“Nice try but has lots of space for improvement” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Daddy Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38 Long Street, Cape Town Central 8000, South Africa   |
Ranked #72 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Bangkok, Thailand
“Nice try but has lots of space for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

It's a good hotel with some really nice features and very friendly staff but they need to find a way to make their game more consistent.
Bed was good and so were the other room features. Room was clean but they forgot twice to replace towels in the bathroom. The old ones gone, no new ones, unpleasant when you come back at midnight.
Rooms towards the street too noisy as the windows, balcony doors are simple glass and Long Street is busy.
The location is great as it is busy and safe until late night but the drawback is the noise the hotel allows to enter the room.
The have live music on certain days and "hip" groups in their meeting rooms until late and these groups we too noisy for my liking as the crowd means to chat in front of guest rooms.

Verdict... I did not regret to stay there but would think twice when coming back to Cape Town. There are nicer places to get some rest.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The hotel has some cool design touches and was a good choice for a couple of nights. We stayed in the standard room and found it perfectly adequate. The bed was very comfortable and enjoyed the wine gums at turndown! The bathroom products were gorgeous, and the shower was good. We popped up to see the trailer park, not my cup of tea but I'm sure some people find it fun. There is a bar up on the roof, and a bar on the 1st floor. We didn't stay in either of them but they both looked like nice places to hang out. The location is popular with backpackers and we struggled to find any quality places to eat, as they all cater to the student crowd which isn't really my scene. It was noisy at night, but not massively so, more like bottles in the street, people shouting etc, nothing you wouldn't get in any large city at night. The best thing was the breakfast which was delicious. One thing that didn't seem to make sense is the limited wireless access; why not just open wireless to guests rather than having them have to get a voucher from reception each day? Despite what it says on the website, I didn't find it really funky, it looked as if it needs a bit of a face lift to bring it up to a 4 star luxury standard. The staff were all lovely and friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bryony S, General Manager at Grand Daddy Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your lovely, honest and thorough review of your stay with us in October. We appreciate your feedback.
I am delighted to read that you loved the breakfast. We believe it is the most important meal of the day and it is very important that our guests head out to explore our beautiful city with plenty of energy! I have to agree that our beds are very comfortable and we also love the Beautiful Earth bathroom products that are proudly South African products.
Wireless Internet is still relatively expensive in Cape Town (but this should be changing soon) and the voucher system is the system that works best for us for the time being.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the Grand Daddy and Cape Town in the near future.
Royal Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Ideally located on trendy/busy long street. Rooms were adequate and included breakfast was very nice. Front desk staff was very helpful with arranging daytrips and dinner reservations. Get your rates in writing and in your currency since there seems to be some " leeway" in what they quote vs what they charge. If you haven't done your homework, the hotel hosts parties on the roof on weekends so there is pounding music on Friday and Saturday nights until 2 am so don't expect to sleep before that. The rooftop bar and trailer park are a very cool sight. Ask the front desk and they will give you a tour of all the trailers that are empty, each one has a unique interior.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your stay. We appreciate all your feedback and the opportunity to constantly improve.
I was very pleased to read that the staff were helpful and that you had the opportunity to have a look at our unique airstream trailers.
Regarding the rate, I believe you spoke to our reception manager when you extended your stay with us and there was a misunderstanding when he quoted in South African Rands and you thought it was Dollars. We work on set rates which do not fluctuate as this makes it easier for our Front Desk staff to help guests who want to extend or deal with walk in guests. I would also like to note that we did honor the rate that you understood to have been quoted.
We do host events at the hotel on some Friday and Saturday nights however we have a very strict policy about the music being turned down at 12am and it must be off by 1am and should the Manager on Duty receive a complaint prior to this time then the music will be turned down straight away. Our guests always come first.
Foz do Iguacu, PR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I will confess that I arrived at the hotel late and night and tired, my initial view of the area did dismay me. I am glad I stayed 4 nights as my initial perception was wrong as the following morning I realised how great a hotel and location this was.

The hotel staff are very polite, this includes the reception who were always willing to help. As well as the restaurant, bar staff and cleaning / service staff. My colleague and I had rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor, I would recommend the 3rd floor if you are staying the weekend. The hotel has some lively bars and the daddy cool lounge plays loud and late.

The rooms were clean, large and well appointed. The beds very comfortable and the aircon was good. The bathroom was clean, the shower OK but some more power would be nice. My only negative on the bathroom is that no hand soap was provided (in any room as far I can tell) which is very surprising as the normal shampoo / body lotion etc was provided. Purely on healthcare grounds I'd expect hand soap, this is the first time I have ever been to a hotel that doesn't supply it.

Internet (wireless) is available and you can get free vouchers daily from reception (max 50Mb per day) otherwise you need to pay for access. There are also a couple of iMacs available in reception to use which gives you free access.

The rooftop bar is nice and snug, you are also close to the airstream campers on the roof. Great to see them and I'd probably of stayed in them if I was in my 20's. However I can imagine they can be quite noisy and they do look cramped compared to my good sized room.

Security is good at the hotel, staff are generally around all of the time and there seems a good array of CCTV camera's around.

The room has a room safe, good wardrobe space, tea and coffee facilities and a nice TV.

There is a "fridge" but no mini-bar, you need to stock it yourself.

The local area is very good for bars / restaurants / clubs of all sorts, expect to meet some interesting night life as you are in the main tourist strip. Although we felt safe in the neighbourhood, standard safety precautions (don't show it, don't flaunt it and if your are drunk, get a taxi!)

There was always a taxi outside the hotel which made travel easy, we were going to hire a car but there wasn't a need as taxis are cost effective.

Room Tip: If possible get a room on the 3rd floor at the back of the hotel if you like quiet. The 2nd floor i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bryony S, General Manager at Grand Daddy Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for the lovely and very thorough review you posted regarding your stay in October. We were delighted to read that your stay lived up to expectations and that you found the staff to be polite and helpful!

I did just want to address a few of issues that were raised:
We do have music playing in the Daddy Cool bar on weekend nights however the manager on duty has very strict instructions to monitor the music level from 11pm onwards and should we receive any complaints from guests it will be turned down immediately.
We do provide small bars of soap in the bathrooms, my apologies that there were none in your bathroom. We will ensure that this does not happen again. The body wash provided is also a hand and body wash.
The mini bars are stocked on request and a list is available in your room and at reception. This can be done at any time during your stay.

Again thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope to welcome you back to the Grand Daddy Hotel again in the near future!

Kind regards
Bryony
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed in one of the Grand Daddy’s contemporary Superior rooms at the end of June on a local friend’s recommendation, and it did not disappoint. The entire room was fresh, clean, modern, and well-maintained. The towels and linens were luxurious and plentiful, and the nightly turn-down service (with candy!) was a treat. Small details like the body-length mirrors inside the dark wood bureaus made getting ready to go out such a pleasure.

Tech amenities like in-room wifi routers (extra $), universal sockets, and new TVs with USB ports for watching external media were a traveler’s dream come true. The air conditioner/heater was new, quiet, and had a remote so I could bump it up a few degrees during the chilly winter nights without getting out from under the thick bedding. Very up to up-to-date, and very appreciated.

The employees at this hotel were a treat. The doorman and front desk staff were always welcoming and helpful, and made me feel safe and secure in a bustling, new city. Major props to the cleaning crew; my room was always absolutely spotless. This staff cares.

Note that this hotel is right on Long Street, and while the balcony doors are insulated, you will most certainly hear the comings and goings of the city beneath you. It never bothered me. I found my room to be a wonderful respite from the hustle and bustle of busy Cape Town. One can find cheaper accommodations on Long Street, but not with this level of comfort and class. Phenomenal value.

I’ll be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Bryony S, General Manager at Grand Daddy Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review about your stay at the Grand Daddy Hotel! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and it is hearing experiences like yours that make this job so rewarding. I will definitely inform the staff about your feedback as it really helps to motivate them when they can see people appreciate the great job they are doing.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Paarl, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Very disappointed. This might have been funky and trendy 5 years ago, but now it is rundown. The carpets and paintwork are dirty. Reception staff ignore customers at the desk while taking long telephone calls. There is no parking! We were told to park in a public parade three blocks away across busy streets! The trailers are the most awful accommodation I've seen outside of a backpackers; stuffy, smelly, cramped, poor bathroom facilities. Not good value for CT

Room Tip: Do not book a trailer!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your stay at the Grand Daddy Hotel. We really appreciate all feedback, good and bad.
The Trailers are a unique type of accommodation and they get some very definite views from guests; people love them or they do not. Everything is Trailer sized and compact, which for some is just not comfortable but they do have all the facilities that the rooms have. I apologize that the experience was not for you. We do also offer very comfortable rooms located in the hotel as an alternative option.
We have a standard set for our cleaning and maintenance and I will address the issues raised with the relevant departments.
The building is 150 + years old therefore our parking facilities are very limited. We have however negotiated a great rate with Picbel Parkade for secure parking which is located one block away from us on Strand Street. I apologize that this information was not communicated to you clearly prior to arrival and will address this.
We get such lovely reviews about our staff and I am disappointed to hear that your experience was not up to standard.
Thank you again for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor.
Yours sincerely
Bryony Schultz
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel is right in the action of the very happening, cool long street. The rooms are lovely (we stayed in a luxury room) and the service was fantastic. Along long street there are lots of great bars, restaurants and boutique shops. The hotel really is in a great position, easy to get taxi's to the waterfront (approx 40 rand) and to table mountain (approx 80 rand). The only caution I would give is that it does get a little noisy over the weekend as it is the party street. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and it was a great way to finish our holiday in South Africa.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this great review about your stay at the Grand Daddy Hotel and we are so glad you ended your trip on such a high! Being in Long Street has a definite advantage of being very central and fortunately most of the clubs and bars are further up but you are right there is a definite buzz on weekends. On your next stay I highly recommend you request a room at the back of the hotel which are much quieter. We hope we will be able to welcome you back to Cape Town again sometime in the near future.

Been to Grand Daddy Hotel? Share your experiences!