“Many creative gourmet burgers” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Hamburgers
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Rijswijk, The Netherlands
“Many creative gourmet burgers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

When I lived in Cape Town, I used to frequent Royale due to their reasonable prices and delicious (and healthy, depending on what you choose) burgers.

After many years I am back here on holiday and happy to report that Royale is still going strong and still making delicious food.

I had the El Burro, a mexicanesque burger that was just damn delicious. My girlfriend had a burger with a salmon patty that she thoroughly enjoyed and which seemed like a healthy choice.

At Royale you also have a choice of normal fries and sweet potato fries. Ask them to give you half a portion of each with your burger.

Don't let the fact that they serve burgers put you off; Royale is no junk food joint. The quality of the food is very good and there are plenty of healthy choices.

Vegetarians will also be satisfied with the wide selection offered. I can attest that their vegetarian burgers are delicious and that even meat eaters might be lured by some of the options.

My only gripe with my latest visit was that the food was not as warm as it could have been. The place was very busy, and service can sometimes slip in such circumstances. But I still find such details to be very important.

Royale is in a trendy part of town and mostly caters to hip 20 and 30 somethings. However, I've taken my father there before and he was perfectly content. There isn't really anything for kids to do, so if you have very busy kids, you might want to look elsewhere.

• Visited December 2012

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Best burgers in Cape Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

No burgers compare to Royale burgers - remember to try the barbeque basting - it's delish and the side salads are also good! Will drive from the southern suburbs just for take aways! Mozzarella burger is my favourite but the sweet pea is also good. Oh and the sweet potato fries are also worth a try! Yummy

• Visited December 2012
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“awesome hamburgers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Probably the greatest selection this side of the states. Always good! Youcan watch Long street from the balcony while eating.

Visited September 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We ate here on our first night in Cape Town after a recommendation from a friend and then loved it so much we came back for our final night before flying home!
It's not sophisticated fine dining but what it does - it does amazingly well. The burgers are big, rich and meaty and despite not being veggie, I just couldn't resist one of their veggie burgers (the list of these spreads over two pages so vegetarians and vegans would eat well here) and it was just as good. Despite being full I opted for a mint chocolate milkshake for dessert which was more like a huge, melted ice cream sundae - amazing.
The decor is cool and the waitresses were all friendly and fun, giving my husband and I a good recommendation for a local club night.
We would definitely go back as the food is incredible for the price and it's just a fun and relaxed place to go.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“fun place, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Our group of 5 managed to get a cozy booth on a busy night. They take bookings for upstairs only; downstairs is for walk-ins. There is a great vibe to this place - fun but not too hipster, bustling but not too loud. Service was very good.

We all had different burgers, and all left very satisfied! I had the Cheddar Royale with a side salad (R68, no extra charge for the side salad). I am not usually one for restaurant burgers, but these were good quality, almost homemade style. Best burger I've ever had? Not quite, but still wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place for a delicious casual meal.

• Visited November 2012