“fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Head South Lodge

You added Head South Lodge to your Saves list
Head South Lodge
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   215 Main Road | Green Point, Cape Town Central 8051, South Africa   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Honeydew, Gauteng, South Africa
“fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I recently had my first business trip to cape town and the Head South Lodge was the chosen accomodation. I am an individual who travel's internationally on business more than I am at home, I have stayed in everything from a tent to the grandest hotels in the country. That being said, I have never felt as welcome as I did at the Head South Lodge. The rooms were comfortable and not lacking anything. The staff was warm and attentive to any needs, everything done with a smile. The lodge itself is in a convenient location near the waterfront so entertainment is only a few minutes away. I highly recommend this Lodge to anybody travelling to Cape Town.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
heads96, Owner at Head South Lodge, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Hi Robin,
This is a very powerful endorsement you have given here and we thank you for it. We certainly do try and make a difference. Obviously we won't be as suitable by others, and this we accept for all the obvious reasons.
Please remember that Cape Town is a great city for a holiday. We hope you will spoil yourself and we will be happy to guide you through that (or any other) chosen stay, just as we do with our tourist/holiday guests.
Kind regards
Jeff....Ramona & Meggan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

My wife booked us in at Head South for my 30th birthday and we were pleasantly surprised when we checked in. The large modern rooms, well light passages and the nifty cash tuck shop for your midnight snacks. The beach is just across the road for that morning run or evening stroll. Our host at Head South, Megan really out did herself and helped with the surprise that awaited me on my birthday. I would really recommend Head South Lodge if you looking for a nice relaxing time in Cape Town and value for money.

• Stayed April 2012
heads96, Owner at Head South Lodge, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Hi Iceman,
It is always great to get nice surprises and we are delighted to have been the provider. Of course much credit goes to your wife who made the choice. We look forward to the next birthday celebration at Head South Lodge.
Kind regards
Jeff.....and Ramona and Meggan.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a longer period (2 months) and had in advance made a quite good deal that was suitable for young people travelling. The deal included a lighter breakfast and other than that the same service as the rest of the customers. I really liked the area that was close to the ocean and quite easy to move around/be active. I found the local staff and the receptionists very helpful and friendly. They would prepare homemade soup at night and tidy our room very nicely. Unfortunately the hotel manager was very manipulative and I do therefor not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. He withdrawed our breakfast offer and made us pay. He withdrawed the room service on weekends and charged us for use of internet without informing us properly. The rates were ridiculous high! The worst part was that he tretend to physical hold us back when we were going to a trip, until we paid all the charges listed previous. This payment was demanded a week before previous payments and we were to afraid to refuse to pay. I hope this information is found useful. We have e-mails to prove the statements of this review. Travel safe!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
heads96, Owner at Head South Lodge, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
This is the third malicious review we have had from the group of students that we hosted for 2 months(the first one was removed by Tripadvisor). The original contract was for 88 days and the incredibly low rate of approx R200 per person per day was agreed upon for that period. Breakfast was included at a higher rate and the email to prove it was shown to the student representative who negotiated and settled the final account with me. So on that fact this reviewer is totally incorrect. Pity. The internet use in SA is very expensive and we have a limited Gig allocation which the students were told about. The fact is that they skyped daily to Norway and used up excessive available Gig. The students were told that anything above what we subsidized would have to be split by them. This they understood in the first month of stay. The cost charged was the exact same cost we had to pay the service provider.
Cleaning of rooms is a daily routine at Head South. We insist on this. Cleanliness is something we hold dear. The students got together and asked that we don't do so on weekends. This was not managements decision but their request.
Payment of accounts is always done before the 'stay'. This is accepted world wide. I allowed payment to be made at a later stage to suit them. When they decided to leave HSL and go out of SA for an excursion, I was told that some of the students would not settle their outstanding accounts. I am not sure why we should have allowed anyone to leave our hotel without paying. This really doesn't make sense to us, and nor does the accusation of being physically threatened. It is a blatant lie and I take exception to the accusation.
It is rather strange that the last three reviews from the students have been malicious and clouded with inaccuracies, while the prior reviews have been glowing. I have been told that there was a divisive student who was embarrassed by her errors and oversights and who gathered support from others and further took it on her own to attack me. It is a pity she was so naive but I have no doubt she will have learnt from this experience. If she had shared all the information on email with her colleagues maybe all of this wouldn't have happened. The points noted by this reviewer would certainly have been different.
The low rate of approx Euro20 per day was extremely generous on our part and to expect extras for free thereafter is unreasonable and unfair. Anyone who does their math can see that a daily rate of Euro 20 would not include the extras mentioned by the reviewer. I cannot imagine what experience they would have had elsewhere at that rate. I am pleased for their sake that they were safe and well housed at Head South. Their issue with me, the owner, is something that will pass in time. I am certainly pleased that some of the students showed decency and came back to Head South to say thank you and to tip the staff.
Of course all guests are entitled to give their opinion on this platform as long as it is truthful. Thankfully Tripadvisor allows a response from management and/or owner.
Having now done our annual Spring repaint of many rooms and public areas around Head South, we look forward to what is already looking like an awesome season. Bookings are way up on last season.
Stockholm
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The area is nice, close to the water and not too far from V & A Waterfront and Green Point area. The staff is also extremely nice and helpful, and truly went out of their way to make arrangements and make us feel at home. Unfortunately, the room that we stayed in had no heating, was cold and damp, no view and had mold inside the cabinet under the sink. There is no food serving in the evenings and not really too many nice restaurants within walking distance. There was also an incidence with the laundry service used by the hotel, who lost/stole an expensive shirt and a t-shirt.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
heads96, Owner at Head South Lodge, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
The guest is known to us. She was part of a group of Norwegian students (not Swedish) who stayed with us for 2.5 months at a very low negotiated rate.
We are delighted that she appreciated the staff on duty at Head South. It is a very important component of a visitor's enjoyment of Head South and Cape Town. We thank her for that.
With regards dinner, we don't advertise for evening meals. Notwithstanding,we do arrange such on request. In this case, because of budget, evening meals were never a consideration, but we did provide home made vegetable soup free of charge.
This guest was also given a room heater for her large room. Nevertheless, we have decide to fit that room with an air-conditioner with heating element. As much as we would love to, we cannot provide a view for all rooms. This particular room looked out onto the street and Signal Hill. I hope we compensate that drawback with our wonderful position.
If there was an incident with the laundry service then we would certainly follow it up and offer compensation. We have outsourced our laundry to the same laundry service for 10 years. A handful of similar laundry incidents have been dealt with before guests checkout, and hopefully most to the satisfaction of the guest.
Further, there is conflict in her comment about nearby restaurants and her review of Wakame restaurant which is walking distance from Head South Lodge.
It is a pity that in light of all the other super reviews we have had, that this review, with inaccuracies, should make its way onto this platform.
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

The hotel was recommended to me by a family friend. She knew I was going to Cape Town for a week on Business, and wanted me to be comfortable. I called up and the owner matched my rate for the other hotel (a business hotel down town) so I would be able to stay with Head South.

The location is Fabulous. Five minutes walk to the Promenade. Room was great, really spacious. They have an Honesty Bar so you can get waters, sodas, alcoholic beverages, and snacks whenever you like and just write them down.

They set me up on a reasonably-priced wine tour for a full day which was extremely fun. Also, the staff was so nice and gave great recommendations for things to do, places to eat, etc.

The downside is that there is no restaurant in the hotel for the evening. Breakfast is great, but at night, nothing so you have to go out. There is no swimming pool or work out room either, this is a small house-type environment. There are great places a short taxi away.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with work for 3 weeks. I have never been more comfortable or so well looked after in any other hotel. The staff are exceptional, decor is quirky and cool, the hospitality is second to none. This is the place to stay and I hope to get back there one day

• Stayed December 2011
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed in Head South Over summer and it was perfect. a wonderful location so close to everything, gorgeous boutique rooms, amazing staff who help with everything and nothing is ever too much trouble, walking distance to so much - highly recommended
Jeff the owner is a wealth of knowledge and Ramona helped with so much - a little gem she is !!
Felt like family.

Room Tip: Rooms are not large but considering I am rarely in the room it does not bother me