of 101 hotels in Cape Town Central
Manchester
“Complete Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I went to Cape Town expecting a 5 star hotel - instead it was more like a 2 star hotel. I arrived and had to haul my own luggage into the hotel - staff stood looking at me and did not help. I had asked for an early check in but this was not available so I went in the Hotel Shuttle to the V and A waterfront - I waited for the shuttle to come back and pick me up at the scheduled time (15 minutes past the hour) but on two consecutive hours it did not turn up.

My room was noisy, had a connecting door to another room and I could hear everything that went on in the room next door (all night long). Housekeeping was satisfactory, breakfast was poor and expensive for what I got - opted to eat out for a decent selection / price. There is a "hubbly bubbly" bar on the first floor - odd finding in South Africa? There are much better hotels for the money in Cape Town - I would not go back

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

493 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Thai first
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

Lovely hotel good location stayed 4 nights and enjoyed the pool and spa after a long day sightseeing. The staff were very helpful and friendly the breakfast was excellent and set us up for the day. Our bedroom was facing the pool and over the bar but as we was on the 5th floor the noise did'nt affect us but it may have done if we were on a lower floor. The bedrooms were huge and beautiful bathrooms. The hotel was very convienant for the hop on and hop off bus tours which everyone seems to use and fully reccomend them as well. Did'nt see the need to pay extra for the executive lounge so have no comment on that nor did we use the room service. One tip is make sure you put all your valuables in the safe I left a gold necklace and bracelet in my hand luggage and did'nt notice they were missing till I returned home. The mistake was mine and it was my responsibility to make full use of the safe that the hotel provided. It would'nt put me of staying there again I just would be more carefull.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor. The pool side was quiet when the bar closed which was'nt late. The front...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Cape Town City Centre. I hope you had a most memorable stay in Cape Town.

It is wonderful to know that you could enjoy the sparkling, cool swimming pool after a hot day out! The Hop on Off bus is a treat not to be missed and I am glad that you enjoyed the site seeing.

Your comments regarding our friendly staff will be relayed to my team as well as compliments to our Executive Chef.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We had a nice stay and would suggest it to anyone that likes the Hilton standard. The executive lounge left much to be desired. Slow service, cold snacks that were to be hot, etc. Not that big of a deal. You are only a few minutes from the water front ($5 taxi ride) and there are tons of great places to eat there. Pool is small and not real good for kids. We had rooms on the pool side and they had a party there that night, so we had to listen to that until around midnight.

Room Tip: ask for a room that isn't pool side, they rent it our for groups and it gets loud at night.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest

I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed the convenient location of our property and restaurants in the area.

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for the unsatisfactory service and food quality experienced in the Executive Lounge. Your comments are viewed in a very serious light and the relevant Head of Department will address the matter accordingly.

Your feedback regarding poolside events is appreciated and will be taken into consideration when making future bookings.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

The location of this hotel is very convenient. It is walking distance from museums and long street (which has tons of bars and restaurants). The staff is very friendly and attentive and the concierge team was very helpful in planning our tours. The room service was prompt and this hotel serves some good food. I really enjoyed their lamb burger. There is a complimentary shuttle going to the waterfront during the day which really helped in planning our day. They also offer paid shuttle service after hours and to and from the airport. The only issue I had was that the Wi-Fi in my room wasn't that great but no complains there. If I have a chance to visit captetown again I will stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was exactly how they show in the pictures. We had the view of table mountain so it is well...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

I am delighted that you enjoyed your hotel room with view of Table Mountain and the convenient location of our property.

Your compliments regarding our delicious food and friendly service is greatly appreciated and have been relayed to my team members.

Please be advised that we are currently changing our Internet Service provider and will be able to offer a more efficient, faster service during your next stay.

My team and I are thrilled that you will visit us again and look forward to welcome you back.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

This is a very basic business hotel. Although I have not seen the better rooms, our standard room was nothing special: clean but nothing more, it was not inviting to stay in for longer than necessary. The entrance and lobby also do not have the 'Hilton feel': nothing special. I have stayed in other Hilton hotels around the world with a lot more allure and luxury.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

I appreciate your positive comments regarding the room cleanliness and do hope you had a pleasant stay with us. Your feedback is appreciated and will be taken into consideration for future development of the hotel.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Markus Fritz
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this property for three nights last week and were genuinely curious to see exactly what we were going to get after reading many of the reviews here on TripAdvisor.

As many reviewers have noted, the location simply can't be beat. It rests withing walking distance of Long Street and Green Market Square, and they offer shuttle service (which we did not use, so I don't know details) to the V&A Waterfront. For the record, it is within walking distance to Table Mountain as well if you are feeling up to it...

Regardless of the staff group we spoke with (reception, concierge, executive lounge), the team was friendly, knowledgeable and provided quick recommendations or solutions to the questions at hand.

The decor of the hotel is very modern as others have noted, and they have done a great job converting this hotel into a Hilton property. The rooms are a good size and are crisp and clean. The only thing we felt that would have made it better was a clock we could use other than the one located on the phone (we forgot to bring our travel clock with us).

This hotel has an executive lounge where we enjoyed breakfast and an evening cocktail each day. Breakfast offered a concise assortment of items to choose from (breads, cheeses, assorted pastries, some hot food) which were sufficient. The staff did a good job replenishing the food as the vultures (us included) did our best to wipe them out. In the evenings, they had a good offering as well and provided a nice selection of beverages. My only note here is that the tables did not seem to get bussed quickly when people left - not a big deal, but could be better.

One last benefit of this location is that they have a Thrifty car rental location in the hotel. We had booked with Thrifty before leaving for our trip and this location did NOT show up as an option for us in Expedia. If you are getting a car - try this spot as it will save you a trip to the Airport.

Overall, if you are a frequent Hilton patron, this hotel will 'fit' what you would expect from a standard Hilton property. If you are new to the chain, I would say that they are doing a great job representing the Hilton Brand, and you will do well to put this hotel on your consideration list. If you are new to Cape Town/Africa, this is a great spot to choose as you will have an oasis from which to work.

Room Tip: If you are Hilton Honors with status, they have two floors of 'executive' rooms which includ...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Cape Town Hilton City Centre.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the ideal location and modern decor of your hotel room.

Your positive feedback regarding our breakfast selection is appreciated and your compliments regarding the helpful staff will be relayed to my team.

I am thrilled that you will choose the Hilton Cape Town City Centre for future stays and I look forward to welcome you back.

Yours Sincerely
Markus Fritz
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Well positioned in the city centre and it is about 100m from the tour bus stop. The rooms are the usual Hilton standard and they operate a shuttle service to the V&A which is free until 6 pm then costs 50 Rand. The service however is not at the normal Hilton standard. We returned after a hard day on the tourist trail and the room had not been done. Had to 'phone housekeeping and after discussion they sent someone to fix the problem which was inconvenient. The following day both our keycards went blank and the receptionist blamed us for having them too near some electronic gadget and grumbled continuously whilst replacing them. Not a positive experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
MarkusFritz, General Manager at Hilton Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for posting your comments relevant to your stay at The Hilton Cape Town City Centre.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed the central location of our hotel.

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced with regards to your room not being serviced to Hilton standards, as well as poor service received from the Front Desk.

Please be assured that incidents such as these are certainly not in keeping with the high standards we strive to maintain. We do value your feedback and will take the necessary steps to prevent this from happening again.

Hoping to welcome you back in the near future.

Compliments of the Season.

Been to Hilton Cape Town City Centre? Share your experiences!