“Great quality food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Meloncino – Ristorante, Bar, Pizzeria ItalianoExperience authentic Italian cuisine in Cape TownMeloncino restaurant opened at the V&A Waterfront, bringing a genuine Italian flavour to our shores. The modern and stylish décor create an eclectic European vibe where one can sip cocktails and snack on canapés, nuts and olives. As someone suggested, “Close your eyes and you could be in Rome.” Open your eyes and you face the magnificent Table Mountain, as seen from the comfort of one of Meloncino’s white sofas. Expect home-made pasta with authentic Italian sauces, steaks and seafood from their charcoal grill, traditional wood-fired pizza and an extensive menu to choose from. In order to stay faithful to the original, various ingredients like cheese, coffee and wine are imported from Italy. Buon appetito!
East Sussex, United Kingdom
“Great quality food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We thought the starters of calamari and seafood resotto were first class, infact the calamari was excellent, the mains of spaghetti bolognese and chicken stuffed with asparagus was also very well done. Friendly staff in a modern waterfront location.
Slight downer were the lack of washroom facilities (refurbishment works) which involved a trek to another facility and a drop in standard when it came to a desert a panacotta which was tasteless.
Over all the food is of a very good standard delicious in fact.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
cinzann0capet0wn, Owner at Meloncino, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Stingclive

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review on Trip Advisor and for the compliments on the starters and mains. Our Bolognese is one of our signature pastas that we have come famous for. I will pass on the feedback to all staff involved from the kitchen to the waiters. I am disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy our panna cotta. I will personally investigate and rectify any issues there is. Thank you for giving us this feedback as without it we cannot improve where is needed. I do apologise profusely regarding the inconvenience and the toilet refurbishment. It will be completed in one week and I assure you it will be very special. Thank you once again for the feedback and I do hope to see you in the near future.

Co-owner

Tarkwa, Western, Ghana
“Qaulity and good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I just want to tell you that my wife and I had a wonderful time at Meloncino. We were treated like royalty by all the staff. The menu was explained to us and the food was excellent plus. We will for sure come and visit Meloncino again when we are in Cape Town. The view outside looking over the harbor and Table Mounting are breath taking.Thank you, your staff and all the people involve in preparing the delicious drinks and food very much. According to me, Meloncino are the best restaurant with the most heart warming staff and the best food so far. Keep on doing such good service. Thanks

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
California
“Food is decent but took too long.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We went here for dinner based on the recommendation by the staff at V&A information booth. It was a busy Thur night with a few large groups of more than 10 people. Not sure if this was the reason but our food took a long time to arrive. The waiter kept telling us our food is ready and will be coming soon which was not true. No one apologized for taking so long with our food. He also forgot our order of a side spinach which turned out to be a good thing since our mains came so late. I had to forego dessert as it was getting late. Advice not to sit outdoors (cant see the view at night anyway) as I saw birds poop dropping within a foot of some diners outside during their meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
cinzann0capet0wn, Owner at Meloncino, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Nonya

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review on Trip advisor based on your experience at Meloncino. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and you had a disappointing experience. I can only apologise regarding the waiter forgetting to bring your spinach. He has been addressed and will be put through further training to ensure this will not happen again. I managed to check the camera footage and there was a 25 minute wait from when your bread arrived at your table till your mains arrived. Please note that all our food in made from scratch and nothing is pre-made. It was a fairly busy night due to all our large group bookings and as a result there was a 25 minute wait. I do apologise once again for this. All your feedback will be addressed and I thank you once again for providing us with this feedback as without it we cannot improve and make sure we receive maximum customer satisfaction.

Thank you once again for taking the time out and I am deeply sorry. I do hope you give us a second chance in order to redeem ourselves on your next visit to South Africa.

Co-owner
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Dirty plates,poor quality of food,not worth the 'Italian flag'!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Having frequented Meloncino Restaurant as a regular guest for the past few years,my recent visit turned out to be disastrous.Although my kids love the pizzas and the quality of service from the waiters is commendable,the food quality has rapidly deteriorated over the years.A welcome message on their tattered menus claims that they boast of 3 imported Italian chefs but this is rather not true as i have come to discover.Having returned my steak,the Tagliatta Balsamico,to be grilled more to the medim-well side it came back overdone and Mike the manager expressed no remorse at all when i complained to him.Instead i could see him barking with fury at the poor waiter seemingly blaming him for the problem which i feel unsettled the young waiter.We were offered desserts on the house which my wife boycotted since she overhead the manager say to the waiter that he would pay for the complementary desserts.Unbelievable!
The other thing that made us very uncomfortable was the young owner who was sitting at the bar and he kept on yelling at the waiters and barmen.Seriously in this day and age if you want be up there with the best you wouldn't want to harrass staff members in front of your clients.

Again whoever is making food in their kitchen is not well qualified or cultured to do so.The plates come out poorly garnished and dirty.My wife was given a different type of plate even though we both ordered similar meals.The place is now very expensive especially for the local folk.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
cinzann0capet0wn, Owner at Meloncino, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Christian P

Thank you for taking the time and expressing your experience at Meloncino on Trip Advisor. I am extremely disappointed to hear that your experience was not to your satisfaction. I am terribly sorry and can only apologise profusely. As you know from your previous experiences, we maintain a high standard and this was not achieved at your last visit. Please will you be so kind and provide me with your email address in order for me to obtain further information regarding your experience. This will assist me in my investigation as to what happened. Please contact me at paolo@meloncino.co.za. Thank you once again for this feedback as without this constant feedback we cannot improve in areas that need improving.

Thank you once again and I look forward in hearing from you.

Co-owner.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Great italian friendly restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I went several times since 2009. The staff is excelent, and alberto is an excelent host. Solo or with friends the place is great. Excelent view, perfect dinner in summer looking at the sunset. I've enjoy everithing: pizzas, pasta alfredo, pasta calamari, etc!

• Visited December 2012