“Lovely hotel in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Diem Lodge

You added Cape Diem Lodge to your Saves list
Cape Diem Lodge
5.0 of 5 Guest house   |   11 Vesperdene | Green Point, Cape Town Central 8005, South Africa   |
Ranked #32 of 149 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed at the Cape Diem Lodge for two nights and found it a lovely, quiet hotel in a very good location. 15 minutes walk got you to the Waterfront and an equally simple walk took you into the city centre. Parking was very easy opposite the hotel and although just off the main road there was very little noise. The interior of the hotel was well appointed and had a welcoming & homely atmosphere. The rooms were equally lovely with plenty of space and everything you'd need.
Breakfast was more than adequate with a good selection of self serve options plus a choice of something cooked if required. The staff were attentive, friendly and chatty and made my stay very enjoyable. The garden and pool were kept immaculate which was a lovely outlook when having breakfast.
I would stay here again without hesitation :)

Room Tip: One or maybe two of the rooms overlook the garden and patio where breakfast is served. If you plan o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Turkish first
in MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have mixed feelings because while it is a very modern guest house in a decent area, I wasn't totally comfortable there. It is a converted house which is wonderful, but I didn't feel I had much privacy as sounds carried easily.

I had a good experience where I accidentally left something behind in my room and Daniel made sure it got delivered to me as soon as humanly possibly at one of my next stops. however, I had a bad experience as well.

The manager was to give me a ride to the airport for an 8 AM flight on the day I left. I mentioned several times both the night before and the morning of my departure to the manager and staff members that I had this flight as I was concerned about the manager not even arriving at work until between 7-7:15 AM and I was worried that I wouldn't have enough time. I even mentioned that here in the USA it is standard policy to be at the airport an hour before a domestic flight. Everyone said not to worry and that I would have plenty of time.

My worst fear was realized as we didn't even leave the guest house until 7:15 AM. I got to the airport to find they had closed the gate and I was too late to take my flight. After paying a change ticket fee, they found me a seat on a flight an hour and a half later. Fortunately the rest of my birthday worked out okay, but I was very upset because I had done my best to avoid missing my flight and still did so.

If I ever stay here again, I would make outside arrangements to ensure I get to the airport on time. The breakfast was nice with a great range of offerngs The option of bathtub or shower was nice also.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
DBalbach, Manager at Cape Diem Lodge, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for your review !

We apologize sincerely with regards to the missed flight .

We offer transfers to and from the airport and always make sure that our guests are picked up and dropped off timeously.

There was a big misunderstanding with your flight and we are truly sorry for you to have missed your flight on your birthday.

Should you come back to Cape Town and to Cape Diem Lodge, we will be 200% sure that you receive on-time, complementary transfers on us.
Innsbruck, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This guest house is very well located because on the one hand it's in a quiet street and on the other hand close to the Waterfront and the City Center.
The staff is extraordinarily friendly and helpful in giving advise or recommendations.
The interior of the Lodge is very classy and you can definitely see that Daniel (owner) put a lot of effort in creating this house into a cosy and homey place!
I would definitely come back to this wonderful Lodge and recommend it without limitation!

Room Tip: Let them reserve a table for you at "Beluga restaurant" which is in walking distance. Grea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Very modern and tidy rooms, bathroom and bedroom connected as one, DVD player with lots of movies to choose from!
Excellent service.
The pool is nice. The location is very good, close to restaurants, pubs, the lighthouse and the V&A waterfront. Small and quiet street with no disturbances. Close to the Green Point Park.

• Stayed April 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time we have stayed at cape diem lodge and we have had another great visit. The location of the lodge is excellent with green point & the waterfront both within walking distance.
The staff were really friendly and were very accommodating with any requests and were always on hand to answer any questions we had. The pool area is also lovely with lots of space to relax and enjoy the sunshine.
If we did have a couple of criticisms since our last visit they are the lack of fresh fruit at breakfast and we thought the towels in the bathrooms could do with being replaced. These are very minor criticisms but only made to support the lodge.
Finally one tip would be to request a room at the back of the lodge as the two front rooms can be very noisey.
Overall another pleasant stay.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DBalbach, Manager at Cape Diem Lodge, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive review!

We normally always have a variety of fresh fruit ,at least four different ones but maybe that day it was not replenished quick enough.

We have also looked into the towel scenario and we have now replenished them with new, soft and fluffy towels.

We would really like to see you again in the future !
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Unfortunately we may be slightly biased as this is the type of property we would not normally stay in. We were staying in the Radisson Blu for 5 nights but could not get the extra night we needed so we chose Cape Diem for our last night before moving on for the rest of our holiday. We prefer to stay in hotels rather than guest houses. We only stayed the one night and it was very clean and friendly with very helpful staff. The owner has put his stamp on the property in terms of style and panache but it requires some work on the basic structure. The rumbling sliding glass door that crudely closes either the shower or the toilet afforded no real privacy. The bedroom and bathroom were basically open plan. The breakfast was nice although lacking a variety of fresh fruit. The staff were happy to provide you with a substantial breakfast if required. I am sure the property was advertised as having parking facilities. We arrived early afternoon and were lucky to get the only secure space off road. I believe the road outside is restricted parking. If you like Guest Houses then you will probably like this one. Apologies but we prefer modern hotels. I know people who absolutely do not like hotels so they may like Cape Diem. The write-ups from previous guests made us choose this one for our one night stay. They seemed to be very pleased with Cape Diem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wales UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Cape Diem Lodge was our first experience of Cape Town accommodation. We couldn't believe how lucky we were to have chosen it. The owner Daniel has achieved a very stylish, attractive property and he and is staff couldn't do enough to make our stay perfect (without being intrusive). We would definitely stay again and highly recommended it. Breakfast on the verandah overlooking the pool was special. The location is in Green Point, very close to the V&A Waterfront, in a quiet street. If you are considering this accommodation, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DBalbach, Manager at Cape Diem Lodge, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely comments !

Been to Cape Diem Lodge? Share your experiences!