“Worst hotel in Cape-Town” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Daddy Hotel

You added Grand Daddy Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Daddy Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38 Long Street | Western Cape, Cape Town Central 8000, South Africa (City Bowl)   |
Ranked #69 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Tzaneen
“Worst hotel in Cape-Town”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We made a big mistake to book at the Grand Daddy. ( Not sure what is so grand......). The whole hotel looks fabulous on the internet but is actually a run down place. it can certainly do with a new paint job. The trailer park upstairs is also just a trap. It is a smoking and drinking spot. Period, nothing else. We stayed over on a Sunday and we were not informed that the on-site restaurant was not open, in fact not even the roof-top bar was open.

There was also no parking available and i had to park in an shopping mall parkade which is about two blocks away from the hotel.( and had to pay it ) Next morning the included breakfast was also a big let-down. Sorry boys , you wont see me again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bryony S, General Manager at Grand Daddy Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that your experience at the Grand Daddy Hotel did not live up to your expectations. We are a city hotel and do not have on-site parking which is why we have negotiated a special rate, which we pass on directly to our guests, with the parkade one block away from us. You will find that many city center hotels do indeed charge for parking.

The Skybar is open to the public and we do get a lot of outside visitors – especially on a on Friday when we feature live music on the rooftop - a great opportunity for our guests to meet with other local and international visitors. The bar and L’Apero are both closed on a Sunday, this information is stated in the hotel confirmation as well as on our website and I do apologize if you were not made aware of this. There are many fabulous restaurants in the area and our front desk staff are willing to recommend something to suit all tastes, as well as make a booking if you require them to.

We offer both a buffet/continental breakfast and a cooked breakfast to all our hotel guests, I apologize if the waiter did not make you aware of this – as a result we have put a “table talker” on the buffet advising guests of what is available in the mornings, I am sorry you felt what we offered was not adequate.

Thank you again for your feedback, we have used it constructively to improve our service and standards.

Bryony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Khartoum, Sudan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

It's a good hotel, great service and the rooms are totally fine. The location is probably the best thing with the hotel, it is very central and you can basically walk everywhere in town.

One annoying thing was that the door to our room was a bit loose and kept on making noises at night. Another annoying thing was the breakfast. One day we came down at 9 and then they had already removed the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review that you posted on Trip Advisor regarding your stay.

I must agree with you that we have an awesome location, centrally located to explore Cape Town on foot and I am so glad that you were able to appreciate what our beautiful city has to offer.

I do hope that once reported to the front desk, the door to your room was fixed!

We offer breakfast every morning from 06h30 - 11h00 on weekdays and 07h30 - 11h30 on weekends. I cannot explain why the buffet was removed early on one of the days. I can assure you however that this has not and will not happen again.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you at the Grand Daddy Hotel again!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here end of October, had a fabulous time. Rooms lovely, staff friendly and helpful, amazing breakfast each day to set us up for a day of exploring!

some people mentioned that it could be noisy due to location - no complaints from me and didn't notice anything.

Great rooftop bar...a stone's throw from one of the bus stops for the open top bus too!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate all the positive feedback and I am delighted you enjoyed your time in Cape Town.

We look forward to welcoming you back again sometime!

Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

It's a good hotel with some really nice features and very friendly staff but they need to find a way to make their game more consistent.
Bed was good and so were the other room features. Room was clean but they forgot twice to replace towels in the bathroom. The old ones gone, no new ones, unpleasant when you come back at midnight.
Rooms towards the street too noisy as the windows, balcony doors are simple glass and Long Street is busy.
The location is great as it is busy and safe until late night but the drawback is the noise the hotel allows to enter the room.
The have live music on certain days and "hip" groups in their meeting rooms until late and these groups we too noisy for my liking as the crowd means to chat in front of guest rooms.

Verdict... I did not regret to stay there but would think twice when coming back to Cape Town. There are nicer places to get some rest.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The hotel has some cool design touches and was a good choice for a couple of nights. We stayed in the standard room and found it perfectly adequate. The bed was very comfortable and enjoyed the wine gums at turndown! The bathroom products were gorgeous, and the shower was good. We popped up to see the trailer park, not my cup of tea but I'm sure some people find it fun. There is a bar up on the roof, and a bar on the 1st floor. We didn't stay in either of them but they both looked like nice places to hang out. The location is popular with backpackers and we struggled to find any quality places to eat, as they all cater to the student crowd which isn't really my scene. It was noisy at night, but not massively so, more like bottles in the street, people shouting etc, nothing you wouldn't get in any large city at night. The best thing was the breakfast which was delicious. One thing that didn't seem to make sense is the limited wireless access; why not just open wireless to guests rather than having them have to get a voucher from reception each day? Despite what it says on the website, I didn't find it really funky, it looked as if it needs a bit of a face lift to bring it up to a 4 star luxury standard. The staff were all lovely and friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bryony S, General Manager at Grand Daddy Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your lovely, honest and thorough review of your stay with us in October. We appreciate your feedback.
I am delighted to read that you loved the breakfast. We believe it is the most important meal of the day and it is very important that our guests head out to explore our beautiful city with plenty of energy! I have to agree that our beds are very comfortable and we also love the Beautiful Earth bathroom products that are proudly South African products.
Wireless Internet is still relatively expensive in Cape Town (but this should be changing soon) and the voucher system is the system that works best for us for the time being.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the Grand Daddy and Cape Town in the near future.
Royal Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Ideally located on trendy/busy long street. Rooms were adequate and included breakfast was very nice. Front desk staff was very helpful with arranging daytrips and dinner reservations. Get your rates in writing and in your currency since there seems to be some " leeway" in what they quote vs what they charge. If you haven't done your homework, the hotel hosts parties on the roof on weekends so there is pounding music on Friday and Saturday nights until 2 am so don't expect to sleep before that. The rooftop bar and trailer park are a very cool sight. Ask the front desk and they will give you a tour of all the trailers that are empty, each one has a unique interior.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your stay. We appreciate all your feedback and the opportunity to constantly improve.
I was very pleased to read that the staff were helpful and that you had the opportunity to have a look at our unique airstream trailers.
Regarding the rate, I believe you spoke to our reception manager when you extended your stay with us and there was a misunderstanding when he quoted in South African Rands and you thought it was Dollars. We work on set rates which do not fluctuate as this makes it easier for our Front Desk staff to help guests who want to extend or deal with walk in guests. I would also like to note that we did honor the rate that you understood to have been quoted.
We do host events at the hotel on some Friday and Saturday nights however we have a very strict policy about the music being turned down at 12am and it must be off by 1am and should the Manager on Duty receive a complaint prior to this time then the music will be turned down straight away. Our guests always come first.
Foz do Iguacu, PR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I will confess that I arrived at the hotel late and night and tired, my initial view of the area did dismay me. I am glad I stayed 4 nights as my initial perception was wrong as the following morning I realised how great a hotel and location this was.

The hotel staff are very polite, this includes the reception who were always willing to help. As well as the restaurant, bar staff and cleaning / service staff. My colleague and I had rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor, I would recommend the 3rd floor if you are staying the weekend. The hotel has some lively bars and the daddy cool lounge plays loud and late.

The rooms were clean, large and well appointed. The beds very comfortable and the aircon was good. The bathroom was clean, the shower OK but some more power would be nice. My only negative on the bathroom is that no hand soap was provided (in any room as far I can tell) which is very surprising as the normal shampoo / body lotion etc was provided. Purely on healthcare grounds I'd expect hand soap, this is the first time I have ever been to a hotel that doesn't supply it.

Internet (wireless) is available and you can get free vouchers daily from reception (max 50Mb per day) otherwise you need to pay for access. There are also a couple of iMacs available in reception to use which gives you free access.

The rooftop bar is nice and snug, you are also close to the airstream campers on the roof. Great to see them and I'd probably of stayed in them if I was in my 20's. However I can imagine they can be quite noisy and they do look cramped compared to my good sized room.

Security is good at the hotel, staff are generally around all of the time and there seems a good array of CCTV camera's around.

The room has a room safe, good wardrobe space, tea and coffee facilities and a nice TV.

There is a "fridge" but no mini-bar, you need to stock it yourself.

The local area is very good for bars / restaurants / clubs of all sorts, expect to meet some interesting night life as you are in the main tourist strip. Although we felt safe in the neighbourhood, standard safety precautions (don't show it, don't flaunt it and if your are drunk, get a taxi!)

There was always a taxi outside the hotel which made travel easy, we were going to hire a car but there wasn't a need as taxis are cost effective.

Room Tip: If possible get a room on the 3rd floor at the back of the hotel if you like quiet. The 2nd floor i...