“Disgraceful!!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Meloncino – Ristorante, Bar, Pizzeria ItalianoExperience authentic Italian cuisine in Cape TownMeloncino restaurant opened at the V&A Waterfront, bringing a genuine Italian flavour to our shores. The modern and stylish décor create an eclectic European vibe where one can sip cocktails and snack on canapés, nuts and olives. As someone suggested, “Close your eyes and you could be in Rome.” Open your eyes and you face the magnificent Table Mountain, as seen from the comfort of one of Meloncino’s white sofas. Expect home-made pasta with authentic Italian sauces, steaks and seafood from their charcoal grill, traditional wood-fired pizza and an extensive menu to choose from. In order to stay faithful to the original, various ingredients like cheese, coffee and wine are imported from Italy. Buon appetito!
“Disgraceful!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

For a purportedly "Italian" restaurant... I have had better pasta at a cheap franchise, I was so looking forward to my Tortiloni... But it was like rubber, and my boyfriends gnocchi Gorgonzola was not much better... Add to that the fact that the cold meat platter we ordered as a starter had barely a few slivers on it... And one slice of Coppa... It is becoming clear that this "chain" of restaurants is all "yuck" and overpriced! Shame on you!

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
cinzann0capet0wn, Owner at Meloncino, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Kathrinethegreat

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review on Trip advisor.I am so sorry to hear that your experience was a disappointing one. The starter you shared is an individual portion and not a sharing starter. I can only apologise that the waiter never brought this to your attention and I will investigate further to prevent this from happening again. Thank you for bringing to the managers attention regarding the toughness of your pasta. I am disappointed to hear that we were unable to turn the situation around as we never charged you for the pasta dish and offered you complimentary desert.

Nevertheless thank you once again for providing feedback as it is always good to receive both positive and negative feedback. We would love to redeem ourselves to you.

Please email me directly at info@meloncino.co.za to discuss further.

Kind regards
Paolo Carrara
Co-owner

“Needs a 10 out of 10 rating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Its our 10th anniversary and we would have never thought of walking into meloncino restuarant. Thank you so much for an awesome meal and good service. You guys have a good thing going. For a time it was just me and my husband and it was so nice to just have the quite time alone. Thanks again

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Real Italian Cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Sitting upstairs, on the deck overlooking the harbour at night with the lights dimmed and the flicker of the candle on the table, sets the scene for a romantic night out at the V&A. The service is very good and the wines served compliment the menu. I had a pasta salmone and the lady had a seafood type pizza(the name of which eludes me now) it has the hallmarks of great Italian eatery. Halfway through dinner there was even a couple of tenors from the townships who came to serenade the ladies! wonderfull trio of ice-cream finished off the meal.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Santa Cruz, Chile
“Fine Pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

nice italian restaurant! It was a good pizza but I know I have had better ones for more affordable prices.. the restaurant has a beautiful view and great service ...

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Milan, Italy
“Great Food and nice place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We do try to avoid italian restaurants abroad, but our young daugther (4years old) was looking for a pizza. We finally found the Meloncino, in the V&A waterfront. Be careful you need to look for it, since it is only reachable from the external balcony at the V&A waterfront mall.
While the pizza was just good, my husband and myself were amazed by the quality of the food. Bravo!! We have travelled a lot and this is a restaurant on the high end in terms of quality. The setting is nice, but the FOOD is GREAT! The waiters were very kind.

• Visited March 2013