“Average Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New Kings Hotel

You added New Kings Hotel to your Saves list
New Kings Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza Da Luz | 94 Regent Road, Cape Town Central 8005, South Africa   |
Ranked #53 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central
“Average Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Safe hotel within the city with amenities all easily accessible within the vicinity.. Short distance to beach and the hotel has views both mountain and sea facing. Breakfast is a fair spread. Disappointing however is administration. Having booked 3 months in advance for 4 rooms sea facing on arrival they could accommodate us with 2 such rooms, and the rooms were not ready despite checking in late, and key access cards refused to work and had to be reset each time we left the room which became frustrating for a stay of 8 days. Also poor system was having your parking ticket stamped everytime you could Exit the hotel... After the 4th day of stay, we were requested to move rooms which I refused.. Confirming that their administration system are poorly lacking... Else pleasant stay..

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Hebrew first
Lusaka, Zambia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I was very disappointed with my stay. Firstly I had specifically asked for a king bed and was instead given 2 twin beds. The room had no safe and no sitting area which was the main reason for my choosing that particular room. The TV was only showing 2 channels. When I requested that these be corrected I was told it could only be done the following day! I arrived at the hotel at 2pm so waiting for the next day was unreasonable. The 3rd day i moved to another room which again had twin beds instead of a king bed and additionally the aircon was not working. Was told by Naomi at reception that again it could only be fixed the next day. They knew the aircon was not working but put me there anyway. Suffice to say that the aircon was never fixed up to the end of my stay. Resorted to sleeping with the windows open. During all this time not a word of apology from the duty manager. I really felt like I had been singled out for this exceptionally bad service. Their attitude completely ruined my holiday mood. I however should say that Naomi at reception and Dennis really tried to do their best to make up for the shortcomings of management. Hotel may not be the best way to describe the establishment. The location however is great.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I spent three nights here for vacations in Cape Town and it was just fantastic. Great location, great room, great view, friendly and helpful staff, yummy breakfast. The location in Sea Point is really convenient. If you come here, do not miss it.

Room Tip: The Piazza closes by 9 pm
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for the second time and despite my continuous request to have certain TV channels (free to air if I may add that), my request have been met with less than satisfactory responses. TV is one of the few basics that can keep you entertained away from home and the inflexibility and choice of channels chosen made me wonder of people of color are taken seriously in this hotel. Channels available excluded SABC 1 (until I insisted on my second trip), SABC 2, 3 & eTV; Supersport 4 which caters for local soccer). It seems as if they are just happy to receive your pay and don’t care about your stay. I will never set foot here. Not recommended at all.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This hotel treated us very well for our honeymoon. They gave us a top floor room with a view of the ocean. The location is great and the breakfast is as well. The staff is helpful and very nice. We stayed there to save money so that we could spend it seeing all the beautiful sights. Most of our Taxi's to the waterfront were about 10 rand each way- so be sure to budget this in. Also, the few shops and restaurant that are located below the hotel close early - so you have to use the garage entrance when spending a late night in town. Some of the rooms have the shower/bath area right off the bedroom, with no dividing wall- which made for a fun honeymoon, but might not be for everyone.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I just came from Cape Town for a business trip. I stayed at the boutique Hotel for 4 days. The rooms are clean, and functional. The location was ideal as it is on sea point. the included breakfast is good, albeit being the same one every morning. The spa located in the same building was great to have and it was a great experience. The convenience of the location coupled with the price that was paid for the stay makes it an A+ experience for me. I will surely stay there for my next trip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Although the hotel describes itself as 'boutique', I'm not sure that's a description I'd agree with - partly because it's located within a shopping centre and partly due to its size and feel, which is more 'chain' than 'boutique'. The room was spacious and well equipped but I was located directly over the terrace leading out from the bar and was somewhat noisy. Breakfast was perhaps repetitive and, again, something I'd associate with a 'chain' hotel. Food didn't seem to be replenished so once the croissants had run out that was that! Other than the giant cockroach in my room it was very clean and offered value for money especially as it was so conveniently located in Sea Point.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the terrace!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to New Kings Hotel? Share your experiences!