“Loving this restaurant - never fails to satisfy” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Bistro
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Casual and informal bistro in Gardens, Cape Town with an a great little bar, "The Snug".
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Loving this restaurant - never fails to satisfy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We have eaten at Societi Bistro a few times recently and they never fail to impress
The restaurant is in an old house in the centre of cape Town - near the Mount Nelson, and conveniently almost next door to one of our favourite places - the the Labia cinema.
The decor, the service, the food - all top class. Very reasonable prices. I think its great that every wine on the wine list you can order by the glass so if you are driving you can have one small 125ml glass of wine or if you can try a variety of wines or a different one for each course perhaps - even the "champagne" you can buy by the glass
we seem to keep ordering the fillet steak in a peppercorn sauce with thick home cut fries and spinach. I don't really like pepper sauces, but for some reason this one is amazing
We have also had the linefish in the past, and the seasonal salad and of course the mushroom risotto is always a favourite
They have a special on a Monday and Tuesday where for R90 (about $10) you can have a pasta meal for two AND two tickets to see a movie at The Labia - brilliant deal - got to be one of the best is Cape Town

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Brilliant Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

This was a great surprise. The food is fantastic, only topped by the service and atmosphere. Good wine list. The waiter was so professional with wonderful suggestions. Really a must.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hermanus, South Africa
“Excellent pre-theatre/opera meeting place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We went there for an early supper one chilly evening before going to the opera. It has a great atmosphere, with cosy fireplaces. Good service, good food.

Visited April 2013
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Dessert a must”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We have been there a couple of times already, and the food is always great. But let me tell you about their dessert….they make the best Cheesecake and Chocolate tart that I have come across – and believe me I have tasted a LOT. It is DELICIOUS, out of this world, a MUST. Skip starters and mains and go straight to pudding! But be warned, as soon as you have tasted it, it will become a craving!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Bad service and tasteless food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have driven past the Kloof Street location of this restaurant so many times and it always looks so charming and pretty with the outside courtyard and quaint decor.

My friend decided to have her birthday dinner there, it was a big group of us, 20 or so and I did take this number into consideration for this review.

Our waitress although very friendly, was shockingly bad - took ages to take orders, drinks and food were brought through all over the place, not together or in any kind of order, none of us ate at the same time, some of us never received the drinks we ordered etc - it was unacceptable since they weren't even fully booked.

The food was another big disappointment. The prices are high so you expect the food to be top shelf - this was not the case. Everyone complained that the food was bland, I had the spaghetti lemone which was basic grocery store pasta (not hand made or fresh) with a half a lemon squeezed out over it - or at least that's what it tasted like - dry and boring. I had to ask for salt, pepper and Parmesan to try and spice it up. Many of my friends had the ostrich burger which was the size of a slider, so small and completely over priced.

I will never go back there and since telling people of my experience I have heard many similar stories.

• Visited April 2013