“Superficially good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Riviera

You added Cape Riviera to your Saves list
Cape Riviera
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31 Belvedere Ave | Oranjezicht, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa   |
Ranked #31 of 103 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Superficially good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

First impressions were excellent. Good quiet location within easy reach of Cape Town. However, air conditioning did not work (as it was Saturday no progress until Monday). Superior room was clean but did not expect to have to ask for soap to be refilled. This does not mean that it is not a good place to base yourself. In other words, an attractive place but the service was not up to a good standard.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

One of my favourite places to stay, I visit SA once a year and ALWAYS stay at this delightful guesthouse. Beautiful location looking over Cape Town with incredibly friendly and helpful staff. Lovely saloon where you can serve yourself from the honesty bar, and watch the sunset. The rooms are incredibly generous and comfortable beds. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Cape Riviera is a brillant place to stay next time you visit Cape Town. Located in peaceful surroundings and close to main attractions such as cable car (Table Mountain), Clifton Beach, nice restaurants. The rooms are well equipped and spacious, and the staff is extremely helpful and serviceminded.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have stayed at many BnB's before. This one has returned to my memory often. Twice I have stayed here and twice Owen the owner has been there to welcome me / us. This speaks volumes about detail awareness and Owen does just that!
Rooms are spacious and stunning.
Breakfast is more than sufficient.
Venue is close to city centre but far enough to feel secluded and secure.

Room Tip: A must try !
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Cesena, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

i went in cape for work and i felt at home.
service excellent, breakfast great and it is located in a nice place... just close to table mountain in a residential area. thanks to all the staff of cape riviera !

• Stayed November 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights there in october 2012. we had informed the managers by email that we would arrive late in the evening and it was fine with them. Upon arrival, we were welcomed by a security guard that walked us to our room, explaining that a manager would contact us in the morning. The next morning nobody from the staff talked to us or showed us around (what is usually done in other guest house). In fact, except the two women serving breakfast, we haven't met any people from the staff during our stay. This could have been fine if we had not found out on the day we left that some of our money was missing.

In fact, I had put some Rand notes in the inner pocket of my handbag and I had swiss money in my wallet. Few hours after we left the place, I noticed that half of the rands (around 1000 rands) were missing and half of the swiss francs in my wallet (260 swiss francs (equal to 2600 rands) had also been stolen. Overall it was an amount equal to 3600 rands that was stolen in our bags which was money we had just withdrawed to start our vacations. Few days later my husband even noticed that two bank notes he had in one of his bags were missing too.

The only place where someone could have access to my bag and to my wallet during these 3 days was in the guest house, as I always keep my bag close to me and no one could have had the opportunity to search through my luggage during these three days. The matter is that the only time I would let my handbag and wallet in the room was only when we were at breakfast (juste across the hall), thinking that it was pretty safe (however we always locked the door when leaving the room).

I contacted the managers of the guest house to report them this matter and Lisa answered me. She apologized for not welcoming us and thought we were independant and happy guests. She then told me that they will be investigating the theft that i reported. She also said that the reviews founds on some websites reporting other thefts at cape riviera were scam and that they had proofs.

I don't think the thief will be discovered, but as there are no safes in the rooms, I think the guests deserve to know that they should keep all their valuables on them even when attending the breakfast.

Except this, the guest house is good. The rooms are big, clean and comfy (we were quite cold howevere as we didn't know how to make the heater work). The guest house is located quite far from the center of town and from the waterfront (1 hour walking), but is close from Table Mountain. The breakfast is small but fine, however the two girls serving it weren't smiling or friendly at all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
10172012uu, Owner at Cape Riviera, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Madam

Firstly the way you were ignored was completely wrong and unacceptable. I as the owner take full responsibility and I apologise for this. I would like to inform you that my manager has tended her resignation as she admitted her performance was no longer good enough for Cape Riviera thus exciting times as we welcome a new manager soon
Regarding the money that went missing I am afraid you are mistaken as no member of staff enter bedrooms while the guest is present. I have a camera in the office and the house keys were only collected after your departure thus it was impossible for someone to enter your room. It was a long way between Cape Town and your home so it could have happened at any time but thank you for advising future guests not to leave money in there rooms. This is standard practise and now guests are requested to sign a form stating that they will place all cash in the office which is monitored by the same camera that monitors the house keys. I am however sorry monies went missing during your travels and wish you all the best
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We came here as part of our honeymoon. We were in room 12 which is at the top of the property and had fantastic views, from the front overlooking the city and waterfront, and from the back towards table mountain.The room was big and had a huge shower and separate bath. We were treated really well and were given champagne on our last night as it was our honeymoon. All the staff were really friendly and helpful and offered good advice and recommendations for places to eat. We did the hop on hop off bus tour and the hotel is in easy walking distance to stop 7 on the tour. We also hired a car and parked it outside with no trouble at all. It is in a quiet part of the city and we felt safe walking around even at night. As a base it was perfect for us and thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 12 has fantastic views and is spacious with good facilities.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cape Riviera? Share your experiences!