I am almost hesitant to write this positive review of The Hyde as I'm afraid Cape Towns best kept secret will no longer be a secret!
The place is fantastic. With so many small properties with poor service and facilities labelling themselves as 'boutique' it is difficult to sift out the truly superb independent/small/boutique hotels. And that is what The Hyde is - superb.
Location: the location was perfect for us. The hotel is in Sea Point which has the City Centre and 'waterfront' areas in ten minutes drive to the right and the chic Camps Bay and Clifton Beaches ten minutes to the left. The hotel is one block back from the seaside and had some views (we were on level 5). Literally 5-10minutes walk up the road is a huge range of shops, restaurants and supermarkets. The area was lovely and quiet at night and we had undisturbed sleep, the only thing waking us in the morning was the sound of seagulls. There is secure basement car parking (free) and the hotel operates a shuttle to the waterfront in the morning and evening peaks. Outside those times there were plenty of public buses going past to either the city centre or the beaches.
The hotel: Perfectly sized and formed. It comprises six floors with reception, lounge, gym, bar and restaurant on the main floor and five floors of accommodation above. The pool and sun deck is on the roof and while the pool was small it was always fairly quiet up there.
The room: In a word, fantastic. There were three room categories: studio, suite and deluxe suite. We were booking in a deluxe suite but traded it for a suite to nab a room on a higher floor (room 506). Apparently the three category of rooms are more or less the same size with just minimal differences. The rooms were great. I could easily stay a month in one (we stayed six nights). It was so refreshing to actually get exactly what you've seen in the photographs on the hotels website. The room was spacious, the kitchen was fantastic and well equipped. Everything modern and clean. Really couldn't ask for more.
Staff & service: This is the strongest link of The Hyde. The major hotel chains should all send their staff to The Hyde to be trained. From the initial welcome and check in right through to the farewell and checkout the service was flawless. From literally every single staff member I encountered. They seem to have the balance between friendly, relaxed and informal - yet at all times very professional and efficient bang on. While every staff member we encountered deserves recognition, 'Cheryl' on reception deserves a stand out mention. She was the most genuine, friendly, cheery receptionist we have ever encountered in a hotel - yet at the same time always efficient, friendly and knowledgable. I'm not sure if the hotel has special brainwashing training to make the staff the way they are or whether they just happen to select genuine people that enjoy their work but it is what made our stay most memorable.
Food & drink: breakfast was included in our rate and was a great way to start each day. It wasn't an extravagant spread but more than even a fussy eater could ask for. Fresh fruit, cereals, breads and croissant, cheeses and cold cuts. Also hot selections including eggs and bacon. Again attended to by staff that greeted us each morning like old friends. We only had another meal once and that was room service. Fillet steak. It was cooked to perfection and delivered hot. And no more expensive than outside the hotel.
Conclusion: The Hyde is a wonderful place to stay in a wonderful city. Without hesitation when we return to Cape Town again (and we will) we will make The Hyde our first choice. It offers exceptional value, and first rate accommodations and service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hyde All-Suite Hotel Situated in the cosmopolitan area of Sea Point, The Hyde Luxury All Suite Hotel comprises of 36 swanky Luxury Suites and is Cape Town’s new hot spot for production crews, conferencing clients, and business or leisure travelers. Catering specifically to these discerning markets, the Hyde delivers the small things that make the big differences – with a style all of its own. The Hyde is an independently owned and operated boutique hotel of the highest standard with a commitment to excellent service and sophisticated comfort being the pledge of its dedicated, passionate owners and management team, ably assisted by their handpicked support staff. This philosophy of accessibility, extra care and attention to detail converts our guests into friends. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com and Agoda so you can book your The Hyde All-Suite Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Hyde All Hotel Sea Point
- The Hyde All-Suite Hotel Cape Town, South Africa