“BE CAREFUL!!! A THIEF in the hotel!!!” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 Camps Bay Drive, Camps Bay 8040, South Africa   |
Offers & Announcements
♫ -50% Winter Special ♫
Ranked #7 of 14 hotels in Camps Bay
“BE CAREFUL!!! A THIEF in the hotel!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We just ended three amazing weeks of our honeymoon in South Africa, and the end of it was ruined by the AWFUL experience we had in our stay in Primi Royal hotel! At first we thought it was a nice place to stay, which turned out to be a big mistake as my husband's cell phone - a Samsung Galaxy S4 -was stolen from our locked(!) suitcase in our locked (!) room!!
We left the room that morning after we made sure that we locked the phone in the suitcase and when we came back to the room the suitcase was closed but the phone was gone!!! Somebody opened our suitcase and stole it !!! after the manager of the hotel came in to talk with us, she made it very clear to us that "this is "only" the forth theft case we had in 16 years�� and that "the only person that enters your room is the cleaning lady", and that she has no proof that our phone was even there! So she hopes we have insurance.. She also instructed us exactly what to tell the police so that the cleaning lady wouldn't be taken to jail... in other words- it was obvious that the manager of the hotel, and the owner who instructed her, did not care at all about the hard feelings of their guests, did not take any responsibility for what happened in their hotel and the only thing that worried them was that the good name of the hotel will not be stained!! We were very disappointed about the way things were handled, about the fact that the owner did not think that we should get any kind of compensation, and for not being updated about what was going on even after the police's visit to the hotel!! To conclude - we did not expect to get our phone back, however we hoped that the hotel will mind that something like this happened to guests in their hotel, something so unusual should be treated more seriously and the hotel should do something to make us feel better in a situation like this! Take our advise - don't stay in this hotel if you care for your belongings!!!!!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi-Royal, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Why Do Hotels NOT Compensate For 'Alleged Theft' Of Guest Property ?

Hotel theft is something that hoteliers worldwide take extremely seriously. Statistics show that - Theft and Fraud by Both Staff and Guests - take a serious financial toll on the bottom lines of most hospitality entities.

More importantly, not only are hotels at the growing risk of direct financial loss from Guest Fraud, but Unfair, Untruthful or Subjective and Exaggerated Reviews can be devastating and therefore hotels can also suffer irreversible damage to their reputations. This is financially very costly, because potential guests take their business elsewhere.

Apart from genuine cases of theft, there is also no doubt that thousands of people worldwide report money or possessions missing - in the hope of being reimbursed or getting to stay for free. That is called Fraud and we will not be held hostage to that - ever. And THAT is why every single one of our guests signs a Legal Disclaimer. That means you do not hold the hotel responsible for anything going missing from your room. The simple fact is that, if you leave anything of value in a hotel room safe - then it's ultimately YOUR responsibility - not the hotels. However if you need to keep valuables extra safe, then they must to be deposited with the reception staff and kept in the hotel's safe, then, if anything goes missing, the hotel definitely will accept responsibility. This applies to every reputable hotel in the world.

When you check into a hotel you do not show your money or expensive items and therefore hoteliers have no proof of anything claimed to have disappeared. That does NOT however mean hoteliers do not take every precaution in safe guarding your possessions. Of course they do everything humanly possible.

That being said: even in the best hotels, things occasionally go wrong. However Patience, Persistence, and Smile go a long way toward getting results when you have a valid complaint at a hotel - as well as being Realistic about your Expectation for Compensation.

Dear Hagit: To address your complaint specifically - please understand clearly:
1) When you checked into the hotel, you signed a Disclaimer which states:
Conditions of Residence: I hereby agree, as a condition of my occupation of the premises, that the owner/operator of the premises shall not be responsible and/or liable for any accident, or any injury to or death of any person, or LOSS, damage or destruction to any property brought by me upon the premises, whether arising from fire, THEFT or from any other causes and whomsoever caused, or arising from negligence (gross or otherwise) or wrongful act or omission of any person in the employ of the owner/operator of the premises. I accordingly hereby indemnify and agree to hold harmless Primi Royal CC or the owner/operator of the premises, their members, officers, employees, agents, contractors or sub-contractors in respect of any responsibility and/or liability as aforesaid. I acknowledge that - the wireless Internet connection available at the premises is unsecured and that I utilise the Internet at my own risk. I hereby indemnify and hold Primi Royal CC harmless against any loss or harm of whatsoever nature and howsoever arising, whether direct or indirect, from the dissemination of any data through the use of the Internet facilities the public areas of the premises are monitored by closed circuit television. I consent to the use of any surveillance material in a court of law should such use thereof become necessary in the sole opinion of Primi Royal CC.
GUEST SIGNATURE: you signed

2) You were shown your own personal electronic room safe in your cupboard, to which only you would have had the code - but which you chose not to use.
3) You freely admitted that your suitcase lock was easy to open and that you were often careless in only spinning 1 of the combination keys instead of all of them.
4) When you reported the incident, I did everything a Manager is expected & supposed to do. And yes - I told you not to ‘lay a charge of theft’ against your room housekeeper because neither you nor I had proof at that stage that she was the alleged thief. You even suggested it was one of our guests. You cannot simply accuse someone without proof! I advised you correctly: to report the phone ‘missing’ and the police would investigate further.
5) You reported the incident and there is a Police Case Number on the incident report.
6) I also reported the incident to the police; who investigated the following day and found no evidence at all to prove there was a theft and if indeed there was - who stole it. And I DID report this to you and your husband later that evening when you got back to the hotel from your day out.
7) Apart from reporting to the police, I also suggested you claim from your insurance. Yet you not only did NOT have your cell phone insured, but you did not even have travel insurance! Being seasoned travellers as you claimed to be - I found that quite unbelievable - as this is an imperative aspect of foreign travel.
8) It was only when you insisted that our hotel was not safe and you wanted to leave immediately, that I politely requested you stay, because you had nothing to fear. You had after all, extended your stay an extra 2 days, because you were enjoying your stay with us so much!

I only mentioned to you about the other 3 incidences of ‘alleged’ stolen money (never a cell phone or anything else) because I personally think that only 4 ‘alleged’ incidences in a 16 year period is a miracle in itself considering that hotel theft is rife – worldwide! And as with most hoteliers we will not to be held ‘hostage’ to any claims and we stand our ground on our Legal Disclaimer - which you agreed to and signed.

I WAS genuinely and sincerely sympathetic towards you and your husband and I DID apologise numerous times! And while I am not disbelieving of your story - you and your husband on the other hand were determined to get us to replace the phone (that we had no proof ever existed) and you both also wanted us to ‘‘Pay or Do Something - to Make you Feel Better.......”. I was given the distinct impression that your husband wanted us to cancel your hotel bill. PS: The cost of that cell phone was worth more than double your entire stay at our hotel. Put that into context from our point of view: Pay for a phone worth double your hotel bill plus cancel your bill - yet no proof of anything? Sorry - but no.

Lastly for you to paint myself & the owner as unfeeling monsters is grossly unfair. Of course we were concerned for your loss! And yes of course we value our good reputation.

But we will NOT be blackmailed by your bad review. Our conscience is clear that we did all we could under the circumstances. We once again apologise unreservedly and sincerely for your alleged loss, but we do suggest you take out travel insurance in future. Please consider this matter now closed.

We genuinely wish you well in your future together and in your travels.

PRIMI ROYAL MANAGEMENT

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Is this hotel perfect? - no. There are little things that take away from it being that - but they are just that: little. Overall it is one of the best value hotels I've stayed at - and by value I don't mean cheap. The location is amazing, less than 5min walk from Camps Bay main beach.

We booked 2 rooms - both sea facing superior rooms - and were a little apprehensive after reading some recent reviews - but we had absolutely no reason to worry.

We stayed in Room 10 (3rd floor) which had amazing views, was spacious for the two of us and a 2 year old, had a comfy king size bed, a spacious bathroom and outside spa bath. It also has a little kitchenette with bar fridge - would have been nice to have a sink and microwave as well - maybe to consider for future?

The service from every staff member was outstanding - no request was an issue - and everyone was efficient and pleasant to deal with.

Breakfast was a highlight - both cold and hot options were delicious.

What can be improved? Some finishings (curtains, electric cables, towel rails) could be updated/tucked away etc - but if you base your holiday experience on this - then you're off the mark. Towels could be updated as well - first few days great, but later they looked like older ones.

Overall I'd recommend this hotel for anyone from families to couples to anyone looking for a great venue at very good rates.

Room Tip: Go for the superior sea facing rooms (1 and 10). We stayed in room 10 which had breathtaking views...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Family G... All 6 of you ;-)
What a genuine pleasure it was having you all. Specifically that you were all so vocal in your praise and thanks to staff - even for the smallest things. You took our breath away on occasions. What a delight! Our housekeeping staff fell in love with you all because of that! And thank you for your honest appraisal of our hotel. Sincerely appreciated. No we're not perfect, but we continually strive to be. Deeolan, we've taken all your comments & suggestions to heart & are working on those aspects as we speak. Apologies for the slightly older towels on your last day. Our laundry let us down with their delivery (vehicle broke down) and we had to resort to using older ones, which was regrettable. The joys & tears in running a hotel never ends!

Please do come back again if you can next year? We'd love to have you back!
THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM :-)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband & I spent a really lovely evening at Primi Royal, thanks to Zane for redeeming the brand after a bad experience at their sister hotel.
The room was do divine, the outside bath is a real winner! We will definitely be back to Primi Royal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Aaah Robyn.... Breath of fresh air that you are. Thank you for allowing us to redeem ourselves over the misunderstanding at our sister hotel. And you're most welcome. I know we'll see you again! So until then...

Sedbergh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Great location,great & extremely helpful staff ! Really really enjoyed our stay & we were made to feel like part of the family ! Nothing was too much trouble & the depth of knowledge & helpful advice was fantadtic

• Stayed October 2013
Dearest Mike - I wish you guys had had more time...
Soooooo much more to see & experience in our beloved Cape Town!!
Please do come back if ever you have the chance!
I've got LOADS more to share with you! xx
New Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

the staff is amazing . rooms are awesome . the staff was very courteous and very warm . i truly recommend this hotel to travellers visiting cape town.particularly recommend room number 1 where i stayed . really amazing

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

PrimiRoyalHotel, General Manager at Primi-Royal, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Vishal
Thank you SO much for your lovely review & recommendation!
What a genuine pleasure you were.
Please do come again when next in Cape Town.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed in the top level suite, room #10 I believe, with the ocean view hot tub on the balcony. It was by far one of the most romantic, exquisite hotel rooms we've ever stayed in. The staff was incredible, the breakfast was delicious and complimentary. And the room service was also top notch, which was a good thing because we never wanted to leave the room. We've been thinking about this vacation ever since we left, and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend the third floor ocean view room with the outdoor hot tub. We initially...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cameron we don't have enough of people like you in this world!!
Genuinely happy & thankful for the wonderful world we live in. Bless you xx
And thank you for the wonderful review ~ albeit through the flush of love & rose tinted glasses :-)
You're MOST welcome to return. Anytime!
THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM :-)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The first impression was not welcoming (No sign to where the reception is - If I did not find someone staying there coming out of the lift, I would never have found it). We parked with great difficulty (I had to climb out and my husband struggled to get out of the car) due to the size of the parking available. They misplaced our booking, told us not to worry as they have one room still available (probably ours we figured - how wrong we were). Exploring the unit let us to broken sliding door handles (literally hanging by a thread). The furniture was broken, run down and tired, the bath was leaking, the howling wind screaming through the sliding doors due to it not closing properly kept us awake all night. We had a very uncomfortable sleep as we asked for a large double bed, but got a single and three courter bed pushed together - causing a rift in the middle of the bed - no romantic getaway here - we had to each sleep on our own bed. The towels were so old and worn and piled on top of an old towel heater that did not really work properly so could only heat a bit of one towel at a time. There were only a couple of TV channels not correctly tuned on an old TV, while they advertised cable and satellite and flat screen TV. They also advertise breakfast in room??? This was not an option. Elegantly decorated?? Run down is more like it, Bidet?? Nowhere to be seen?? The breakfast was not the normal spread that we are accustomed to in lesser star bed and breakfasts. The table cloth were dirty and no indication of the warm menu anywhere to be seen. The only highlight was however the warm English breakfast and coffee - very expensive breakfast though. This place cost me more than what I would have paid for a 5 star location in Langebaan. We selected this hotel as it ticked all the boxes of what we wanted for a quite getaway - but alas, it offered almost nothing. We have been around the world and stayed in many places, but never this bad. You always get what you pay for. This is definitely not a 4 star rating hotel - do not know how they got it. It sends a bad and misinformed message about Cape Town and the South African hospitality industry and the standards that we offer to world travelers. We were actually willing to suck it up. The final straw was when they asked us to move the next day after breakfast as another guest is coming in and we were staying in his superior room - we moved alright - we moved out! If we spent the night in a superior room I was not sticking around to find out how bad the classic room was going to be ... I have never left a review anywhere, but this just warranted warning to other travelers.

Room Tip: Do not stay there at all
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dearest Monica and Adriaan, I doubt anything I say will ever appease your obvious dissatisfaction with absolutely every thing you encountered in our hotel. I’m genuinely sorry about that & do not wish to explain or argue any point with you. You clearly have standards we could not ever hope to match. Suffice to say we sincerely apologise.

But for the benefit of future guests:

We categorically did not misplace your 2 night booking. You did an online booking which we have no control over and clearly something went wrong while you were booking (as it occasionally does) because the booking engine you used did not send through the confirmation to us. We did the best we could for you under the circumstances. A long time returning guest had booked and paid in advance for that specific room for the following 14 nights and we had no choice but to ask you to move. You would have expected the same if you were the other guest. I do however apologise for this.

The Tourism Board of South Africa inspects us on an annual basis. They inspect every aspect of the hotel before awarding the star rating they think appropriate. We also have mostly excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. So we must be doing somethings right!?

We have had 1000’s upon 1000’s of guests over the years and the wonderful, thoughtful heartfelt feedback we get on a daily basis from foreign guests is reward enough and that's what keeps us going. Thankfully most of our guests absolutely love staying with us ~ and for this we are extremely grateful.

THE PRIMI ROYAL TEAM

Been to Primi-Royal? Share your experiences!