“nice room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of One&Only Cape Town

You added One&Only Cape Town to your Saves list
One&Only Cape Town
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dock Road, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront | PO Box 51289, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Ranked #15 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central
“nice room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

since they booked a twin bed we asked for a double room and the receptionist (very efficent and helpful) moved us on the Isola, room was fantastic, brekfast simply unforgettable but the property is below One and Only standards, nice position close to the waterfont. Nice staff.

Room Tip: book a room on the Isola
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridgit P, Training and Quality Assurance Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
We are thrilled that you had such a positive experience dealing with our professional team and that our facilities added to your ultimate comfort and enjoyment. I would like to invite you to give us broader feedback regarding the standards that you felt were lacking during your visit. You are most welcome to contact me directly in this regard.

Training and Quality Assurance Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
mauritius
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

we stayed at the hotel in December 2011 to celebrate my wifes 40th.We stayed in a garden room suite which was just fantastic.Kids loved the kids club so much we could not get them out so we had 6 hours a day of just us time.Only fault i would say is when i checked in they asked if we had chosen the hotel for special occasion,everythime i booked a resturant,Nobu etc they asked the same thing yet nothing happened..very bizzare but dont let that detract from what a great hotel this is..,

Room Tip: Garden suites just superb..huge space
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bridgit P, Training and Quality Assurance Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
We are so glad that you could spend some quality time with your wife and family during your visit and that our amazing Kids Club made life a little easier! Thank you for your feedback which is always assisting us to better serve our valued guests and we hope you do not wait too long before visiting us again!

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel in December 2012 as a family of 5. We travel frequently to cape town and this has definitely become my favorite hotel. The service is fantastic, the rooms are large and very comfortable. The pool are is also great. My kids aged 11,9 and 5 adored the kids club, which they rate as the best kids club in cape town. The hotel had taken them to the aquarium next door. The hotel is located at the very vibrant waterfront but is an oasis of calm the moment you step inside. I look forward to my next visit there. My only crit is that I wish they had more upmarket amenities in the bathrooms.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bridgit P, Training and Quality Assurance Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
We are thrilled that you have returned once more to the One&Only Cape Town and that we have become your hotel of choice! Our beautiful resort is certainly geared for the ultimate family vacation with our relaxed ambience and children’s programs.

Your One&Only family eagerly await your return!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The One&Only is a really great choice when staying in Cape Town. It is walking distance from the V&A Waterfront and thus very close to the buzz but at the same time while at the hotel it feels like you are at a tropical resort, totally unaware of the buzz outside - bliss! The rooms are beautiful, the service great, the spa is really worth it and the breakfast buffet is not to be missed!
We stayed there in August 2011 and recently (December 2012) treated my parents for their wedding anniversary - they loved it! The hotel also did a romantic turn-down for them re their wedding anniversary!! I have been to the spa regularly - so worth it!! And occasionally go for sundowners - very nice!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bridgit P, Training and Quality Assurance Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for your valued and loyal support of our little piece of heaven in the city! We are definitely ideally located to enjoy the best of the city life and our spa island adds to the lovely resort atmosphere you describe so beautifully.

It gives our team great satisfaction to know that we were able to spoil your parents on their anniversary and that we were able to make the occasion a memorable one.

South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The One & Only hotel is absolutely stunning. Reuben's restaurant unfortunately lets the hotel down.

We'd been wanting to visit the hotel and restaurant for a long, long time. On Sunday I went to the One & Only website and viewed Reuben's Sunday Lunch Buffet menu It looked lovely, so we made a reservation for lunch.

5 Star Hotel plus renowned chef should equal exquisite food and service. This was unfortunately not our experience.

When we arrived, we were seated at a 2 seater table by a friendly waiter who told us he was going to take very good care of us. We expected nothing less.

Upon investigating the buffet, I was a little surprised it was much smaller than expected, but very pleased at how good both the starters and desserts looked. (Mains were mostly covered up).

I had a small tasting of a few of the starters and I thoroughly enjoyed everything. I especially enjoyed the Cape Malay seafood salad and Cous cous salad. The biltong was a nice touch too.

I noticed some items which were on the menu were not offered on the buffet. No Gazpacho soup or Pork belly, Asian coleslaw, sweet mustard or Lightly smoked salmon gravadlax, salmon mousse, smoked snoek mousse. I found this quite misleading, as the menu was the reason we decided to pay Reuben's a visit on that particular day.

Then onto the mains. Again, we saw several items on the menu were not on the buffet. Like Aubergine and tomato lasagne, Roasted pumpkin and sweet potato bake, Rosemary roasted potatoes, Cauliflower gratin, etc. All items I was really looking forward to.

But on we went. I had 2 thin slices of sirloin with 1 slice of pork, half a gem, a small baked potato, a tiny bit of roasted vegetables and a HUGE yorkshire pudding.

Both meats were enjoyable. I absolutely love yorkshire pudding but this one was seriously overcooked and very dark, almost burnt. It was absolutely terrible. First time I've ever not been able to eat a yorkshire pudding. The gem was average, as was the potato and vegetables. As I was eating the meal I knew I wasn't enjoying it at all. A huge disappointment.

Once we finished our mains, we moved onto dessert. Again, items missing from the dessert table - I was especially looking forward to the advertised Black Forrest Cake and Bread and butter pudding. Alas, no such luck.

After choosing our desserts, we arrived back to our table and noticed it had not been cleared. The tables are very small, so we stood around feeling very awkward and looked around for our waiter. He was no where to be found. We eventually had to call someone else over to clear our table. This is not acceptable and quite embarrassing.

The small selection of desserts I tried were enjoyable but not spectacular.

With a R225 price tag for mediocre food and service, I don't feel it is value for money.

We arrived with high expectations and left disappointed. I'm so surprised because I really expected it to be excellent.

We had planned on visiting the One & Only for both an overnight stay and for their Afternoon Tea. I just hope and pray we have a better experience next time.

I always measure how good the experience was by how quickly I would want to return to the establishment. Unfortunately I'm in no rush to return, which is an unexpected outcome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your very insightful and constructive review. We can only apologies for the disappointment that you experienced and have subsequently updated our website accordingly. We have responded to your review on your Tweet deck and would like to invite you to contact us should you wish to discuss the matter further.

You are welcome to contact me directly, or alternatively our Executive Manager of Food & Beverage, Robin Thomas (robin.thomas@oneandonlycapetown.com).

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My family of 4 (including two children aged 4 & 6), stayed at the hotel December 2012 for 11 nights. This was a return visit from the previous year. The service and rooms were very good and the kids club was excellent, a variety of activities and the children begged to go back every day. The vast majority of staff are well trained and very keen to please. The breakfast is consistently excellent and the F&B manager is always there to ensure the quality of service is 'top notch', she took real interest in getting to know us as guests and making sure that we were being looked after. We are looking forward to visiting again soon as the O&O is our home away from home when visiting CT.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Your One&Only Family in Cape Town is delighted to know that your return visit was one filled with everlasting memories and amazing experiences. Thank you for your loyal and valued patronage.

Our Kids Only ladies certainly know how to keep the young ones entertained and they are always happy to see familiar little faces return.

We await your return in anticipation!

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

From the time we stopped our car outside the main entrance the experience was outstanding. Staff are fantastic and service is outstanding. rooms are stunning and the one we occupied had a fantastic view of the Marina and Table Mountain. Pool area, Gym lounge and restaurants are excellent and you are pampered althought not in an intrusive . Fantastic New Year eve function in lounge and they spoilt me rotten on my birthday.an unbelievable holiday and one of our best.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
What a pleasure to know we were able to play a small role in making your birthday a special occasion! We are delighted that you were mesmerized by the demanding views of beautiful Table Mountain and that our luxurious and spacious facilities added to your ultimate comfort.

Looking forward to your next celebration with us!

Training and Quality Assurance Manager

Been to One&Only Cape Town? Share your experiences!